Just got my cabin number ....couple of questions please

debsjc

I've just got my cabin number for the Noordam from the Immigration form on the HAL website. We had a VF gty and have been given a VB. I'm really pleased because it has plexi-glass rather than the steel veranda, and also a bath tub (I really didn't one of the few shower only ones) :)

However I am a bit concerned as it is very far forward, does this mean we will get the worst of the movement in rough seas?

Do HAL ever change the cabin number after the put it onto your immigration form. I would hate to get all excited then find we had been moved back to a cabin with no tub or flexiglass?

You can be moved again and won't know for absolutely sure what cabin you are in until you check in at the pier. It is not that uncommon for guarantee guests to see a cabin number on the Immigration Form and then later see a different one.

Don't worry about being far forward. You'll be fine. Really isn't much difference in 'the ride'.

We customarily take a mid ship cabin but once in a while have had to go forward due to availability issues and we were perfectly comfortable in the forward Suite.

You can be moved again and won't know for absolutely sure what cabin you are in until you check in at the pier. It is not that uncommon for guarantee guests to see a cabin number on the Immigration Form and then later see a different one.

Don't worry about being far forward. You'll be fine. Really isn't much difference in 'the ride'.

We customarily take a mid ship cabin but once in a while have had to go forward due to availability issues and we were perfectly comfortable in the forward Suite.

I cannot answer your guestion, sorry, however I am waiting for a guarantee cabin assignment and I am curious..... when is your cruise? We are scheduled to leave March 18 and are still waiting for an assignment.

If anyone has been assigned a cabin number then moved I would be really interested to know about it, and if you were moved up or down. :o

I have heard of people being further upgraded at check-in but I don't ever recall hearing about someone being downgraded at check-in (from what the Imm Form showed). :)

As far as "the ride" goes: we were in 8010 on the Westerdam, about as high up and far forward as non-officers get, on the Baltic. One evening I had to go down lower and further aft for a couple of hours, but DW wasn't bothered enough to come with me. Have some Bonine handy just in case!

I cannot answer your guestion, sorry, however I am waiting for a guarantee cabin assignment and I am curious..... when is your cruise? We are scheduled to leave March 18 and are still waiting for an assignment.

We leave March 10th, and the cabin number just appeared yesterday. I see from the roll call page about 3 other people got theirs yesterday as well, so yours should pop up in about a week :)

Sailed on the Oosterdam to Alaska in May. Booked a deal from an airline that shall remain nameless and experienced a real foul up. Booked the least expensive inside cabin. Because of the problem, we were upgraded to an outside cabin with a partially obstructed view. Our travel documents noted this cabin and we used that info for our luggage tags. When we checked in, we found out we had been upgraded again to an outside cabin with an unobstructed view and yes, the luggage found us with no problems. What a wonderful surprise.

If anyone has been assigned a cabin number then moved I would be really interested to know about it, and if you were moved up or down. :o

I've done a guarantee three times. All three times I've found my cabin assignment some time before I left home, and never had it change.

I suspect that once the assignments are made there are few changes made to them.

I have just joined so please excuse me if I seem too "green". We are sailing on the Westerdam on March 4 and have not been assigned a number yet. I have been looking at the immigration forms on-line and it shows "guar" next to room number. I am assuming this is where the room number would be if assigned, am I correct? Should I be looking any place else?

lovethekeys: yes, you are looking at the correct place. We did booked a gurantee cabin for our forthcoming Feb 24 cruise and one day the "guar" had changed to a cabin number. Don't be alarmed or surprised, however, if even a day before embarkation if there is still a "guar" or a "000" on the immigration form page. If that happens, you will receive your cabin assignment at check-in. Let us know how it works out for you !! :)

lovethekeys: yes, you are looking at the correct place. We did booked a gurantee cabin for our forthcoming Feb 24 cruise and one day the "guar" had changed to a cabin number. Don't be alarmed or surprised, however, if even a day before embarkation if there is still a "guar" or a "000" on the immigration form page. If that happens, you will receive your cabin assignment at check-in. Let us know how it works out for you !! :)

Bill, so how did you fair? Did the Upgrade fairy sprinkle a little good luck dust on you?:D

Lisa: we made out ok with our guarantee: we booked a Cat SY guarantee and have been assigned a Cat SS-#8095 close to those aft SC cabins! No complaints here-we don't mind being at the aft end at all! Looking forward to visiting your ship!! :D

If by some chance we don't get a cabin assignment until check-in, how do they deal with our luggage?

When you arrive at the dock, you will see Stevedores. (The men/women who take your luggage for loading onto the ship.)

The Stevedores have a ship's manifest and can look up your name and give you your cabin number.

Be sure you have completed your luggage tags and only have to insert the cabin number on the bottom. It will take you only a minute to write in the number and you will be on your way into the terminal to check in and board.

(pssst.... many of us give the Stevedores a 'little something' . I tease myself into thinking it's a little extra guarantee our luggage will make it safely aboard. Your choice whether to tip or not.)

Thanx for the response. We haven't gotten our room numbers yet. My TA called last nite to offer us an upgrade 2 a super deluxe suite for $400. The big difference that I can see is size of the balcony. Since the upgrade would be on a "guar" also, not sure what to do. Any thoughts? What I am really worried about is getting a balcony w/obstructed view. With the weather here in the sub zero range, I guess it won't make any difference if it is obstructed or not, as long as it is WARM!

Thanx for the response. We haven't gotten our room numbers yet. My TA called last nite to offer us an upgrade 2 a super deluxe suite for $400. The big difference that I can see is size of the balcony. Since the upgrade would be on a "guar" also, not sure what to do. Any thoughts? What I am really worried about is getting a balcony w/obstructed view. With the weather here in the sub zero range, I guess it won't make any difference if it is obstructed or not, as long as it is WARM!

Can you be more specific about what you mean by a "super deluxe suite"? Do you mean a SA/SB/SC Deluxe Suite? There are NO "obstructed views" for those! What is your guarantee for now? Is the $400 per person or total? If you are going from an SS to an SC for $400 pp, it's not that big a bargain, but for more of a step up it could be. More details, please. :)

Well, what CAT were you originally booked into? And the upgrade is to a SC minimum? $400 is a pretty good deal to move into full suite amenities. You not only get the larger verandah but a larger cabin and bathroom as well.

Can anyone explain the quarantee? When I booked with HAL they gave me a specific cabin and put us in for an upgrade. I do not like to show up for surprises.

Regarding Aft, we were told the best place on the ship (less turbulent) was the stern. That is why (at least with the small 100pax ships) we have used the owners suits and most expensive are by the stern.

I have been having trouble getting into this board all day! The guarantee was for a VA and the upgrade is an SS. The upgrade is a total of $400. They can tell me which rooms are available but can't guarantee that we would get any of the 4 rooms that are available. Why would that be? It has been a long time since we have booked a guarantee & I think it works differently now than it used to. Also a different line so that may have something to do with it. Thanx for all your feedback.:confused:

Archived