Price of Upgrade Worth it?

littledylansmom

We will be on the Noordam this Saturday. We just got a call from our TA that a Suite came available...We were on a waiting list. Right now we are booked in a VA Category. The available suite is SA Category...and will cost us an EXTRA $4591.00... On top of the 3600.00 we already paid. We will be traveling with our 4 year old son, so we could use the extra space...But, we could really use that money for another vacation later on in the year... I'm very confused...please help!!!! :confused:

We were in an SA and loved it. The extra space is nice, and the perks that come with that catagory of rooms is really awesome. But I do understand. $4,600 is a lot of money on top of what you've already paid.

We thought about upgrading to the PS, but wasn't sure we wanted to spend the extra $4,500 or so on top of what we already paid. We ended up being very pleased with the SA and will book that catagory in the future.

If it were me...I'd probably not pay that much for the upgrade. I'd use it for another vacation (which is exactly what we're doing with the $4,600 we didn't spend on the upgrade).

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

While I love S Suites the cost they are quoting you in my opinion is crazy difference between a VA to a SA. If they would have said something like $2500 I would say go for it. I just checked a couple of on line web sites and while I could not book your cruise I could chose the March 10th cruise with the same itinerary and I found SA categories for a total price of $7091.00, plus March 10th is getting bit closer to Spring Break time when it can be more expensive. I would save your money to use on another cruise later in the year.

I agree with Lisa - that is crazy - and honestly, if it were me (and ask my DH, I have no problem spending money, lol!), I'd pass. We have been on the upgrade list but never paid more than $2800 for all four of us on a 10-day cruise.

Imo, a VA with a four-year old will be just fine. :)

4 year olds are small and compact. I'll take an upgrade, even pay for an upgrade, but that price seems insane!

Unless that suite comes with a Diamond encrusted Rolex and your personal champagne fountain with Dom Perignon...I would think they were trying to find a sucker.

Thank you everyone for your opinions! We are going to stick with our VA. I agree, I thought that price was crazy...but I didn't know...as this will be our first time with HAL. Next time I will just have to book a suite in the first place so I am not at their mercy. Thank you all again! ;)

This doesn't sound like an upgrade offer---this sounds like a sales pitch! If you had wanted to pay that much for a suite you could have done it at the start when you booked your trip....and gotten a lower class of suite such as an SC os SY.

You will have a great time. Save the money---and spend it on more fun!

This doesn't sound like an upgrade offer---this sounds like a sales pitch! If you had wanted to pay that much for a suite you could have done it at the start when you booked your trip....and gotten a lower class of suite such as an SC or SY.

You will have a great time. Save the money---and spend it on more fun!

DH and I were offered an upgrade to a suite for $2900 last week for our March cruise. Yes, we would have loved the suite but we have been able to book a balcony in the past for the price HAL wanted so decided to pass and stick with the balcony we have. For some the benefits outweigh the costs and everyone has to decide what works for them. Even though initially I felt a twinge a turning down the suite, I am much more content knowing that I can book another cruise in the future and will have a great time in March!

I agree, Its not worth it. We have done the SA before and they are nice, but we were on the Volendam three years ago, and when we booked there weren't any available. We booked the next lower (not sure what it is, I dont' think its SS on the Volendam) and we were very pleased with it. So, we look now at the difference in price and if its a lot, we won't do it. The smaller rooms are just fine for us

That's crazy! We just upgraded on the Zuiderdam for this weekend, from a VA to an SY for $199US each...that's it!

Sounds like what happened to us a few years ago with another cruise line. Went from a mid-ship balcony to a stern suite for only $150:D The original cost of a suite was just too dear for our pocketbook, so this offer (made two weeks before sailing) was grabbed in a heartbeat.

I sure think you made the right decision!!! They were asking for more than you already paid! That's another whole cruise with a few extras!:D

You will have a fabulous time in your VA and you can almost feel +$4000 richer! (That's if you rationalize the way I do;) ). Have a great cruise!

Archived