New Queen Victoria Pics

Tyron

• 3 weeks later...
What's with the "Nassau" painted over the raised metal "Southampton" underneath on the stern?

I read somewhere that there's an actual reason for this (I can't remember if it has something to do with taxes or not...) Basically, while the ship is being built, for classification purposes it's registered in the Bahamas. Once the ship is officially handed over to the cruise line, 'Nassau' is painted over, and the raised letters on the stern (in QV's case, 'Southampton') are painted white. Holland America has done this on all of their recent newbuilds, changing their registry to Rotterdam once complete.

The Vista-Class design they are using for QV isn't terribly ugly. But I wish they would have reconfigured the design of the stern. To make it look more like the QM2's and QE2's sterns.

They've used a combination of the Vista bow (open balconies vs enclosed superstructure on Spirit) Spirit centre section (no external elevators vs Vista) and the latest Vista stern (like Noordam - steeper than the original Vista class) - which they are going to retrofit the earlier HAL Vistas to to get in more cabins.....

Peter

.......and the latest Vista stern (like Noordam - steeper than the original Vista class) - which they are going to retrofit the earlier HAL Vistas to to get in more cabins.....

Peter

How do you know that ?????

Ken

How do you know that ????? Ken

Compare the following deck plans at the stern:

Before:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=we&deck=n&year=next

Last side starboard cabin is VA8127 - aft cabins 68 feet from stern

After:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=we&deck=n2&year=next

Last starboard side cabin VA8139 and aft cabins now 34 feet from stern.

In the old days it was 'counting rivets' - now its 'counting modular cabins'.

Checking again it looks as though the QV is somewhere between the two - she has 8 cabins to the side aft of the lift tower, Westerdam 7 before after, 10. So looks like each cabin is 11 feet wide - and the QV a little more sharply raked than the original Vistas, but not as vertical as the newest.

Peter

How bizarre - obviously HAL's Vistas are sailing full and making a good profit for them to go to this extent to add a few more cabins. Strange there has been no 'news' of this anywhere - not that I follow HAL that closely.

Ken

Another difference is that the QV is not using all the cabin space on 1 deck that the HAL ships use. Compare:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=we&deck=m&year=next

With the QV deck plans. The QV has more cabins forward of the lobby each side (31) than Westerdam (28) - this is the extra centre section around 10 metres - but only uses 12 cabins aft of the lobby on the starboard side - whereas Westerdam has 19/20 both port and starboard. So I guess the Port cabins will be for Officers/Crew.

Peter

Just a note do not use the Westerdam, Zuiderdam, or Oosterdam as a guide for the Vista Class Ships. If you are going to do this then you need to use the Noordam which is longer on a couple of decks and some of the areas have been switched up so I am thinking QV is actually another name for the Noordam except it has the Cunard touch to it.

One last note Westerdam goes into dry dock this summer after the TA for a month to become like the Noordam then the other two will follow.

Paul

I didn't see this link posted previously anywhere so I decided to post it for you all again....enjoy! :)

hey guys...checked the carnival freedoms webcam again tonight and unfortuantely the the QV has disappeared from view....either they have changed position of the web cam....or taken her out for a spin....not sure which!...Pity...was enjoying keeping an eye on her.

hey guys...checked the carnival freedoms webcam again tonight and unfortuantely the the QV has disappeared from view

Carnival Freedom was christened yesterday in Venice and sets sail on her maiden voyage today.

Peter

I'm not equipped with knowledge like Peter, but anyway we've been on the Westerdam around Christmas.

If you compare it to QM2 the lack of space was present all around (which was clear to me bevore). What we really missed were the open deck spaces at the stern. In addition the very low ceiling of the restaurant was another impression. I hope this (the restaurant) is going to be changed at the QV. Sadly that the stern is extended (by apx. 25 cabins) compared to Westerdam, so the ships characteristical outline will loose even more.

Back to the trip on Westerdam, I had the very rare chance to make a visit to the engine room for 2 hours. This was an experience not to be repeated easily.

we've been on the Westerdam around Christmas.

...the very low ceiling of the restaurant was another impression. I hope this (the restaurant) is going to be changed at the QV.

Robert,

AFAIK the height of the decks is identical between QV and Vista/Spirit classes - I certainly have not read anything to the contrary - so most will dine in two separate dining rooms, with what you found to be a low ceiling. The space at the front with the open well I suspect will feel more spacious as you enter, but only a minority will dine here, as it extends a little under half way into the dining room - according to the deck plan. However, it does look better than the 'hole in the middle' for the well on the Vista Class.

Peter

HALNoordamZuiderdam.jpg.c55bec8680dfaa544038b3b41dc1ae89.jpg

Hello,

We sailed the Noordam, and have attached a photo taken in Tortola beside the Zuiderdam - compare the back cabin angle of the two Vista class ships.

I agree that the Noordam has a low dining room ceiling.

Alan

Carnival Freedom was christened yesterday in Venice and sets sail on her maiden voyage today.

Peter

bugger....thanks for the info peter....was hoping id found a way to watch the progress. All the other web cams ive found on the shipyard arnt working...:)

to Mustangs

Thank u for the pic. We've got a nearly identical one at Tortola with Zuiderdam and Westerdam but they look like twins from the stern.

Back to the thread topic about QUEEN VICTORIA, does anybody know the max. speed? Or is it the same 24 knt. like the Vistas? When I've been to the engine room on Westerdam I was told that when the hotel is in full swing there is no power left for full speed and the additional gas turbine is'nt fired up because of the dramatical fuel price.

Anyway it would be fine if there are some more hp available in the ships belly.

QUEEN VICTORIA, does anybody know the max. speed? Or is it the same 24 knt. like the Vistas? When I've been to the engine room on Westerdam I was told that when the hotel is in full swing there is no power left for full speed and the additional gas turbine is'nt fired up because of the dramatical fuel price.

It looks unlikely. The QV tech spec quotes 23.7 knots as max speed:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/uploads/QVTECHNICAL.pdf

And it does not specify Gas Turbine - only 6 diesels. In addition, afaik, the azipods are identical to the Vistas (17.6 MW x 2 = 35.2 MW), while max power output of the diesels is 63.4MW. Given that QV is a bit bigger than the Vistas, with equal power I assume she's a bit slower.

Peter

Archived