But that’s just my opinion …

Why do we need any formal nights? Do I have to be a linguist to read my menu?

I would never go out to eat at a place that had a dress code calling for more than a shirt and shoes, and I would never spend good money for faux food artists who drizzled a fleur-de-lis around a one-inch square of a chocolate confectionary delight. Give me a non-ratty t-shirt and a pair of Dockers, a wholesome eatery like the 99 restaurants [a New England chain] or Legal Sea Foods!:eek:

Now before you jump ugly on me, I just ordered my tux for my Caribbean Princess cruise at the end of August. I too wallow in sumptuousness of the catered affair that is a cruise. I just wonder why it is that a pretentious air, an elitist facade of a privileged class, need define any aspect of the experience. It is not a prom, or dress-up in mother’s closet: it’s a vacation.

Hi there UT Boston. I like that name! ;) And it's nice to see a "gent" on the fashion boards. Awe, us ladies are an easy group offering suggestion and constructive criticism to one another. We won't bite ;)

For me, I think the formal concept dates back to the "Titanic" days, and the cruise lines, through the years, have tried to maintain that formality in the dining room. For DH and I, it's a time to "dress up," to bring out my floor length glamorous dresses and jewels. For DH, it's a time for him to enjoy, too. I'm a paralegal by day, (suits, dresses) and DH owns his own electrical contracting business (grub clothes.) So, even if it is NOT a formal night onboard, we still dress up for the dining room. He wears nicely tailored linen slacks, button up long sleeve linen shirts, etc. , and I like to wear dresses, sundresses, etc.

I can offer you a tidbit of advice on the tux. We are both 47 and years ago, maybe around 10 years ago, 80% of the men wore a tux for formal nights. Nowadays, sadly, that ratio has inverted. You will see 20 to 25% wearing a tux with the rest in a dark suit (and then the occasional "slob.")

No matter what, enjoy your upcoming cruise! ;)

Janet

In our lives today there is little need to really dress up, espeically for the womenfolk. And we womenfolk love to see a guy in a Tux (I guess it makes us think of James Bond) But I find it fun to ocassionally get "all dudded up."

At home I do not frequent those really formal places mainly because I'd rather put my money into my cruise fund.

Untailored - you answered your own question! Most of us don't dress like that on a day-to-day basis, I know I don't. Even going out to dinner at home doesn't call for that kind of dress. And when we do go out, there is very little drizzling or fleur-de-lis involved. LOL.

Dressing for formal nights is part of the vacation for us. A chance to do something we don't really do at home. Kind of like swimming with stingrays or climbing a waterfall.

Iszu - yes! You said it perfectly - kind of like the "swimming with stingrays or climbing a waterfall..."

Vacations are about reconnecting with your loved ones, decompressing, and dressing like you were sailing on the Titanic. ;)

I for one hate formal night.....lol...i hate to dress up as does my husband, we happen to have to dress formally several times during the year, and when we are on vacation, would just as soon skip that part....one can only have so many pictures of themselves in a gown and tux, so we don't bother with having our picture taken...so why bother. that is why we have cruised on NCL Dawn....with freestyle,(and are doing a repeat this Sept) there is no need to adhere to a formal dress code on formal night. You can dress casual, and still enjoy the dining room experience!!! Thats not to say we go to the dinning room in jeans and T-Shirts, just not all dressed up. Thank god for NCL and freestyle :)

Debbie

Hi Untailored,

I'm happy to read all opinions and you've expressed yours well.

Personally, I'm in the middle of the dockers vs evening gowns.

I too, would prefer that the cruiselines did away with the black tie evenings. However, unlike you, my husband and I love to get dressed formally, but we have enough occasions at home to do so. So, when we go on a cruise vacation, we'd prefer to leave the ultra formalwear at home. It's just more stuff to pack. However, you'd never see either of us show up at dinner in a pair of Dockers and a polo shirt.....either here at home or on a cruise. DH wears nice patterned Long sleeve button down shirts (a la Jhane Barnes) sometimes with a "dressy" cotton sweater on top. I like to wear a pair of dress pants (crepe, silk, etc) or a dressy skirt with a nice dressy top - not black tie, but certainly too dressy for lunch.

BTW, take a look at Oceania Cruises, they don't have any formal nights. We've taken one cruise with them and will be on another next winter to South America.

As far as food goes, I think there's a lot to be said for presentation. While I can appreciate a place like Legal Seafood that serves one dimensonal, "plain ol' good food", I do appreciate a creative chef who expands my palate, turns me on to new things and pairs together ingredients that I would never have thought to put together. I love exciting cuisine.

Some people simply eat to live while others live to eat. Those of us who appreciate a fine dining experience with elegant service don't want that to change on a cruise ship. Those that find it too "fussy" can always opt for the buffet or room service. It's nice to have choices. :-)

That's the great thing about a cruise vacation. You can chose a line that is casual in nature or if you prefer, you can go all out and dress to the nines. It all depends on the cruise line and the ship. Personally, I much prefer the formal, but that's me. You chose the ship that fits your expectations. :)

Beth

See, now we didn't jump ugly on you! You will look maavelous in your tux I'm sure, and you'll probably feel pretty dapper too!;)

It's all about the ambiance, I guess. You could try "Freestyle" if you truly hate it. We're going on NCL w/the freestyle dining, but we're still going to "do it up" a couple of nights.

Have fun!!!

and Happy Sailing!!!!!

Romy

Dear Untailored Businessman

For many of us, the formal night experience is one of the main reasons we go on cruises. We enjoy the ambience of the whole formal experience, gowns, tuxes, china, crystal stemware, fancy food, etc. We tend to choose cruise lines that will give us that experience and aviod those that will not. We seek a traditional cruise experience and some people will get very defensive over people suggesting that formal nights be eliminated or cut back.

Formal evenings are very important and very enjoyable to many people, including me. It feels very special and romantic.

Linda

We love formal nights. I even love getting ready with my husband. Watching him gather his tux paraphenalia is sexy to me. Strolling the beautiful ship and looking at everyone all dressed up is a treat.

"Why do we need any formal nights? "

I think you know the answer to that. Obviously we don't "need" them, but many people (and probably the majority of those that cruise) do enjoy them. I have had only a single occasion in my life which neccesitated formal evening wear, and honestly, I found it to be delightful. I am SO looking forward to our formal night on the ship, as is my son!

"Do I have to be a linguist to read my menu?"

Of course not. I am definitely NOT a fan of gourmet food and fancy restaurants - I never have been, but I am especially not since having lost almost 50 pounds. I much prefer to eat at home. However, I have also eaten in some very fine restaurants, and the experience (not necessarily the food) was well worth the time. There is something very cool about having waiters hovering about, tending to your needs. Pretentious? No - it's simply enjoying a different style of dining - one that everyone should take the opportunity to experience at some point.

Well, well, well… The speeches are over, and I won’t listen to Fox’s disparaging demagogic retort.

“ us ladies are an easy group offering suggestion and constructive criticism to one another. We won't bite”

:p My post was as characterized, “bait”. But also I am disturbed when I read “formal wear” threads that chastise individuals that choose not to “put on the nines”. Those individuals are not a lower class of cruise mates. Personally, renting a tux is easier than wrinkling a suit.

Also, I intentionally employed language to highlight the elitist class distinction of the cruise experience. Those that serve us must harbor a range of sentiments for the theater in which we indulge. They do not earn what they deserve, and their grace in the face of our demands is astonishing.

No matter what, enjoy your upcoming cruise!

Be certain of that Jannet.

dressing like you were sailing on the Titanic

I had thought of the Leonardo DiCaprio role when I wrote that. Are we really in quest of the affectation of a privileged class from an age gone by?

I love formal nights.. You get much more looks and smiles from women when you wear a tux then you do wearing dockers

I liked the comment in another thread by the woman that endured a gent on the adjacent balcony that embraced the full monty. She said nothing about how good he would look in a tux. My tux will not gather me a second glance, but my speedo by the pool will turn heads, away.

I too, would prefer that the cruiselines did away with the black tie evenings. However, unlike you, my husband and I love to get dressed formally.

Actually I am not opposed to it, I dislike the implied commandment to be in the uniform of the day. My wife does not want to do the formal portrait, or the formal dress thing. It is more my influence. All our cruises have been wedding anniversary cruises. This is year 33, cruise four. Everyone who knows us says she will go to heaven because she has been through hell! [ …and those are my friends!] The glitz is a backdrop for some other gesture that will make her tear. [Why are tears always the sign of a romantic job well done?]

As far as food goes, I think there's a lot to be said for presentation. While I can appreciate a place like Legal Seafood that serves one dimensional, "plain ol' good food", I do appreciate a creative chef who expands my palate, turns me on to new things and pairs together ingredients that I would never have thought to put together. I love exciting cuisine.

Hey! give steak and fries! Sterling here I come! One dimensional!? Plain ol’ food? Whatever…:rolleyes:

Formal evenings are very important and very enjoyable to many people, including me. It feels very special and romantic.

Linda , I understand. I think the women in our lives need to be rewarded romantically in thanks for enduring our ways.

So let me ask a real question. Could a casual only, just "plain ol' good food" ship/line thrive?

Good question. I vote no, it could not survive. I think the majority of cruisers look forward to the ambiance. But the paradox to that would be the folks that really cannot afford to cruise, want to cruise, would appreciate a "no frills" cruise. Hmmmmm, good question. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it an "implied commandment," at least not generally. It is objectively a suggestion. Only some people consider it any kind of commandment. So I see your inquiry boiling down to, "Why do some people choose to interpret 'suggestion' as 'commandment'?" I think some of the answers given already shed some light: Some people want the specific experience that they have in mind, and the want it so much that they believe it actually is what the cruise lines are guaranteeing, despite the objective facts.

Personally, I enjoy the ambiance and dressing up, etc. However, I'd be just as happy and content on a freighter. For me it's all about sailing...on anything, to anywhere!

But then, I've never been one to "run with the pack"!

7_3_111.gif

Happy Sailing!!!!!!!!!

Romy

"So let me ask a real question. Could a casual only, just "plain ol' good food" ship/line thrive?"

It may survive, but not with my business. I would never cruise with it. Others may.

I detected more than a little hostility in your reply and have difficulty understanding where it came from.

Beth

Beth - I understand what you mean when you say you detected "hostility" in the original posters voice. When I "see" this, I take a look at the number of posts, in his case, 4, and take it for what it's worth. There are those 1% on these boards who, well, you know where I'm going with this. ;)

"Its a vacation" it precisely my point :) Thank goodness there are always alternatives to formal dining on a ship!

Is the formal dress code more like a commandment then merely a suggestion of proper attire? IMHO YES Just look at all the "buzz" on this particular board relating to formal wear!!!

I don't need to see my husband in a tux(not that he doesnt own one) to think of him as sexy/ romantic, nor visa versa. To me, my husband is more sexy/romantic looking....in his FDNY teashirt, a pair of jeans.....and that "smokey grey color" to his skin....now that says love!!!!

Can a casual just plain ole food ship/line survive......I think so! I think more and more you will see cruise lines leaning towards the freesyle options that NCL offer.

"the folks that really cannot afford to cruise, want to cruise, would appreciate a "no frills" cruise." We can afford to cruise, but we have more occasions to dress formally in "real life" then I care to count....that is why on vacation...I want to avoid all the glitz!!! Besides, it makes packing easier :)

JMHO

Debbie

"Buzz" doesn't really change something from a suggesting into a commandment. I don't think anyone doubts that there are some who do want to impose formal dress on all passengers. The key thing is that (in the case of RCI and others) the cruise line doesn't. Their ship; their rules. "Buzz" is easily attributable to people's frustration with that fact.

Beth, JanetMarie:

Hostile? :eek: I give you my best Dennis Miller, and I am hostile?;)

My, we are sensitive, aren’t we. Why is it hostile to ask if a direct marketing to less pomp is a viable alternative? I asked that here since a trend towards that is already evidence by the lowered frequency of formal attire that is so often commented on in this forum, and others on CC.

I would sail on such a ship or line, but I strongly doubt that it would succeed. The reason , imnho, the industry accepts less formality is the way they have expanded their base and lowered their price point. I thought that folks with their eye towards cruise fashion might be “teased” into some comments.

Cruising is not my life, but I so wish it was. I read these boards from time to time. I digest their contents in my preparation for my cruise. There is a wealth of information, and endless links to other sources. I have not posted here in three years. Is that a problem?

in his case, 4, and take it for what it's worth. There are those 1% on these boards who, well, you know where I'm going with this. ;)
Actually, I don’t. Should I guess?:rolleyes:

I cruise for the sea, not the food, not the fashion, and not the destination. But when in Rome ... .

Hi..I wasn't going to reply but now I am.....

quote:

" I give you my best Dennis Miller, and I am hostile?;)"

Well...Dennis Miller is well known for his sarcasm....some folks like him, some don't....so I am guessing you do.....

Remember, we cannot see facial expression on the internet...and we cannot "read tone" on here.

I am guessing you knew the answer to your post..when you posted the topic to begin with...

I am just playing devil's advocate here. You can post whenever you like and there will always be people who love formal nights... and those who don't.

I love to get dressed up.....I don't have a husband, mate, partner, whatever its called these days;). I don't have the opportunity to get "decked out" here at home....its nice dressing up...(formally) for 2 evenings on a cruiseship!

Hi Janet:D

Archived