Restaurant Prices

I have been looking at some St Petersburg restaurant menus on line and there prices are in units? What does this mean? For example the Grand Europe has a green salad for 11.00. I assume this is not roubles. Is it Euros or how would I convert it to $US. Thanks.

Kim

I have been looking at some St Petersburg restaurant menus on line and there prices are in units? What does this mean? For example the Grand Europe has a green salad for 11.00. I assume this is not roubles. Is it Euros or how would I convert it to $US. Thanks.

Kim

Kim,

We had the same problem. It was beyond me what they were. They aren't rubles and they aren't euros. Unfortunately, our waiter couldn't speak a word of English, so he couldn't explain it to us. So, we just hoped that they weren't astronomical prices. Just to give you an idea, we ate next to the Stroganov Palace on Nevsky Prospekt, had stroganov, smoked salmon, caviar, and wine -- about $55. By the way, Grand Hotel Europa cafe, Terrace

Cafe is very expensive. A glass of white wine was $9.

Kathy

Is it safe to even eat salads in Russia? I heard that you shouldn't eat anything rinsed with tap water. Anyone have any experiences with this? Do they serve beef stroganoff over noodles? and how is the beef?:confused: :confused:

The web site for the L'Europe restaurant is http://www.grandhoteleurope.com. There is a list of e-mail contacts and I'm waiting for a response.

As far as eating foods washed in water, I have heard the same thing but have found in most of the better hotels of the world they have water filtration systems that deal with this type of problem.

We ate in two restuarants in St. Petersburg and in both cases the prices were in rubles, although in one they had had written Euros beside the ruble prices.

Oh dear, I don't have a clue which of the restaurants had the buffet. I know we entered a doorway off of Mikhailovskaya that was very close to Nevsky Prospect. There were tables outside that we walked by, although I'm not sure if that was part of the buffet or another dining venue.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it depends on where you eat, like anywhere else. We had the beef stroganoff at a restaurant Red October brought us to and did not like it at all, It was more like chipped beef. Sorry, I do not remember the name of the restaurant. Also, we paid $21 for lunch and had to pay extra for an additional bottle of water. This particular restaurant was definitely not worth the money. The following day, we ate with a Russian family in their apartment and it was wonderful. There are probably good restaurants somewhere in Russia, but we did not go to any.

Bobbie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Prices in Russia are interesting. Whe we were there in May, prices at the RO store were in USD, with just a number on a sticker indicating the price. Later in June, many people wrote that the prices were in Euroes. I am not sure if they upped it to Euroes, being worth more, for the high tourist season and not having to change the price stickers.

• 3 weeks later...

We must have had the same beef stroganoff the other poster spoke about...nothing to write home about! I did not touch my salad because I assumed it had been washed in tap water. They did provide us with bottled water though.

Regardless what anyone tells you, you better go to your local health department and start your series of hepatitis shots before visiting Russia. My TA, having been to Russia several times before, and even after warning me of what to eat and what not to eat, became sick herself after a return trip! She said that she believes it was from an ice cube in her drink. This bug had her laid up for a few weeks after returning home.

We ate in two restuarants in St. Petersburg and in both cases ate everything without pause for concern. We did not get sick and enjoyed our meals. I assumed, possibly foolishly, that our tour group had screened the restaurants for cleanliness. We toured with American Express instead of the ship's tour company. Hey, on second thought maybe it was the beer that we purchased at the meals - the alcohol killed the germs ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Kim

Hi Kim, this might be late in answering but others might find it interesting.

The y.e. is the Cyrillic alphabet equivalent to the Latin letters u.e. and it is an abreviation for uslovnaya yedinitsa or Equivalent Units or the Ruble value in US dollars. It is normally seen in either tourist areas or where the high price of some item would be scary in the number of digits if in Rubles. Rubles have been worth about the same for years, since the Crisis of '98, it has been the most stable currency in Europe.

Technically it is illegal to pay dollars but guides and tour companies often accept US Dollars or Euros. Currency exchange banks and kiosks are very easy to find, on every block in the old city center. As a warning, do not be tempted by the very good conversion rates offered by men standing around the entrances of exchange banks. The banks offer a good rate with little spread and are pretty careful about counterfeit bills which is a problem with those working the streets. Most local citizens keep their cash at home in $100 bills as a matter of habit but the banking system is starting to be used by more and more people so they can participate in the recent rush for consumer credit in Russia. ATMs are everywhere so just get as many Rubles as you need for a days sightseeing and gifts, say 3000 R which is a little over $100. For large withdrawls ATMs are a little better deal than exchange banks but for smaller withdrawls, the $3 ATM service charge is not such a good deal.

I moved to St Petersburg last year from San Francisco after visiting frequently for years.

Stan

Hi Eddie

I just wrote a long detailed reply and it disappeared from the box while I was writing;>( Here is goes again. I love food but in the last year or so I have not been able to spend as much as I used to routinely. As a result I found eateries that fit my budget whenever possible and save the nice restaurants for special dates.No question about it, cafes, restaurants and grocery stores are getting expensive in St Petersburg compared to a few years ago. I'll concentrate on lunches because I think most cruisers will be out on the street during the day. For those who want familar looking and tasting food, along Nevsky prospekt there is typical array of western fast food places; KFC ( south of Mayakovskogo ul. and the other north of Moika River), Subway (between Moika and Griboedova canal), McDonlds (45 Nevsky pr and another one on Mala Morskaya). I mentioned before Elki Palki south of Lityniy prospekt on Nevsky prospektis a pleasant Russian village decor with a very good cold food bar like a salid bar but seafood and other items included all you can eat for 230Rubles($7.90), One of the best all you can eat deals in town is Antipasto bar at a nice Italian restaurant named El Patio on 30 Nevsky prospekt priced at 210 Rubles($7.25). A real deal is a chain of Russian answer to McDonalds called Blin!Donalts at 18 Zhukovskogo ul. where Blinis..Russian buckwheat pancakes filled with meat, cheese or fruit compote, or pelemini--Siberian ravioli- a cheap favorite, and Russian soups and salads for less than $1 ea. There is a student special with tea, soup and an entre for $1 !!. The menus are not in English but just point to the items based on photos. Anywhere you go, someone speaks English, the kids all take it in school from the second grade on so speak slowly and using simple standard words and most Russians will figure out what you want. For cafes, try Abrikosov known better by its address; 40 Nevsky pr across the street from the famous 18th century shopping center Gostinny Dvor is English friendly and is conveinent. If the weather is good, try any outdoor cafe for people watching, a favorite pasttime. A large British style restaurant, bar, dance club called the Red Lion is located directly west of the famous Bronze Horseman statue north of St Isaac Cathedral near the river has god beer( Try Tinkov unfiltered brewed in St Petersburg....humm, and I don't even like beer that much;>), British pub food for reasonable prices..salmon filet and salad is about $6

I'll write a list of suggestions for special dinners in another post. There are some Great restaurants in St Petersburg of most cuisines but most are pricy.

Any other questions just let me know

Good cruising

Stan

...There are some Great restaurants in St Petersburg of most cuisines but most are pricy...

Good morning, I am interested in getting more information. What is your definition of pricy? Do these "grat restaurants" serve Russian foods? I'm interested in finding a nice restaurant, but a price range of $15-$20 per person for a full meal. Something memorable.

Can you also elaborate on the food served at the buffets you mentioned? Do they have Russian foods too?

Thanks!

Monica

Hi Monica

I am sorry I did not define my criteria for Great and Pricy. Pricy would be, including a decent bottle of wine, more than $150. Wine is the big variable, good French and California wine is pretty expensive in Russia but Moldovan, Georgian, New Zealand, and wine from Chile are all reasonable however. California wines have a higher market here than French and Spanish and Italian.

For $20 per person without wine I think there are several good Russian cuisine restaruants. I like 1913 God which is a small formal restaurant. I know how to get there but I forgot the address, on Yakubovicha near St Isaac Sq. An old style Russian restaurant that on Fontanka riki called Demidova has a beautiful curved painted ceiling and Gypsy performers. Pretty authentic menu. There is a cafe next door which is cheaper that features Georgian food by the same name and owners. If you stay on the lower end of the menu prices, Onegin is a very nice atmosphere, a newish and very popular restaurant in a good location at #13 Sadovaya ul. best time is not weekends if you don't have time to make reservations a day or so in advance. A "catch it yourself" restaurant on Krestovsky Island called Russkaya Ribalka on Uzhnaya ul. #11 is considered pretty good by Russians. I've had poached Sterlit there that was very good that was about $20 for the entree.

Georgian food is very popuar with Russians and there are some good ones in that price range. I like the Ket Cafe on the street behind the Nevsky Palace Hotel, very good food, entrees $6-10 The more I think the more good meals I can remember around the city.

For really nice food, service and atmosphere there are many top restaurants some in the big hotels but I'll recmmend a few that are not so wel known For the best combination of food and relaxing yet elegant atmosphere with the best dinner jazz combo in town, the Old Customs House is my firstt choice. Figure on $150 with wine. It is across the river from the Admiralty right behind the old Stock Exchange/now Naval Museum Another favorite for French food is Le Francais at 20 Galernaya near the Bronze Horseman. Very good food yet a deal, dinner for two with a decent French wine will be $80. Italian cuisine is well represented in St Petersburg. There is a floating restaurant called Aquarel which is quite good but it is more Continental than tradional Italian. A popular traditional Italian restaurnt of pretty good food is Mama Roma right Italiansky 1 block east of Nevsky pr on Karavannaya ul. One I mentioned for lunch is good for dinner also and is in a perfect location at 30 Nevsky pr is Il Patio. It used to be called Patio Pizza but it was much too good to be confused with a pizzeria so they remodeled it a year ago and made it more elegant but not more expensive. A step lower but still good is La Strada at 27 Bolshaya Konyushennaya, good location and modern interor.

If you like vegetarian check out the Idiot, a very cozy little below street level restaurant that has become very popular with foreigner and locals alike.

In recent years, Asian food in your price range has become very popular, at least 30 Sushi restaurants have opened in the last 18 months. For an elegant, really minimalist but very relaxing atmosphere, try Silk on Mala Konyushennaya. It is pretty expensive sushi but worth the atmoshpere if you are looking for a romantic evening. I like to go there after the theater or concert for wine for a special date. I've had very good Central American and Cuban food at Guantanimara a new restaurant on Moshkov per. right in the middle of your price range. Want a great hamburger or bowl of chili? Try City Bar when the American woman owner is cooking. at 10 Millionnaya ul., a little ex-pat bar/cafe where everybody in the place speaks English even though most of the customers are Russian. Eileen, the owner is a good cook but she is a little crazy as New Yorkers go. For more English but with an Irish accent, the Shamrock is a friendly pub style restaurant with good Irish food ($6-12) and in the evening some of the best Irish accustic muscians around play or jam. It is in a great location for after the Ballet, since is directly across the street from the beautiful Mariinsky Theater...a must see even is you do not like ballet or classical music.

I am getting tired of typing(two fingers) so that should get you started

As you can see St Petersburg really is an international city and the window on Europe for Russia from the beginning.

Stan

Sorry Monica, I did not answer your buffet question. Elki-Palki is pure traditional Russian cuountry food. I like it, friendly staff, fresh food and a good deal.

The large hotels have buffets, the best location at the Grand Europa Hotel for one is Sakos which has more international food is $16 but while it is good, you can have such food in any city in the world so I recommend something more in keeping with St Petersburg

A favorite of mine is Italian, Il Patio at 30 Nevsky pr has a very good Antipasto bar that is worth every Ruble, well 210 Rubles actually.

In a related sort of deal for Sushi lovers, there is a Japanese restaurant at the corner of Nevsky pr. and Fontanka riki which as a $15 all you can eat deal that is popular.

The major hotels all have buffets but they are international typical affairs most often. There is one at the Nevsky Palace Hotel which I hear is good but I never ate their buffet. Their other restaurants in the hotel are quite good however.

I'll think of more if you wish. I only included those I visit often enough to know ho good they are. And I did not think it was necessary to enclude the the major hotel restaurants, some are quite good but not great deals. The Grand Hotel Europe is rather pretty inside though.

Stan

Archived