Alaska early September?

colmil

My partner and I are considering a cruise to Alaska early Sept and wondered if anyone would reccommend it weatherwise? The least expensive balcony cabin is not much more than the oceanview, are their any poorer cabins with balconies than others? Any other tips would be most welcome.

My partner and I are considering a cruise to Alaska early Sept and wondered if anyone would reccommend it weatherwise? The least expensive balcony cabin is not much more than the oceanview, are their any poorer cabins with balconies than others? Any other tips would be most welcome.

Give us a hint what ship you're on, or at least what class? :confused:

We have cruised to Alaska in May, June, July, and September. September was by far the rainiest weather we experienced. However, the weather in Alaska is not predictable. It could be great.

Whenever you decide to sail, Alaska is wonderful. You will have an amazing time.

B

My husband and I were on the NCL Star in Sept. 2005. We had mostly dreary weather, but 2 days were sunny. Apparently the cruise the week before us had BEAUTIFUL weather all week! I could'nt tell you what the weather will be like at home in Sept, muchless another state! Whatever the weather, enjoy yourself! Alaska is beautiful! We did have a balcony and we used it very often, even in the damp weather.:D

The ship is Zuiderdam.

From the comments, I may now look at August, which is quite a bit more expensive, but may prove worth the exrra cost!

Thanks to everyone for their comments, and any further tips would be appreciated.

The ship is Zuiderdam.

From the comments, I may now look at August, which is quite a bit more expensive, but may prove worth the exrra cost!

Thanks to everyone for their comments, and any further tips would be appreciated.

In six trips to Alaska we have pretty much been in every possible month. The only consistent thing about the weather is that it is variable! From month to month, from day to day, and even from hour to hour. Whenever you go, be prepared for anything!

Prices in September can be very attractive. Frequently there are fewer kids aboard at that time, if that matters to you. The days are shorter and the nights are longer, so it is a great time for Northern Lights but not so good for evening whale watching. The salmon are in the streams and the bears are usually feeding if you take one of those excursions. Ships are allowed into the left arm of Glacier Bay to see the seal pups. Sometimes, however, the snow on the glaciers is gone and the dog sledding helicopter trips are not operating. Many of the stores have end of season sales on.

As for balcony prices -- what you pay is what you get. Obviously the ships prices are set for a reason. More expensive balconies are usually located on higher decks and near midships, which is considered desirable. If the location of the minimum categories suits you, then they can be a great price.

Zuiderdam is a wonderful ship for Alaska. You will love her. Check out

The Halls Cruise To Alaska

for our review and pics.

Have a GREAT cruise!

As for balcony prices -- what you pay is what you get. Obviously the ships prices are set for a reason. More expensive balconies are usually located on higher decks and near midships, which is considered desirable. If the location of the minimum categories suits you, then they can be a great price.

But it's not just location that you have to consider, though. The four VH cabins, 4001 to 4004, have very small balconies because of the curve of the bow, and 4001 to 4008 have showers only because they are smaller than other balcony cabins.

Also, 4001 to 4042 have the steel-wall railings instead of the plexiglass, which means that you can't see anything but sky when you're sitting on your balcony or inside the room.

On deck 5, many would consider the mid-ship cabins from 5053 back to 5138 less desirable than the VCs forward and aft of them, because their balconies are shallower.

The year I did Alaska in September (9/1-9/8) the staff said it was the best week weather-wise all season. It was sunny---yes, even in Ketchikan---and warm. The days were in the 80's.

Weather in Alaska is a crap-shoot. Every day, every week, every month.

Ruth,

Thanks for that post. We are thinking of doing Alaska next year in early September and I am glad to see that the weather as usual can be so variable. It really is luck and hopefully when our turn comes lady luck will smile on us.

Jennie

We were on the Volendam the last of August and first of September last year, had PERFECT weather (even clear in Ketchikan) and the glaciers were MAGNIFICENT! I recommend you spring for a balcony suite since the Alaska itineraries have fantastic scenery pretty much the entire cruise and you won't want to miss a minute sitting inside. We've done 3 Alaska itineraries and all of them the end of August and the prices are much better than in June or July.

Archived