CC'er Neophite and Service Dog

dvdfreakmc

We are heading out on the Oosterdam on June 16, 2007 to Alaska. Certainly not the first time to Alaska on HAL (Have been as a couple on Rotterdam and I went 2 years ago with my parents and grandparents on Zaandam), but it will be our first time with my son and his service dog, Werin.

My son is eight and has autism, so Werin is trained to assist him with various functions. Werin was trained by Canine Companions for Independence and her work has allowed us the ability to travel, since my son is very calm, respectful and responsive with Werin by his side. She has been everywhere, such as Disneyland, airplane flights, and hotels (just not a cruise ship) without any incident.

Is there anyone out there that has taken a service or disability dog on a HAL cruise? If you have any tips or thoughts they would be much appreciated. We have already contacted HAL directly through our travel agent and they have let us know about the relief area that they will prepare.

Thanks in advance if you have any comments or tips. THANKS!:o

We don't personally have or require a service dog but we have been aboard ships several times with passengers who had service dogs with them. On one cruise, there was a table for four beside us in the dining room and the dog was incredible to observe. Every pet lover in the vicinity was immediately in love with him/her.....I don't remember the dog's name.

HAL is well able to provide everything you will require for the dog's care and comfort.

Have a GREAT cruise.

Werin, a golden lab, engenders the same affection everywhere she goes with us. It is all we can do to have people not pet her constantly -- but she gives "shakes" (which is allowed") all the time. Even though she lives with us, I am amazed how controlled and disciplined she is in public and also how she has changed my son's view and interaction with the world, so much for the better.

My wife isn't so sure about the cruise environment, but I am sure that Werin and Cameron will have many new experiences alongside our fellow passengers without impeding on their enjoyment of the beauty of Alaska. Having his grandparents along for the ride will be exciting as well. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hello fellow Montgomery Countian (okay we live in the south now but grew up in Fort Washington:D).

DH and I are financial supporters of Canine Companions and this is exactly the reason why we support this organization (that we are the parents of two golden retrievers and a daughter with ADHD fits into the mix somewhere)! Please assure your wife that Werin and Cameron will have an incredible experience on the cruise and in Alaska.

Please let us know how your trip progresses. We are on the "Z" at Thanksgiving and like Sue we will be missing two of our three girls.

Go for it!!

We were on the Zaandam in January going to Hawaii. One of the passengers had a service dog with him. Very well behaved and a favorite of all the other passengers. I had an opportunity to talk to the passenger w/the dog and ask him how things were going. He was somewhat disappointed with HAL in regards to the treatment the dog was experiencing. Evidently, he had told Special Services or Seattle or whoever that the dog needed a grassy area to take care of business. The folks on the phone assured him that a grassy area would be made up and set aside for the dog. That did not happen. I guess the first day or so they didn't even have an area for the dog - then they set up one, but it was with gravel. I guess that caused the dog lots of problems. (I heard that the dog used the handicapped shower area of their cabin & his owner just hosed it down).

I tell you all this so that you can be sure to get any promises in writing. Also, be sure to remind them of your needs often & follow-up a day or so before you leave to assure that they not only remember, but have notified the ship of your service dogs needs. The folks on the ship tried to do what they could, but when they left San Diego without the sod it all went downhill.

Carole

Carole

Wow - thanks for all your encouragement. We did request a grassy area, but in a pinch Werin can relieve on gravel. We have stopped in the Minneapolis airport several times on the way to my wife's parents place in Saskatchewan and they have a gravel service dog relief area there that has worked great. Great tip though to check a couple of days before. HAL offered to get the dog food as well, but I think we will bring our own - just in case. You are right to point this out as each dog is trained to toilet in different environments and it can really mess them up to have to go on something different.

DisneyJen -- Thanks so much for supporting Canine Companions -- I don't know where we would be without Werin and the team that trained her. All of Cameron's therapists and teachers tell us how he literally started communicating overnight after after Werin came to our house. Before Werin he would meltdown all the time so getting out was always a trial for us and everyone around us. After bringing Werin home two years ago he has become the most polite, outgoing and calm little kid you have every seen. From no talking at all and no physical affection to now being in regular third grade with a part time assistant. Werin provides 24/7 therapy and support that has brought Cameron back from the abyss. Thanks for the miracles you provide through your support.

Sue1898 -- We will look for you for sure. I just put up a roll call for our cruise on the roll call boards since I didn't see another. We might have to get our own Alaska Wave flag to compete with everyone showing the flag on the web wave each Saturday from San Diego on the "O";)

Thought I would attach a picture of us so that we are easier to spot -- not that it is that hard with Susan and I both being over 6 feet.

http://dvdfreakmc.shutterfly.com/action/

I just looked back to see what ship you would be on. I bet you could get LaffnVegas to find out from Mr. Deering (HOT for the O) what exactly you need to do to ensure that everything will be set up for your "puppy." He is a really nice man and very accommodating. I am sure that if he knows ahead of time that you are coming on-board everything will be as you want.

Give a call out to Lisa, I'm sure she would be glad to help you out and she will be on the "O" in March.

Carole

Wow - thanks for all your encouragement. ...

DisneyJen -- Thanks so much for supporting Canine Companions -- I don't know where we would be without Werin and the team that trained her. All of Cameron's therapists and teachers tell us how he literally started communicating overnight after after Werin came to our house. Before Werin he would meltdown all the time so getting out was always a trial for us and everyone around us. After bringing Werin home two years ago he has become the most polite, outgoing and calm little kid you have every seen. From no talking at all and no physical affection to now being in regular third grade with a part time assistant. Werin provides 24/7 therapy and support that has brought Cameron back from the abyss. Thanks for the miracles you provide through your support...

...Thought I would attach a picture of us so that we are easier to spot -- not that it is that hard with Susan and I both being over 6 feet.

http://dvdfreakmc.shutterfly.com/action/

What a wonderful family dvdfreakmc! You can see the love the Werin and Cameron have for each other. We are blessed and we believe in sharing those gifts. Thank you for sharing!

Sounds like you have received a lot of great advice on making sure everyone is comfy!

We were on the Zuiderdam a few years ago and there were a couple of service dogs on the cruise. HAL had set up a grassy area at the bow of the ship on deck 3. It seemed to work well. I would suggest that you reconfirm with ships services (the actual coordinator for your ship) that they will place the area there for the dog.

You'll love the cruise to Alaska, we took the same one a few years ago...

I hope the 4 of you have a great cruise!

What a beautiful dog:) and What great pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them. Yes, Mr. Deering should be the Hotel Manager for you Alaskan cruise in June. You will be leaving out of Seattle the day before we leave on the Noordam.

I have a lot going on to remember much with my upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam in March but if you could email me between the 10th and the 15th of March I will forward your concerns to Mr. Deering. He is a great Hotel Manager and I am sure his crew can handle you needs.

I remember being on the Ryndam in November 2004 when there were a couple that were both blind that both had service dogs. They were constantly getting attention, on Formal night the couple were dressed very nice husband was in a Tux and the two dogs had bow ties on their collars, then the best part was when we walked by and they were getting their picture professionally taken with the service dogs and the Captain Frans Consen.

Then there was the service dog that was a small Pomeranian, I was told it was a Heart Attack Alert Dog. This was on the Veendam this past September. We were only on the first 4 days of this cruise so not sure if they were on for the full 34 day cruise.

it will be our first time with my son and his service dog, Werin.

My son is eight and has autism

Is there anyone out there that has taken a service or disability dog on a HAL cruise?

We were on the Oosterdam on a cruise to Mexico a couple of years ago when a service dog organization was having a group cruise. (I can't remember which one. The head of it was a Dr. lady.) There were at least a dozen dogs with their companions on the cruise, including my first ever sighting of a Labradoodle. They had a couple of flats of sod with a scoop and trashcan aft (or maybe in the bow, my memory is terrible) on the Promenade Deck. It seemed to suit the dogs just fine.

The Dr. lady gave a presentation about the dogs on one of the sea days that was very informative. She even showed how they're teaching the dogs to read. Incredible!

OT: My ten-year-old son has autism. We're lucky in that he's very high functioning--after 3+ years of six-days-a-week ABA. Did you see the news that they've found what they think is the gene for autism? Eleven-P. Whatever that means. I just hope they figure out cause/treatment before my grandkids start appearing. (My second son is marrying NEXT MONTH. :eek: )

Happy cruising!

Robin

dvdfreak, my friend, who is known as Coral on the cruisecritic boards, has sailed many times with her Mother's service dog. She is usally on the Princess boards. Coral has not sailed on HAL but has traveled with her mother on other lines. Here is a link to her web page that has many pictures of her mother & Erin on cruises. Click here to see the photos. http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/PhotoAlbum26.html

All I know is she has said there is a lot of paperwork to complete. Have you flown or cruised before with your son's service dog?

Diane

On a HAL cruise not long ago there was a small Heart Attack dog, which was a serious pain, or perhaps its owner was.

In the Crow's Nest it was continually jumping all over the furniture, which we did not consider especially hygenic; this presented a problem for the passengers with allergies.

The waiters in the Crow's Nest were patting and handling it and then serving beverages. This should never have been allowed.

A well-trained and well-behaved dog is not a problem, but this experience was off-putting in the extreme; there were many complaints from the passengers and the Hotel Manager eventually had to speak with the owner.

Isn't the love from a dog just amazing, magical, pure - I could go on & on & on. :) (I just love my Abby).

I had no idea that service dogs were being trained for autism, but that's just fantastic. And a Pom as a Heart Attack Alert Dog? Wow.

Coconut - Sounds to me like a training issue. I wonder how that dog could have been certified if it couldn't behave in public? :confused:

On a HAL cruise not long ago there was a small Heart Attack dog, which was a serious pain, or perhaps its owner was.

In the Crow's Nest it was continually jumping all over the furniture, which we did not consider especially hygenic; this presented a problem for the passengers with allergies.

The waiters in the Crow's Nest were patting and handling it and then serving beverages. This should never have been allowed.

A well-trained and well-behaved dog is not a problem, but this experience was off-putting in the extreme; there were many complaints from the passengers and the Hotel Manager eventually had to speak with the owner.

I hear you -- A big part of the two week intensive course we had to pass (with tests nightly and a public access test at the end, then every two years) before taking Werin home goes into appropriate public access, and creating an environment where everyone feels comfortable. While the ADA permits public access for service animals, most are under no illusion that the access couldn't as easily be taken away, so being ever vigilant to ensure that there is access for all who need it is part and parcel with having a service dog assist a member of the family.

Our favorite compliment after heading out from a dinner in a restaurant or other location, is "We didn't even know your dog was there" which is our goal. While we can't take care of everyone's allergies, we try to be as minimally invasive as possible while still allowing Werin to assist Cameron in the way she has been trained. It is a balancing act for sure!:)

Then there was the service dog that was a small Pomeranian, I was told it was a Heart Attack Alert Dog. This was on the Veendam this past September. We were only on the first 4 days of this cruise so not sure if they were on for the full 34 day cruise.

They were on for the full cruise and were a point of high interest for the other passengers. When we got on in LA, the woman had two service dogs with her....the Pomeranian and another small dog. We heard the second dog was to alert her to seizures, but I don't know if that's true.

There was a lot of skepticism from the passengers, mostly I think because some of the people didn't believe they were service dogs because they were so small. I think most of them believed the woman was somebody with clout who had managed to bring her pets onboard. Someone asked the cruise director about it at one of his Q&A sessions, and he assured them that the only dogs that get on a HAL ship are service dogs....and a lot of paperwork is required.

She was known around the ship as "the lady with the dogs," and she really pushed the envelope at times. On at least two separate occasions that I witnessed, as we were out on deck waiting for the ship to sail, she came strolling back to the ship after the required "on board" time and was the last passenger to board....right before they cast off and sailed.

It certainly was interesting and added a little color to the cruise.

My husband and I cruise with his guide dog for the blind, Hero. Hero has spent 63 days at sea, including 10 on the Rotterdam, so we are old hands at this. If you would like, send me an email at clopaw @ ameritech.net. We would be happy to answer any questions you have. We would also be happy to talk to you on the phone. One of the main things you need to be aware of is the varying requirements for the dog to get off in different ports. On an Alaska cruise, you won't have any problems, but the Caribbean is a whole different story.

Coral, who was mentioned above, was the person who mentored us when we first started cruising with a dog. We have had the good fortune to meet her and her mother in person when we happened to be cruising the same day on different ships.

BTW, HAL provided our 100 pound dog with a litter box that said it was for dogs weighing less than 35 pounds. As my husband said, Hero got to be very good at precision pooing!

I hear you -- A big part of the two week intensive course we had to pass (with tests nightly and a public access test at the end, then every two years) before taking Werin home goes into appropriate public access, and creating an environment where everyone feels comfortable. While the ADA permits public access for service animals, most are under no illusion that the access couldn't as easily be taken away, so being ever vigilant to ensure that there is access for all who need it is part and parcel with having a service dog assist a member of the family.

Our favorite compliment after heading out from a dinner in a restaurant or other location, is "We didn't even know your dog was there" which is our goal. While we can't take care of everyone's allergies, we try to be as minimally invasive as possible while still allowing Werin to assist Cameron in the way she has been trained. It is a balancing act for sure!:)

Having been involved for many years with the organization that trained Werin, Cameron and family I can attest to how well behaved these dogs (mostly labs and golden retrievers) are in public:D It is amazing.

When our DD, who is now 14, was younger we would have to remind her that she had to ask the companion if she could pet the dog who was working. Most folks don't realize that these dogs are "working" and that they aren't there as the family pet (although they do become important MEMBERS of the family).

Sounds like the woman with the Pomeranian and the other small dog did not go through the same rigorous training that other working dogs like Werin, Erin and clopaw's husband's have had to complete. Even our Canine Good Citizen dogs have better manners:p

Sounds like you have lots of good contacts and leads for your cruise dvdfreakmc. We will be in your neck of the woods this weekend ... we'll be on the lookout:p

Sounds like the woman with the Pomeranian and the other small dog did not go through the same rigorous training that other working dogs like Werin, Erin and clopaw's husband's have had to complete. Even our Canine Good Citizen dogs have better manners:p

My understanding is that people are abusing the use of service animals by claiming their "pets" provide some sort of symptom relief for various problems. There are legitimate uses but since it against the law to ask what the disability is or for documentation of the need, some people abuse the law by saying there dog is a service animal. From the description of the woman (not her Pomeranian), she is probably one of those people.

I know when I read the article the thought crossed my mind that I could use that to my advantage when needing a hotel while traveling. Alas, I haven't given in to that temptation, and probably won't.

Excellent point bdcbbq! I didn't even think about the issue of privacy.:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, I am sure Werin and Cameron and family will have an excellent adventure. I do hope that dvdfreakmc will share it with the CC folks here as well as with the folks who write the Canine Companions newsletter (we donors love to hear about stories like this!!).

dvdfreakmc: Hello! I am a fellow CCI Graduate. We have had our service dog "Brenda" for 5 years. You are correct about the intensive training and licensing. She just went to Oceanside for her re-certification and got a 3 year license! What an amazing girl!!!!

We initially were trained and graudated in Santa Rosa, CA. She is a pedigreed (unusual), they're usually a mix, black, English lab! She's got that pug nose and silky, black fur; which winds up in and on everything! She works for me......my husband adores her!!!!!!

I know I don't have to tell you how much these amazing dogs mean to us (all of us!) When I see the CCI logo....I get goosebumps!!!!

Brenda has been on 3 cruises; Celebrity Summit; Diamond Princess; and NCL Star. Her potty box has ranged from 4x4 wood/with wood chips to a 4x5 cardboard box/with sand (on the bottom) and cedar mulch, on top. As long as I used her command "hurry", she was a happy girl. Celebrity tried to use sand only and it didn't work. Her puppy raisers lived near the beach and she's been trained not to potty on sand and I couldn't undo it!

Her potty box was placed on deck 4 (Celebrity); down the hall, in a stairwell (Princess); and, in a storage locker, two doors down from our room on NCL (this was the most convenient!) I'm going to ask for the same on the Oosterdam (let's see what happens!)

NCL required a Vet. Vaccination Report; Department of Food and Agriculture Report; my drivers license; and CCI Permit. All the other ships have requested everything but the Dept. of Food and Agriculture Report (which you can get at your vets.) We had to fax all of the above to their "special services" departments and you're on the ship!

HAL has requested a Service Dog Animal Request and a copy of all of the above to be sent to: Holland America, Fax: 800-577-1731.

We will be on the Oosterdam in April,2007 and we'll see how it goes.

Of course Brenda always wears her vest, which has the CCI insignia on it! And alleviates a lot of questions.

I've only had one person, in a buffet area who commented on having a dog in the same area. And, we just ignored him!

I'm so glad that your venturing out with Cameron and Werin.

There's way too much fun to be had to not explore everything! You will love cruising. In the back of the theatres (when you are going to the shows, is room for wheelchairs and lots of room for our dogs!)

If I can help with anything else or if you have any more questions, please let me know.

I love CCI, they have made my life so much fuller by having my wonderful teammate in it! :p

Archived