What can you do if it rains on your cruise?

cbreez

I leave on my first cruise on August 2 to Key West and Nassau. The possibility of rain is increasing each day. What are some things to do if it rains on the cruise, on sea days and in the ports? I'm not really worried about it because I plan on having the time of my life anyway! Just looking for suggestions.

Last November we took the 8 day Exotic Western Caribbean. When we left Ft. Lauderdale, it was FREEZING. It also rained for 3 to 4 days and one day was VERY windy. We still managed to get sun and have a great time. There are so many activities on the ship you will not be bored. The forecast can change too, so don't worry.

I understand you're thinking I paid good money and I'm getting rained on.

Our last cruise was to Berumda. It rained on the way and the first two of three days there. The morning of the second day it was raining pretty hard and chilly for June. We were a group of 9 and we decided to still go to the beach figuring we're going snorkeling and at least there was no lightning.

It stopped raining as we got off the bus but we still had to walk down to the beach. As soon as we stepped foot on the beach the clouds opened up and we got REALLY bright sunshine. We all laughed and were able to snag some of the best spots since the beach was basically empty. We left 3 hours later when it finally became crowded.

Point? You're on vacation make the best of what you got you may get real lucky.

In Nassau it usually rains for about 30-45 minutes and then the sun is out again! I wouldn't change any plans. The second year we were there it was raining when we got up. We ate breakfast, took the tender to the private island and hung out in a hammock until the rain stopped -- about 15-20 minutes after we got there. After that it was beautiful for the rest of the day!:D

When at sea, check your daily Capers for the activities listed. There's always something to do. Don't let the rain keep you from checking out the ports. It could rain all day or just be a passing shower. Go and enjoy! :)

:) In the capers for the day you will find more things then you can possibly do in a day, with or without sunshine. Art auctions, TV type games(The weakest link, Millionare, Newly Wed ect...)ship tours, the spa, shopping. I could go on and on... Check out www.cruiseclues.com for your ship and check out its capers. You'll never have a dull moment. Happy cruising, Candice

I understand you're thinking I paid good money and I'm getting rained on.

Our last cruise was to Berumda. It rained on the way and the first two of three days there. The morning of the second day it was raining pretty hard and chilly for June. We were a group of 9 and we decided to still go to the beach figuring we're going snorkeling and at least there was no lightning.

It stopped raining as we got off the bus but we still had to walk down to the beach. As soon as we stepped foot on the beach the clouds opened up and we got REALLY bright sunshine. We all laughed and were able to snag some of the best spots since the beach was basically empty. We left 3 hours later when it finally became crowded.

Point? You're on vacation make the best of what you got you may get real lucky.

When we were on our honeymoon to Bermuda in 1981 the exact same thing happened. It rained from the time we left NY on Sunday until Thursday our third day in Bermuda. We followed a tropical storm the whole way down. In fact our first nite in Bermuda only the ships in port had electricity. The rest of the island was dark. Finally on Thursday my DW and I decided to go to Horseshoe Bay beach even though it was raining and sure enough the sun came out. We had the beach to ourselves for about an hour. We finally got a full day of Sun on Friday. Unfortunately we were leaving Hamilton at 2:00 so we stayed on the ship and got burned to a crisp laying on deck. Regardless it was a wonderful cruise. We went back to Bermuda on a cruise for our 5th anniversary. It was the same week 5 years later and we had 7 day of sunshine.

Archived