HAL's Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast

twinkletoes4445

We recently were on HAL for a cruise, and we enjoyed many items, however, we loved the Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast w/Dijon mustard sauce.

Would anyone happen to have the recipe for this?

I posted this over on the "foodies" board, but so far, no one seems to have the recipe. Thought I'd try the HAL board. :)

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast

YIELD: 12 SERVINGS

12 - 6 oz chicken breasts

½ quart Dijon marinade - see recipe below

1 pound Parmesan breading - see recipe below

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper as needed.

2. Dip chicken in Dijon marinade, covering all surfaces, and dredge in Parmesan breading.

3. Place chicken on a baking sheet and bake in a 325°F oven for 30-40 minutes.

DIJON MARINADE

YIELD: 1 QUART

2 cups butter, melted

¼ cup garlic, minced

2 teaspoons thyme, chopped

1 cup Dijon mustard

1. Melt butter over low heat; add garlic and thyme, and simmer for 1 minute.

2. Let cool.

3. Slowly whisk in the mustard until smooth and creamy.

PARMESAN BREADING

2 cups panko breadcrumbs

2 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded

1/6 cup parsley, chopped

1. Combine all ingredients.

DIJON MUSTARD SAUCE

YIELD: 1 QUART

3 cups mayonnaise

4 tablespoons Dijon mustard

4 tablespoons sour cream

2 tablespoons honey

½ cup red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon garlic, minced

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Reduce red wine vinegar to 1/5 until almost evaporated.

2. Set aside to cool.

3. Mix remaining ingredients together.

4. Mix in the cooled vinegar.

5. Add salt and pepper to taste.

NOTE

Japanese bread crumbs, called panko, are coarse in texture and often used for frying because they create a deliciously crunchy crust. Panko is sold in Asian markets and often in the seafood section of large supermarkets. If panko is unavailable, plain dry breadcrumbs may be substituted.

14.jpg

blank.gif

Dizey...Thanks!!!! Hubby is going to be so excited. He had a few bites of my chicken and really loved it. I appreciate you posting this for us!!! The picture is making me hungry! :)

LAFFNVEGAS...so this is a regular item on the menu? That's good to know.

sail7seas...I didn't know there was a cookbook. Thanks! I found it on Amazon and I'm going to order it tonight. Was this available on the ship?

14.jpg

blank.gif

Thank you...thank you...thank you! :D

My husband and I were driving home from dinner with friends tonight, and talk turned to the food on the Noordam. I mentioned to my husband that my favorite entree on the ship was the Crusted Parmesan Chicken....someone was reading my mind!

This was the best!

I make a similar chicken with a coating of mayo, dipped in parmesean cheese, and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash....but I like HAL's version better than mine (and we're tired of mine, too!).

LAFFNVEGAS...so this is a regular item on the menu? That's good to know.

Parmesan Chicken has been offered on the menu the last night of all the 7 and 10 days cruises I have done over the past 2 years (maybe even before that) There are many items that are regulars that I can tell you what night of the week they will appear on the menu. You can always count on the Signature Chocolate Cake being offered on the very first night:D

Was that Hal's recipe above, or just one someone got off the internet?

We never tried this but...

My Dh (who is a Chef) guesses they made a dijon marinade, coated the chicken in the marinade, bought panko crumbs and mixed with parmesan cheese, salt & pepper. Try some other herbs like chopped up Thyme (fresh). Add right into the mix.

Dip the marinaded chicken in the crumb mix and bake. He said to soak for at least an hour before you dip the chicken in the crumb mix.

The panko crumbs will give the nice crisp coating when you bake. Use a good amount of parmesan cheese if you want that flavor (***buy parmesan cheese and freshly grade it yourself right into the crumbs. Do not use out of a bottle!)

What we don't know is Hals recipe for the dijon dressing.You can use the same dijon you use for salad dressing. This is OK store bought if you can't get the recipe off of the ship. This is how my Dh would make it.

sail7seas...I didn't know there was a cookbook. Thanks! I found it on Amazon and I'm going to order it tonight. Was this available on the ship?

I got my copy of A Taste of Excellence while aboard Maasdam last summer. I think I saw it in the gift shop on Noordam......or perhaps even it was displayed in Pinnacle. It was in Pinnacle that I first saw it on Maasdam.

Yes............the Parmesan encrused chicken is a regular item on the menu. It's offered on every cruise.

I wonder if this dish could be made with light butter, light mayo and light sour cream without changing the taste too much? :confused: I've done that when making noodle dishes and it has been fine. I might try it and see how it goes.

It does sound like a lot of fat, but remember the recipe is for 12 people. Wish it were easier to whip up for a night when I don't have a lot of time.

I wonder if this dish could be made with light butter, light mayo and light sour cream without changing the taste too much? :confused: I've done that when making noodle dishes and it has been fine. I might try it and see how it goes.

It does sound like a lot of fat, but remember the recipe is for 12 people. Wish it were easier to whip up for a night when I don't have a lot of time.

If I got off these boards, I'd have time to cook!

If I got off these boards, I'd have time to cook!

Thank you very much for sgaring that recipe . It sounds very good, I will definately give it a try

Its easy enough to modify to just the amount you will need ( I certainly will not be making 12 portions).

You certainly could substitute the "light" versions for the butter and mayo etc. I don't thi9nk the taste would change that drastically

Carol......

I agree with Babyher. That recipe is easily adjusted to make it lighter in saturated fats/calories. That is an automatic thing I do everyday. ;) Sometimes I substitute low fat yogurt for sour cream. Smart Balance for the butter. Changes like that can make a satisfactory taste and more healthy version.

I love to cook and we love variety and I'm always using lower fat/calorie substitutions and most usually quite successfully.

I may try it tonight depending if I get to the market this afternoon.

sail7seas...I wished I would have come across the cookbook, but it should be here pretty soon (I ordered it from Amazon). Thanks for the info. :)

Jade13...Thanks for sharing how hubby would put this recipe together. I copied your post and put it with the recipe Dizy posted. :)

LAFFNVEGAS...I'd forgotten about the cake. It was good. So was the bread pudding (on the Lido deck). We only had the bread pudding once, but it was good. And the freshly-squeezed orange juice...it was wonderful.

We're on the Volendam, March 13th, and don't want to be in the wrong place and miss Lobster night. On a 10 day cruise, which night is it and is it served everywhere onboard - DR, PG and Lido?

I believe Lobster night is always the last Formal Night, and at least my experience the Parmesan Encrusted Chicken has always been offered on the menu the last night of the cruise both on a 7 day and a 10 day:)

I make a chicken recipe that was in Real Simple. Chicken breasts spread with mayo, then dipped in parmesean cheese, then topped with spices of your choice. I've tried it many ways: With light mayo and regular mayo. It's not nearly as good with the light mayo for some reason. I also use the grated four cheese and like it better than with parmesean. I use Mrs. Dash on the top and like that better than other spices I've used with it. I find you have to play around with recipes until they're perfected! :rolleyes:

On every HAL ten day cruise we've been on (which is many ;) ), the third formal night has always been when they served lobster tails. We have been on cruises when they had lobster more than once (very rare), but never a ten dayer that lobster was not on the last formal night.

Just returned from the Noordam. Lobster was served on the formal night of Captain's Dinner. I asked our Dining Steward, Jonni, when it would be served as I didn't want to book the Pinnacle on the same evening. However, I didn't use the Pinnacle because our meals in the main restaurant were so good and the atmosphere justs great. Our Wine Waiter, Aaron, Jonni and Rudy, our dining stewards were fabulous.

If anyone is travelling on the Noordam within the next few months, don't miss the Crew Show at 11.00pm directed by Aaron. It is very entertaining ~ quite emotional too. I so wish I was on the ship!!!:(

Archived