Pinnacle Grill vs NY Steakhouse

SmokinActuary

I have had excellent dinners in the PG and occasionally the experience comes darn close to one of the better NYC steakhouses.

I too see the mixed reviews suggesting that the experience is dependent upon, which ship, crew and pax expectations.

Thanks again.

I am going during Palm Sunday/Passover/Easter week so I will be on a full ship.

We are celebrating my BIL's 50th birthday and I have made all the plans. My FIL and MIL are experienced cruisers so I have a bit of trepidation. They usually sail on Princess lines.

I am sure I will enjoy myself, but I have learned it is tough to plan for 9 people! :D

HAL is a traditional and elegant cruise line and your inlaws should be pleased. I know people rave about Princess and say it's one step above HAL, but I don't know personally if that's true. I have friends sailing on Princess next month who always have sailed HAL so I'll be interested to hear what they have to say.

If the inlaws are not pleased, don't let it spoil your trip. They should be happy to be sailing with their family to celebrate their son's birthday. I know I'd be thrilled to sail with my whole family. You can't make everyone happy.

I promise you everyone will love the Pinnacle Grill. :)

As New Yorkers who have lived in Manhattan for most of out lives, we have been to most of the top NY steakhouses. In recent years, we have found many of these restaurants to have declined in quality. Last month, on the Noordam we were pleasantly surprised to discover that the steaks, the sauces and the side orders in the Pinnacle Grill were actually better than they are in most of our famous steakhouses. We loved it!

Not having eaten in a NY steakhouse I cannot make the comparison. The best steaks I ever had were in a couple of Steakhouses outside of Sioux Falls South Dakota and they used to have great steaks at the old Stock Yards Inn in Chicago. The steaks I have had in the Pinacle compare favorably with the steaks I have had in the places cited above. The steaks in the Pinacle are outstanding and much better than the ones in the main dining room.

HAL is a traditional and elegant cruise line and your inlaws should be pleased. I know people rave about Princess and say it's one step above HAL, but I don't know personally if that's true. I have friends sailing on Princess next month who always have sailed HAL so I'll be interested to hear what they have to say.

If the inlaws are not pleased, don't let it spoil your trip. They should be happy to be sailing with their family to celebrate their son's birthday. I know I'd be thrilled to sail with my whole family. You can't make everyone happy.

I promise you everyone will love the Pinnacle Grill. :)

HAL certainly is more like one step up from Princess and the class of mass marketing cruise lines, but,as for the PG; we ate there twice and were not impressed one bit. It was a little bether than the main dining room, great atmosphere and a fairly nice selecation, but nothing compared to a good steak house in any major city. Of course remember food is very subjective. What one finds outstanding, another will find mediocre. We were a group of 4, none of us thought the food was anything compared to some of the land restaurant we have eaten in.

As New Yorkers who have lived in Manhattan for most of out lives, we have been to most of the top NY steakhouses. In recent years, we have found many of these restaurants to have declined in quality. Last month, on the Noordam we were pleasantly surprised to discover that the steaks, the sauces and the side orders in the Pinnacle Grill were actually better than they are in most of our famous steakhouses. We loved it!

I am also a native NY'er with a wine locker in a steakhouse.

Over the past 10 years, the restaruant that came closest was the Bistro on NCL (pre-free styling). This will be my first HAL cruise so I may change my mind.

As a whole, the steak is excellent, but for the most part a prime NY Steakhouse is better.

I am not saying that the steak is Outback quality, but in general it is always hard for to top a business that specializes in only one thing.

All that being said, i guess I am only defending my turf. I am certainly eating it the PG. It's just that since I can get great steak and lobster whenever I want at "acceptable prices" I usually look for unusual dishes to try.

Steve

Archived