Had an aft San Diego-Hawaii 2005. How do I get another one?

Petoonya

In 2005 we booked an aft with a TA who shall remain nameless. At the time she was able to book group space with the most desirable sailings with X and RCL and snag most or all of the afts with the group space.

I think many of you know who I am talking about- just want to know if YOU know if this is still the case. Does her agency still have first dibs, or are other agencies with equal account status able to procure them in their group allotment too?

We want to do X Hawaii again but only in an aft. Thanks.

I don't know about aft cabins, but this TA still had suites available last week on a sailing that's completely sold out.

As to having "first dibs" I'm not sure about that. A former agent friend of mine used to put deposits down (with his own money) on a number of quad cabins on various summer sailings that were popular with families. Quad cabins are hard to come by, but he would always have some in his hip pocket and would sell each and every one of them. If he didn't, then he would just cancel at final payment time and get his deposit back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TA you're talking about does the same thing. Very smart thing for an agent to do if he/she has the cash flow to do so.

I don't know about aft cabins, but this TA still had suites available last week on a sailing that's completely sold out.

As to having "first dibs" I'm not sure about that. A former agent friend of mine used to put deposits down (with his own money) on a number of quad cabins on various summer sailings that were popular with families. Quad cabins are hard to come by, but he would always have some in his hip pocket and would sell each and every one of them. If he didn't, then he would just cancel at final payment time and get his deposit back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TA you're talking about does the same thing. Very smart thing for an agent to do if he/she has the cash flow to do so.

Hi Beav...Arkansas it is!

How have you both been?

Karyn

Hi Babette...hope you are well.

Karyn...I was hoping to NOT have to use this same agency. I had a good experience generally but I know many others who have not been pleased with this one in particular. Was just hoping that those afts got spread around a little more generally with other agencies' group bookings nowadays.

I thought I read somewhere awhile back that RCI's policy in general had changed as far as giving top producers the majority of afts. Maybe Babette knows...??

Petoonya - I was able to snag an Infinity Aft (CC) for Hawaii this April. Actually I stumbled upon it this mid December on Celebrity's site and immediately booked it before I blinked (and it would be gone).

Wow Deb! Thats awesome.

You were in the right place at the right time. Guess if I don't get one as soon as they come out for 2008 I'll just watch daily.

If you've not done Hawaii before in an aft you are in for a treat! Thanks for the positive news. :)

Sky,

Don't know what itinerary you were on but it seems like those afts on the 14-15 day Hawaii, Med, Baltic and TA's are particularly hard to come by.

I saw some afts on P. Canal and Caribbeans very recently. But it's tough with the others.

Thanks for your input. :)

I think many of you know who I am talking about- just want to know if YOU know if this is still the case. Does her agency still have first dibs, or are other agencies with equal account status able to procure them in their group allotment too?

We booked aft cabins with this agency in 2005 and 2006. My observation is that her agency does not have first dibs so much as they are very diligent and persistent about grabbing these cabins immediately when they are first available for booking.

Petoonya, when I initially booked the cruise in question, there were no aft cabins available so I booked a mid ship CC on Constellation and asked to placed on the waiting list for an aft one. When one subsequently became available Celebrity contacted me via E-mail asking me if I still wanted it.

This was on a Caribbean Cruise, but I got the idea from someone who I met on our Baltic Cruise last summer. When I had booked that Baltic Cruise over a year in advance, no aft cabins were available so I just settled for a mid ship one. However, this person had the same experience and asked to be put on the wait list for a prime Baltic Cruise and subsequently got an aft CC cabin for it.

I had booked our March cruise to Hawaii back in September, booking a 2b slightly larger balcony cabin. In January I was checking travelocity site and noticed an aft on vista deck available. It was a sunday evening so I had to wait till Monday morning to ring my TA. I really thought that it would have been snapped up but luckily it was still available. The price difference wasn't that much more and of course it has the added space in the cabin CC perks and of course that huge balcony.

I must have just been lucky and I really didn't think it would still be around 14 hours later.

Petoonya - we've never been to Hawaii, in fact this is our first "X" cruise in more than 20 years. I've read what I can from old threads on others experience with aft cabins but I would enjoy your perspective too.

I'm glad we're in for a treat - hope you find one too.

Spot,

We go to Hawaii a few times a year- primarily Maui and Kauai. Infact years ago owned homes there. It is truly a paradise in every way. I am sure you are doing lots of homework on the 'must sees'.

The only problem with this cruise if you are a first timer is that you only get a taste of the magic of the islands. You will want to do a land vacation after you visit!

Since we do Hawaii a lot on our own and know the islands well we just hop off the ship, rent a car and head to our favorite beach for the day. I hope your cruise has an overnite in Maui- you'll get a little more time on the island that has a little of everything.

The views from those aft cabins arriving and departing the islands are incomparable.And watching the lava stream from the volcano on the Big Island from your own huge balcony is amazing. Humpback whales were breaching maybe 100 feet from our balcony in Maui.

We had a very rough ride on the way over- 20 foot seas for the first 3 days. We like that a lot- it's like being rocked like a baby day and night. We went in December, and the winter months probably have the best chance of rough seas. But as a seasoned cruiser yourself, you know you never know what you are going to get.

I do have a wonderful travel agent who I know will get me an aft for next year. I can just feel myself out on that lovely HUGE balcony relaxing with that warm breeze on my skin. You are going to LOVE this cruise! I would say it ranked up there as one of the best cruises we've ever done. (Windstar Tahiti & Oceania Med were the only ones that topped it.)

Have a wonderful time and I will look for your review. :)

Best wishes,

We booked aft cabins with this agency in 2005 and 2006. My observation is that her agency does not have first dibs so much as they are very diligent and persistent about grabbing these cabins immediately when they are first available for booking.

Thanks! That info helps a lot. I am a bit obsessed with getting one. But feel confident my agent will be just as diligent. Thanks for your insight. :)

Archived