Do You Not Get Off the Ship?

funforsun

On my last cruise to Mexico, I didn't get off the ship, except to meet my DW cousin who retired to Puerto Vallarta. On my next cruise to the Southern Caribbean, I am thinking that I won't need to get off the ship for any reason. The spa is on the Serenade, the pools will be empty, no problem getting a lounge chair anywhere I want, and no lines for lunch. Sounds like a great plan to me? You ever stay on the ship?

We usually get off at most of the ports. However, we usually try to get off early, go to the beach for a couple hours and get back on the ship and enjoy it being empty! We always say that we will never get off again in Nassau and Cozumel because we have been so many times, but we always end up getting off and going to the beach. On our Navigator cruise, we didn't get off of the ship in Cozumel until 3:00 PM. It was great to have an empty ship to enjoy. I think I only saw about 5 people other than crew around the ship.

We do seem to stay on more frequently now. We have been on a few cruises and have been to most ports more than once so sometimes we do stay on board. I have to say I love the "downtime".

While I do enjoy the sea days, with everything that is going on, I also enjoy the quiteness of the port days with most people in port. It provides a nice balance of the cruise.

I'm with you! I did a 12 night cruise out of New Jersey. I didn't get off the ship in the first three ports- Nassau, Grand Bahama Island or St. Thomas. I did get off in San Juan because I like it there.

On my last cruise, I didn't get off the ship in two of the ports.

On my upcoming cruise in April, I will probably only get off the ship in Grand Cayman because I love the beach at the Weston Hotel. They charge you $ 25.00 for use of a beach chair on one of the nicest beaches and you can use their lovely meandering pool. The water is crystal clear and I saw a sea turtle once from our jet skiis. There is a lot to do on this beach. So is worth the short taxi ride.

Other than that- I think the ports are rip offs and have more fun staying on board with very few people!

To me the ship is the destination.

I'm a big fan of staying on board in port. Hubby, on the other hand, takes an excursion no matter what. I especially don't care much for Cozumel or Grand Cayman. The ship is so pleasant when everyone gets off and the gym is empty, the deck chairs are unoccupied, the ship is quiet, plenty of tables in the Windjammer.

We also like staying on the ship while others go to port. We have been to Princess Cays and although its beautiful, having a lounge chair without the crowd can't be beat. It is so relaxing knowing you don't have to do anything but relax on the ship. I guess having visited some islands several times you know what ones you want to see again. I would get off in St. Lucia in a heartbeat and do the cataraman tour again. It is nice to see others who opt for the ship:) Isn't it wonderful to cruise?? Have a good one.

On the cruise we took last June we didn't get off in Cozumel. We had the best time with our DS at the pool for most of the day. There were no crowds at the pool so chairs were easily found and it was very easy to find a table for lunch. It was a great day on the ship. :)

I'm a "stay onboard" person! I did it a few years ago on a last minute cruise. We weren't planning the trip, so didn't have expense money for excursions or tours. DH got off in a couple of the ports to walk around and pick up a few things, but I didn't get off at all! It was the most relaxing trip I've had in a long time! No schedule at all! Since then we've cruised a few more times in the Caribbean. I usually stay onboard if I've been to the port a few times already, unless there is really something I want to do or see.

But next fall, we are doing Alaska for the first time and I'm expecting to go to shore at all our ports!

Since my health is pretty unpredictable, we often find ourselves skipping ports unintentionally -- but for one cruise we purposely stayed on board the entire time. From Port Canaveral to Port Canveral, our feet never touched land, and DH still remembers it as one of his favorite cruises ever. :)

We're getting to the point that we enjoy staying on the ship unless we are doing a dive or maybe to eat at a favorite place we have found. Cozumel has changed so much since we first went there in 1990 but we still have to go to PePe's Grill or Casa La Mission....and to have some coconut ice cream.:D

We're getting to the point that we enjoy staying on the ship unless we are doing a dive or maybe to eat at a favorite place we have found. Cozumel has changed so much since we first went there in 1990 but we still have to go to PePe's Grill or Casa La Mission....and to have some coconut ice cream.:D

Know what you mean. You get hooked on some favorite place and keep on going back....

Dave

We are getting ready to do what we are now calling our "cruise to nowhere". This will be our 3rd straight western. I was concerned about that... but now I think we will just enjoy staying on the ship, not having to get up early, etc. The only exception might be Jamaica as my DD wants to climb the falls again.

I think it depends on where you cruise. When we go to the Caribbean, we always get off the ship to discover new things. The flight from Europe to the US is simply too expensive to just stay on the ship and skip all the ports.

I understand that if you are coming from Europe you'd want to get your money's worth.

Anywhere in the world that ships dock- there are bound to be people ready to pounce.

I did a TA in 2005. Lisbon was our first European stop but I was so spoiled by the service on the ship- I couldn't wait to get back on board. Even after 6 days at sea. Our Portugese tour guide was so full of himself and his hatred for Spain. There were people waiting at the tour bus stop to sell us stuff. I bought two scarfs for 10 Euros that I have never worn. But felt sorry for the women selling them. Gibraltar is one of the worst tourist traps I have ever been to. "Here come the rich, stupid Americans!" was how we were treated. I thought the people would be nice there (because it is English) but I was wrong. In Barcelona I was literally robbed of my camera and 20 Euros. Watch your handbags and carry money in a under your shirt money holder. I did LOVE Malaga Spain- very nice people there.

Our days of packing 12 hours of activity into 10 hours are over :). We usually get off the ship if only to go for a nice long walk, see some sites, pick up a couple of things and head back to the ship. It is fantastic having the ship almost to yourselves, especially on the upper decks. It's much quieter and very relaxing with no worries - the Pool Bar is open for business. :)

It depends on each port and what they have to offer! Having been to most of the ports, we, too, stay on the ship--after all--we PAID to use the ship. Seems silly to get off and spend even MORE money!!! Sometimes we'll go to a beach, or just walk around and window shop for a while, but like you said--the ship is almost emptly and it's a lovely way to spend a relaxing day! You are NOT the only one!!!

Our friends recommended that if we didn't find any excursions we really wanted to take on our first cruise to stay on the ship instead. We had heard of a few bad experiences in Jamaica and didn't see anything that really interested us, so we stayed on board that day. It was great to have a relaxing day with an almost empty ship, and we essentially had the entire pool area to ourselves.

Archived