Seward Holiday Inn - fishy smell?

Embracedbylife

I have been in this area countless times. Yes it overall does have a "marina" fish smell. Maybe would be worse in the middle of summer, but most always I have been there later in August into Sept. I seemed to get "used" to it quickly and it was not overwhelming for me. :)

It's fishy because you are at a small boat harbor where fishing boats come in and some of the fish are "processed" on the spot (you can even watch the fishermen do it). Much of the smell is just that good old "salty sea air". Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem but Alaska and fishing do go hand in hand.

Thanks for all the info! I enjoy fishing (we'll be going fishing in ketchikan). I just know that if there were a fish processing plant there it can get very overpowering and give off some serious odors! Sounds like that isn't the case, thank goodness! So, we'll test it out for ourselves I guess in May!

On those hot summer days the smell can get really bad esp when they are grinding up fish for dog food. They aren't lieing on reviews you might have read on odors. If you have a water side room you'll have a view of Icicle Fish processing plant and lots of boats.

We tend to be windy here alot and that helps, but when it blows the smell over towards Safeway grocery store... ewwwww.. it can get strong.

Free is great! :) Take a walk along the boardwalk around 5pm and see what the charter boats have brought in for the day, sometimes 300+ lb halibut.

Archived