Why Do People Insist Formal Clothing Equals Uncomfortable??

kitty9

While I am in agreement with both your answers and mine, We are both trying to lose weight for this cruise in three weeks. Unfortunately one of our dogs passed suddenly and with quite a bit of pain ( can you say Burger King?) , not to mention after Thanksgiving, christmas, and new years, add two cruises on top of that and you have us. Granted its only about 10 lbs, but thats a challenge. We know have her little body's ashes safe on our mantel, but it still rings tears to my eyes when I look at the container.

Bottom line. We hope to lose 10 lbs in three weeks, if not I'll be at my sewing machine altering the night before ( I do Custom drapery and window treatments for a living ) . Thats only 3 lbs per week! if we come close, no need to change my thread.:D

Dave:eek:

BTW: After talking with John You came up as the #1 Person we would like to sail with in the future.:) He has never been on CC just followed.

Good luck with the weight loss...I know it can be a challenge. And I am so sorry for your loss. I love dogs and dread the day I have to say good bye to my lab, my best friend for 8 years now.

I take my clothes to the tailor when I need buttons sewed on:D so am quite impressed with your skills.

I would love to sail with you and John one of these days! Thanks for the compliment and I promise to follow the dress codes:)!

For whatever it's worth, the issue as I see it is not that the clothes are uncomfortable, but rather, perhaps, several things: 1) Their persona is not suited to wear more formal clothes, 2) They can't find anything that is stylish and fits well, 3) They may be people who are overall resistant to stated guidelines (and probably resistant to other things as well), or 4) They don't understand the meaning of dressing up.

I looked at pictures of my mom recently, she and her gal pals just after WWII were all wearing the "in" thing...hats, fur coats, dresses, high heels with round toes..all laughing and having a blast at a dance with their navy boyfriends (my dad one of them). She told me that "was the style" back then so regardless of how ill fitting the girdles were, they went with what was popular. I'm sure that was "formal" for them back then..and they were 19! When I look at those pictures now to me my mom and those gals looked like movie stars! I also think of European women who dress nicer than American women even when going to the grocery store.

Formal wear doesn't have to be uncomfortable..if you go into it with the wrong attitude, then yes, I suspect it'll be uncomfortable. If you can't find something and make it fit appropriately then yes, it will be uncomfortable. I thinkt here is nothing more unattractive than a woman (or man) in ill-fitting clothes. You can find something cheap and have it altered and still make it comfortable, even if you are large. How many of us have squeezed into the size 10 when we were really a 14 because we wanted to "look fashionable". Same deal with formal clothes, in my opinion....Menina

In both cases, the women tended to wear what the majority did.

Hi,

It is not necesarily the clothes I find uncomfortable, it's the stuff that goes with the clothes to make them look good. I do not try to force myself into clothes that are too small but as we age we do have the tummy bulge or tushy sag that maybe needs a pair of Spanx or tummy control nylons. They are NOT comfortable. The large breasted woman in a strapless bra may also be uncomfortable. The high heeled sexy shoes...uncomfortable. And finally, most formal clothes are made of synthetic fabrics that may not breathe like cotton...I find this uncomfortable.

That being said I will look gorgeous on my formal nights...but I will not be comfortable...and that's ok with me.

A:D

I think the bottom line is...if you love to dress up, then you won't be uncomfortable. I'm always very anxious to put on a gown that I worked so hard to shop for. And on our last cruise, I shopped until I thought I was gonna puke for a gown. Most of them were horrible. They were either cut WAY low in the back to where you couldn't wear a normal bra with it....or way too low in the front. I swear.... I tried on one gown that practically showed my butt crack, it was so low in the back. Ridiculous.

I wear high heels every day so wearing them on formal night is no big deal. I'm short, so I wear heels alot. I had on 4" red satin heels on our first formal night and I was perfectly comfortable. Love those shoes. :D

I think you should wear what you're comfortable with. It doesn't have to be a sequin-encrusted gown or ball gown. But you should try to wear something dressier than usual on the formal nights. It makes for such a special evening. :)

I just saw a new ad for Norwegian that indicated they are having 'wear what you want' every night. I suggest this line for those who wish to do their own thing and feel dressing up impairs their ability to relax and feel comfortable. I personally love to feel elegant and have little chance to do so in my everyday life.

There are choices for every taste in cruises, especially in terms of dress. What does upset me is the fact that the ones who demand casual dress all the time, want EVERY cruise line to conform to that. I cruise Celebrity and Crystal, for the most part, and recently there have been those who want to cruise Crystal, who are complaining that they absolutely hate their dress code of formal/semiformal/casual. WHY does every line have to cater to the casual dressers? Why can't they leave at least one cruise line alone? Those of us who cruise Crystal, love the fact that the dress code is followed by 99%of their passengers and they respect that fact. But now, there is an ever-growing number of casualites who want to take over Crystal. And, what they don't realize is, Crystal will refuse entrance to the dining room to those not properly dressed.

BTW, I leave in a week for a 17 day cruise on Crystal to Hong Kong. We have 4 formal and 6 informal nights and I plan to put on the Ritz for all those nights.

Here comes the welcome invitation for slobs..sorry if it sounds cruel but that means a free for all on flip flops torn jeans, and cutoffs in a nice dining room.

I just saw a new ad for Norwegian that indicated they are having 'wear what you want' every night>>

NCL has been like that for a long time now, ever since they announced "Freestyle". I have been on a few of those cruises for business. While the optional formal nights are hit or miss, on casual nights people do not really dress down any more than the ever increasing numbers of shorts/sweats/ballcaps I have been seeing on RCI, CCL and even X:(.

The difference IMO is that it is permitted on NCL and supposed not on the others.

My ex is now a Maitre'd with them, and I've heard plenty of interesting stories about the crew's perspective on this..even before when he was a waiter heard some interesting stories. Would refer to it something akin to "The Clampetts"...

NCL has been like that for a long time now, ever since they announced "Freestyle". I have been on a few of those cruises for business. While the optional formal nights are hit or miss, on casual nights people do not really dress down any more than the ever increasing numbers of shorts/sweats/ballcaps I have been seeing on RCI, CCL and even X:(.

The difference IMO is that it is permitted on NCL and supposed not on the others.

Just read an interesting article about the highly successful novelist James Patterson who lives in posh Plam Beach, FL. He has a book on the best seller list right now. I think it is number one. Anyway, he said he will NOT attend any function-- charity, sport, private, whatever --that requires a tuxedo.

Now here is a wealthy, sophisticated, educated, very successful, well-known man who who has class and taste, but if even he doesn't want to wear a tuxedo, it must say something. Could it be that he finds a tuxedo uncomfortable?

Maybe he doesn't need to cruise on mass-market cruise lines. He may even have a private yacht. But he doesn't want to wear a tuxedo. Now my Hubby doesn't feel so bad that he doesn't want to wear one either. Not wanting to dress in formal attire does not make you a Clampett or caveman, even a GEICO caveman.

Being a "Clampett" represents an entire constellation of traits such as bad table manners, rudeness, foul language, poor grammar, etc. NOT enjoying wearing formal attire does not by itself automatically make one a hillbilly. Wanting to wear formal attire does not automatically make one cultivated and elegant.

"Just read an interesting article about the highly successful novelist James Patterson who lives in posh Plam Beach, FL. He has a book on the best seller list right now. I think it is number one. Anyway, he said he will NOT attend any function-- charity, sport, private, whatever --that requires a tuxedo. "

I admire this man. He follows the dress code and does not challenge it. Just like there are different dining venues on a ship, he would choose to eat at the buffet instead of 'crashing' the diningroom with a "I don't care what the dress code says" attitude. This is an example to follow.

"Being a "Clampett" represents an entire constellation of traits such as bad table manners, rudeness, foul language, poor grammar, etc. NOT enjoying wearing formal attire does not by itself automatically make one a hillbilly. Wanting to wear formal attire does not automatically make one cultivated and elegant."

This is true. But regardless of opinion the bottom line is its all about following the posted guidelines, and if you can't or don't want to you can graciously bow out and not attend like the example you cited. Now when some one decides to do as the please, regardless of financial status, background, habit...then they are a "Clampett", caveman or GEICO caveman.

"NOT enjoying wearing formal attire does not by itself automatically make one a hillbilly. Wanting to wear formal attire does not automatically make one cultivated and elegant."

This is a true statement by all accounts, but its not really about the clothes, its about correctly following the guidelines set out by the cruiseline to enhance the ambience of the evening.....its not about being a hillbilly or cultivation.

So the hillbilly who dresses correctly should be allowed entry into the activities, the so called cultivated person obviously isn't as they are too arrogant to follow the simple rules...they should be turned away.

I ONLY buy clothes that are COMFORTABLE. Whether they are dress clothes or casual clothes, they are comfortable and fit well.

However, my casual clothes are exceedingly more comfortable than my dress clothes. In fact, for those who say jeans aren't comfortable you probably didn't buy ones that fit you properly.

I follow the guidelines and dress formally on formal nights, as does dh. He wears a dress shirt and tie on a daily basis and wearing a suit doesn't bother him. However, he, also, is much more comfortable in casual clothes.

We do not like buffet food for dinner. We love to be treated specially and be waited on. But, we have plenty of occasions at home where we wear formal attire, so wearing it is nothing special, but rather something of an inconvenience. An inconvenience we suffer rather than grab a plate and serve ourselves.

I ONLY buy clothes that are COMFORTABLE. Whether they are dress clothes or casual clothes, they are comfortable and fit well.

However, my casual clothes are exceedingly more comfortable than my dress clothes. In fact, for those who say jeans aren't comfortable you probably didn't buy ones that fit you properly.

I follow the guidelines and dress formally on formal nights, as does dh. He wears a dress shirt and tie on a daily basis and wearing a suit doesn't bother him. However, he, also, is much more comfortable in casual clothes.

We do not like buffet food for dinner. We love to be treated specially and be waited on. But, we have plenty of occasions at home where we wear formal attire, so wearing it is nothing special, but rather something of an inconvenience. An inconvenience we suffer rather than grab a plate and serve ourselves.

recently on Celebrity Century I checked out the casual dining area and I was pleasantly surprised.. tablecloths, waiters, low lighting, live music.. so no need to think you need to grab a plate and serve yourself if you wish to skip 'formal' nites on celebrity.. not sure how the other lines handle this..

"Just read an interesting article about the highly successful novelist James Patterson who lives in posh Plam Beach, FL. He has a book on the best seller list right now. I think it is number one. Anyway, he said he will NOT attend any function-- charity, sport, private, whatever --that requires a tuxedo. "

I admire this man. He follows the dress code and does not challenge it. Just like there are different dining venues on a ship, he would choose to eat at the buffet instead of 'crashing' the diningroom with a "I don't care what the dress code says" attitude. This is an example to follow.

"Being a "Clampett" represents an entire constellation of traits such as bad table manners, rudeness, foul language, poor grammar, etc. NOT enjoying wearing formal attire does not by itself automatically make one a hillbilly. Wanting to wear formal attire does not automatically make one cultivated and elegant."

This is true. But regardless of opinion the bottom line is its all about following the posted guidelines, and if you can't or don't want to you can graciously bow out and not attend like the example you cited. Now when some one decides to do as the please, regardless of financial status, background, habit...then they are a "Clampett", caveman or GEICO caveman.

"NOT enjoying wearing formal attire does not by itself automatically make one a hillbilly. Wanting to wear formal attire does not automatically make one cultivated and elegant."

This is a true statement by all accounts, but its not really about the clothes, its about correctly following the guidelines set out by the cruiseline to enhance the ambience of the evening.....its not about being a hillbilly or cultivation.

So the hillbilly who dresses correctly should be allowed entry into the activities, the so called cultivated person obviously isn't as they are too arrogant to follow the simple rules...they should be turned away.

Very well said Dave....;)

Seems simple, doesn't it?

(Sidenote:I just noticed, we do not live very far apart).:D

You would be surprised... a number of people on Palm Beach feel the same as he does..

I went to a piano recital by a concert pianst years ago in an elegant old theatere in Michigan..everyone dressed to the nines...and then the pianst came out in a flannel shirt, faded jeans, and barefoot in the dead of winter!!

Clampett Comment...I was quoting a crew person who made it..to point out HIS perception..

Just read an interesting article about the highly successful novelist James Patterson who lives in posh Plam Beach, FL. He has a book on the best seller list right now. I think it is number one. Anyway, he said he will NOT attend any function-- charity, sport, private, whatever --that requires a tuxedo.

Now here is a wealthy, sophisticated, educated, very successful, well-known man who who has class and taste, but if even he doesn't want to wear a tuxedo, it must say something. Could it be that he finds a tuxedo uncomfortable?

Maybe he doesn't need to cruise on mass-market cruise lines. He may even have a private yacht. But he doesn't want to wear a tuxedo. Now my Hubby doesn't feel so bad that he doesn't want to wear one either. Not wanting to dress in formal attire does not make you a Clampett or caveman, even a GEICO caveman.

Being a "Clampett" represents an entire constellation of traits such as bad table manners, rudeness, foul language, poor grammar, etc. NOT enjoying wearing formal attire does not by itself automatically make one a hillbilly. Wanting to wear formal attire does not automatically make one cultivated and elegant.

1) Money does not = class.

2) He CHOOSES to NOT go to functions where tuxedos are required. He wouldn't show up at such a function NOT wearing a tux (probably because he DOES have class). He goes where he can wear what he likes.

I will weigh in on the dress code. I have put on a lot of weight due to a bad knee and I have tried to get a dressy dress that is not strapless, skin tight or just down right ugly. They are either to long, to short, to young or to old. I am in no way trying to buck the system or offend anyone. But when the cruise lines accept my money they do not tell me I have to dress a certain way. Some people can't spend a lot of time shopping and fill comfortable with who they are, so if I go casual, its my choice and if it offends anyone, they need to take a good look at themselves. We need to not be so judgemental because someone doesn't want to do it the way we think they should. Just my opinion.:)

"We need to not be so judgemental because someone doesn't want to do it the way we think they should. Just my opinion"

It's the cruiselines that require the dress code.

That being said, I hope your knee is healing. It can be a tough surgery to recoup from. I also have weight issues and can't find a decent dress that I can wear a normal bra with and there's no way I can wear a strapless gown. Anyway, I found Sydneyscloset.com has some really beautiful stuff.

recently on Celebrity Century I checked out the casual dining area and I was pleasantly surprised.. tablecloths, waiters, low lighting, live music.. so no need to think you need to grab a plate and serve yourself if you wish to skip 'formal' nites on celebrity.. not sure how the other lines handle this..

we usually only cruise on Princess and the only venue they have if you don't wish to "dress up" on formal nights is the buffet...and I don't cruise to eat dinner at a buffet ;).

You are right, we shouldn't be judgmental but in reality you are judging them as much as they might be judging you. It's equal. And yes, when they accept your money they are telling you to dress a certain way. It's called "recommended attire". It's easier to be forgiving of someone who needs to dress a certain way because of body type or a physical issue versus someone who deliberately wants to break a rule or just doesn't care. You are right, some people can't spend a lto of time shopping and feel comfortable with who they are but if you are too concerned about what others think about you then you aren't comfortalbe with who you are to start with.

I will weigh in on the dress code. I have put on a lot of weight due to a bad knee and I have tried to get a dressy dress that is not strapless, skin tight or just down right ugly. They are either to long, to short, to young or to old. I am in no way trying to buck the system or offend anyone. But when the cruise lines accept my money they do not tell me I have to dress a certain way. Some people can't spend a lot of time shopping and fill comfortable with who they are, so if I go casual, its my choice and if it offends anyone, they need to take a good look at themselves. We need to not be so judgemental because someone doesn't want to do it the way we think they should. Just my opinion.:)

What about a women's tuxedo, evening pants and jacket/blouse or even one of the outfits here?

http://www.cruiselineformal.com

http://search.bloomingdales.com/exec/?n=1&all=u1&u1=q&PseudoCat=b.com%53earch&c=16&q=tuxedo&cm_mmc=PMD_SE-_-Google-_-F4H-_-Women's_Tuxedos

IMHO, if you really want to dress for formal night, there is a multitude of options other than the "strapless, skin tight dress". ;)

Hey, I'm plus sized and disabled and I find tons of lovely, comfortable and inexpensive formal clothes. Nothing too tight and it's all age appropriate. I can't wear any kind of shoe that's not totally flat, and I still find formal clothes. You don't need a dress to be formal. I wear a lot of flowy pants with beaded or lacy tops and I'm good to go. So, in my opinion, being plus size or disabled has nothing to do with what clothing you wear. I absolutely refuse to allow my size or disability dictate what kinds of clothing I wear.

What about a women's tuxedo, evening pants and jacket/blouse or even one of the outfits here?

http://www.cruiselineformal.com

http://search.bloomingdales.com/exec/?n=1&all=u1&u1=q&PseudoCat=b.com%53earch&c=16&q=tuxedo&cm_mmc=PMD_SE-_-Google-_-F4H-_-Women's_Tuxedos

IMHO, if you really want to dress for formal night, there is a multitude of options other than the "strapless, skin tight dress". ;)

Given my attraction to white shirts and black pants, I would totally love a women's tux! A women's tuxedo...a WUXEDO!

marlene-dietrich.jpg Marlene Dietrich

Archived