Celebrity dress code - only you will understand!!

ssgemini

I am cruising with a group of gay friends (5 of us) and believe it or not .. our mothers .. on Summit in Alaska - September 17. I have cruised Celebrity before and I know that formal means formal. Heck - I read constantly on the Celebrity board arguments about 'acceptable' dress standards. I have a fabulous formal outfit - Versace suit and shirt. Worth an arm and a leg - more than the cruise itself. BUT .. the shirt does NOT lend itself to being worn with a tie. I can hear the Celebrity board groaning now. WHAT?!? no TIE?!?! Not sure what is 'in' in the US at the moment but 'no tie' at formal events over here in Australia is very 'in'. Open neck shirts with formal suits is very popular ...

I will wear my suit with open neck shirt with pride ;-) .. as I am sure will the others in our group .. and probably look a darn sight better than most WITH ties.

Your thoughts gentlemen? Anyone incurred the wrath of the 'formal police' on board their cruise??

I think that what you plan on wearing is VERY acceptable. I noticed several men on our sailing in May to be wearing similar outfits. One of the men at our table had on a shirt without tie for all formal nights. Very nice shirt that called out for NO TIE. I used a mock turtleneck with my tux and then a custom made scarf around my neck and down the lapels. Our table had many compliments and the FORMAL POLICE do understand good taste. You will be fine, don't worry.

Your opinion which contradicts mine only proves that we all have different concepts at what is acceptable as formal wear or what is recognizable as good taste. I feel that as long as the person wearing the outfit feels formally dressed then they are. That person has made a concerned effort to dress up for that occasion and should not be slighted if in anyone's opinion it is not up to their definition of formal attire.

Last year I purchased a tux shirt that is designed in such a way that it's not possible to include a tie. And yes, it IS a tux shirt, designed and manufactured to be WORN as a tux shirt!

Just because certain styles of tuxes are now designed with a tie-less shirt, doesn't mean someone is "dressing down" or violating the formal night rules on cruise ships! In fact, one woman in our Cruise Critic group remarked on my shirt and said she was going to look for one for her husband. And this couple always dressed to the nines (maybe even tens!) on formal night.

Have fun wearing your Versace! Chances are you'll be the "belle of the ball!"

How come it takes me two big suitcases to pack for a cruise? I have two tuxes, a dinner jacket, five slackes, seven shirts, two pairs of shoes ... and that's just for evening wear. Any shortcuts you guys can suggest?

By the way, I've worn the tie less shirt too with my tux and all the men (str8 and gay) seem to really like it.

Be who you are, a vacation is what you make it.

I second that on how to get by with less on a cruise. Each time I say that I am not going to pack as much and still end up with a vast amount. Our last cruise was to Alaska on a 12 night Celebrity cruise so needed formal wear for three nights plus cold weather clothes and warm weather clothes. I still ended up having to send things to the laudnry. No way I could have packed less. Next cruise is an 8 day to the Mexican Riviera on NCL so formal clothes do not HAVE to be taken. I wonder if I will get by with less or still fill the bags as usual.

Guys ..any suggestions on less to pack are very welcome. We are on the Vancouver- up to Alaska - down to San Diego sailing so a combination of cooler and warmer clothes is needed. And thanks for the thumbs up on formal wear - I courageously posted similar on the Celebrity thread and expected a royal roasting - but surprisingly there were plenty of positive concepts. Looks as though there are plenty of people moving with the times after all. Of course - it could have had something to do with me mentioning Brad Pitt wearing similar to the oscars - I think after the name Brad Pitt all they read was blah blah blah blah. Bless them ;-)

On HAL the dress code including formal nights is SUGGESTED not required in their paper work and web site. We wore black/dark suits with ties and did not feel out of place, not that it would have mattered to us if we did. I think in a few years formal nights will be a thing of the past. I have never understood how what I wear or don't wear (within reason) should influence if another passenger has a good time or not!

The question was a suit with open collar is formal, the poster knew what formal was.

Not all tux shirts have ties. There are many types of formal shirts as well as dress shirts. It seemed that the brand or price is why one would consider it formal.

They're are no "Formal Police", but the question was asked about Celebrity.

I don't think it infuluenses someone's vacation enjoyment, but everyone going the cruise knows the options for dinner and the dress before they chose to go the cruise. It isn''t like a single passenger is requesting the issue.

Gemini,

Go, wear what you like, look fabulous and have a great time. Personally, I still wear bowties with my tux; I don't like neckties with them, but that's just me. I don't object when others wear them. And if you think anyone else is, consider this:

I don't think I've been on a cruise yet where there hasn't been at least one Scot who wore his most formal garb...which was an outfit with a kilt, and no one objected in the least. So if the no pants look is acceptable in those circumstances, I'm sure no tie is fine because it's "in" in Australia!

Have a great time.

My rule of thumb for "fashion forward", "creative black tie" or whatever is:

Young

Tall

Good-Looking

You have to have at least two of the above to pull it off, otherwise stick with the classics. (Although a friend of mine swears if your "Rich" that trumps all three.)

--Randy (An old fart who dresses the part.)

Does anyone have a link to a photo of the formal shirt that doesn't require a tie?

As far as cutting back on clothes, I've found that two pairs of khakis will do for all the casual and informal nights. Also, I try to bring shirts that will look good in the evening but that I can wear later in the week during the day. Casual shirts are easy. Sometimes one of my informal shirts will be the one I save for the flight home.

On our last cruise on the Century (Eastern Caribbean), we saw many men wearing suits, and even sportcoats over polo or golf type shirts on formal nights. It seemed all that was necessary was a jacket of some sort. I'd say that on formal nights I was in the minority by wearing a tux & black bowtie.

In the interest of packing lightly, I brought a black suit for the semi-formal (or whatever they're calling it now) nights that I could wear with or without a regular tie, and on formal nights, I'd throw it on with a tux shirt and bowtie.

It was so dark in the dining room, who could tell? :rolleyes:

While I wore my faux tux, my partner wore a clingy silk crew-neck type shirt under a sportcoat, and never got any disapproving looks or hassles from the imaginary Celebrity Fashion Squad...and he always looked better than me!

So, no worries!

(Sorry, couldn't help it... :o )

Phew!! I was worried you might take offence at my levity. Four of us (FOD's) are taking the Star to Mexico Dec 23 - Christmas day at sea - then back to LA for New Years Eve. Tough eh! 3 in their 40's and me somewhere between 40 and death (to steal a line). You guys and your Mums will have a hoot, I'm sure. I know we will ! Happy cruising. Elladog

• 2 weeks later...
Guys ..any suggestions on less to pack are very welcome. We are on the Vancouver- up to Alaska - down to San Diego sailing so a combination of cooler and warmer clothes is needed. And thanks for the thumbs up on formal wear - I courageously posted similar on the Celebrity thread and expected a royal roasting - but surprisingly there were plenty of positive concepts. Looks as though there are plenty of people moving with the times after all. Of course - it could have had something to do with me mentioning Brad Pitt wearing similar to the oscars - I think after the name Brad Pitt all they read was blah blah blah blah. Bless them ;-)

I did the same itinerary (15 days) in 2000 on Galaxy and learned that you will NOT need as heavy of clothes as you think. Temps were fairly mild (50s & 60s) and we normally needed just a sweatshirt during the days at port and maybe a light jacket. We never needed those parkas that we packed!

Here are some tips:

- Have some clothes laundered on board. It's really not that expensive and will save you packing and lugging. You can mix shirts and jackets throughout the cruise so you don't look like you're wearing the same outfit twice.

- Bring "throw away" clothes so you don't have to lug them back home. Huh? I knew we were going to do some excursions that were muddy/wet (like ice trekking on a glacier). So, I brought an old (but still good looking) pair of hiking boots with me and just threw them out after the excursions. Unfortunately, our cabin steward kept picking them out of the garbage thinking we accidentally dropped them in. After the third time, we wrapped them in plastic bags and covered them with other garbage. Swim trunks were thrown out too after the tholassotherapy pool in the spa started to fade them - I guess we spent too much time there! Easier to buy new trunks for next time anyway.

- Since you're going to Alaska at the end of the season, every store in port is going to have discounts (bring cash and haggle!). Buy a couple of sweatshirts to wear on deck or on your balcony. That's less you have to pack for going there. PS - even the fur trapper stores will discount their fur thongs (if you're into that!)

- Don't pack too many warm weather clothes like shorts. We really couldn't wear shorts until we hit Los Angeles and San Diego. It was still too chilly in Seattle and San Fran.

- Don't overpack shoes! They're heavy and take up too much room. I've been known to pack for a 7 day cruise only to realize that I've put in 7 pairs of shoes. Limit yourself to 3 pairs. Okay, maybe 3 plus the ones you walk on with!

Enjoy the cruise!

Archived