Poll: What should NCL call their "Optional Formal" Nights?

What should NCL Call their "Optional Formal" nights?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What should NCL Call their "Optional Formal" nights?

• "Optional Formal"
    • "Dress as You Like Night"
    • "It's the Night To Dress Up"
    • Don't list anything about suggested dress in the Freestyle Daily
    • Other

According to Shoreguy, NCL has yet published another name for their old optional formal nights. Let's take a poll and see which everyone prefers. I have included the three names that have appeared in the Freestyle Daily since the first of the year as well as an "other" choice. If you select other, please tell us what you think! I have also included a line if you think NCL shouldn't say anything about suggested attire.

Please, let's not degrade this into an arguement over whether or not dressing up on the ship is proper or not. We have had enough of that! I don't mean this to be a discussion of the rights and wrongs of the Freestyle Dress.

I voted for the "optional formal", although the "dress up" could have gotten my vote as well. Obviously the Freestyle Daily should approach it as another Freestyle option (to dress as you desire) and give a nice description of the evening so guests won't be surprised by what they see or feel embarased if they decide not to dress up. And they should include this is a night for great pictures of couples to display. I love our 'formal' pictures...although our dress is more semi-formal than formal.

I voted for ''a night to dress up''. I think it's very easy to understand for everyone (while ''formal'' doesn't say it all to most people). And yes, I think NCL should continue to say what they expect (meaning what casual means, not sloppy).

KeystoneCruiser:

Please, let's not degrade this into an arguement over whether or not dressing up on the ship is proper or not. We have had enough of that! I don't mean this to be a discussion of the rights and wrongs of the Freestyle Dress.

I second the above statement.:)

Optional Dress Up Night

Clear and to the point.

I still sort of think (since you can dress formally any night) there really isn't a need for an "organized" (if even optional) formal night. On my last cruise they could have called it "Monday"

I think we're agreeing again Zeno! ;)

Yes, I'm replying to a post that will come after mine, but I have ESPn!

-Monte

I REALLY hate "This is a night to dress up". It confuses people into thinking that they "have to" dress up.

OPTIONAL dress up/formal night is OK but personally I say - just don't bother with an optional 'dress up' / optional 'formal' night. (My opinion only - I know some people like dressing up.)

Keep it just like it is: "optional formal night" cause that is what it is. We have usually seen about 50% dress more formally on the 2 nights, but rarely see anyone dressed to the nines. If cruisers want to wear their best that is great and they should not feel out of place, but for those who choose freestyle partly because of the relaxed dress code, that too is acceptable. I do like to see everyone dressed a little nicer on those 2 nights. I will usually wear a cocktail type of outfit (not a formal) on the two nights and DH a sport jacket and tie or at least the jacket with a nice open collared shirt. NMnita

I voted for "Don't list anything...". I just wanted to clarify that I think the Freestyle Dailys should always include the general "resort casual" dress code that applies throughout the cruise. When I voted for "Don't list anything...", my thinking was that the Daily shouldn't name each night by specifying a dress guideline (e.g., "optional formal", "optional elegant", etc.). To me, all passengers have the option of dressing up every night, so I don't see any reason to name the nights. After all, freedom of choice is the crux of Freestyle cruising.

Although optional formal is clear, I voted to not list any suggestions for attire on any evening. If NCL is truly to have freestyle dress code, then a suggested attire should not be included. Now that I am a whatever-kind-of-gal, what happened to wear something? In my opinion, I think we will see the suggested attire in the freestyle daily slowly disappear. I think we are just in a transition period.

Coka

I voted for Optional Formal Night. I think it satisfies the Freestyle element because you choose whether or not to participate. Yes you can dress up any evening you want but I prefer to have a designated Optional Formal night so I know that I will not be the only one dressed up because that would make me feel a little out of place.

I don't believe you can improve on "Optional Formal Night".

This leaves it wide open - for slightly dressy, more dressy, or over the top.

Then, those who don't want to dress up at all can still do their thing.

It has worked for a long time - No need to change a thing.:)

I like 'optional formal' night. If I was inclined to dress up (NOT!) I might want to do it on the night when most others are also dressed up. Also, it gives the ship photographers a night to take pictures and for you to know when they'll be out for sure.

I like 'optional formal' night. If I was inclined to dress up (NOT!) I might want to do it on the night when most others are also dressed up. Also, it gives the ship photographers a night to take pictures and for you to know when they'll be out for sure.

Before taking our five night cruise on the Sun this January, I thought they should have a "Picture Night".....but on our cruise, EVERY night was picture night. The photographers were set up in the atrium and in front of the dining rooms each evening.

Incidentally, on a poster at the entrance to the Seven Seas advertising the formal photographers, the male model in the picture was wearing jeans! Hey, I kid you not.

Archived