LAX and Port question

Hanah481

cruisin' chick and cuizer2,

Thank you very much for your responses. I have to admit that your replies have given us cause for concern. Not to be unexpected of course, but the young lady at the Summerfield Suites could not say enough good about the location. We were basing our opinions on the area, and its proximity to the "Touristy stuff", on maps that we perused. We will continue to do our research, and gladly accept any opinions from folks like yourselves. Thanks again.

Ctrain246

cruisin' chick and cuizer2,

Thank you very much for your responses. I have to admit that your replies have given us cause for concern. Not to be unexpected of course, but the young lady at the Summerfield Suites could not say enough good about the location. We were basing our opinions on the area, and its proximity to the "Touristy stuff", on maps that we perused. We will continue to do our research, and gladly accept any opinions from folks like yourselves. Thanks again.

Ctrain246

Hey there!

Check on this thread (click below)...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=517205

It has a lot of general information and ideas...

I honestly wouldn't choose a hotel in El Segundo either...

You have a group of 25 or so people?

You are going to be here from about the 14th to the 17th, so at least two or three days?

Are you going be renting a car or (for your group) vans?

Are you going to try to rely on walking area or taxies?

What do you like to do?

What are you looking to do?

What is your group interested in?

There are SO many great things and options in LA, that El Segundo would be one of my last places to stay for 2 to 3 days in LA.

(Just so you know, could be okay, if you were staying the night before the cruise, and just wanted a place to "crash" for the night, but otherwise, you're totally missing out)...

Once you're in a cab or shuttle or rental car for example, then Marina Del Ray or Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica are not that much further time-wise than El Segundo, but then you get way more sights, restaurants, "touristy" - as you say - , areas that are all within a close proximity to your hotel. Then it's maybe only 5 to 15 minutes extra to get to the port.

As oposed to staying in El Segundo, you're going to spend that 15 minutes on each of your 3 days driving to and from your hotel to get to anything "good" or "touristy"...

I don't know, check the link above please, and see if that helps to give you a better idea of the options and opporunities out there...

CJW

You have done an absolutely awesome job with your information of the LA area. I think you have done a great service to anyone who takes the time to cheack out the threads you provide. Major kudos to you.:D !!!!

We have sworn off of El Segundo, and are looking at a Best Western in Redondo Beach, which still leaves us south of LA. As far as what we are interested in; I feel you touched on all of the areas of interest that we will want to visit. We do plan on renting cars. I thank you very much for your efforts, you are a wealth of info.

Ctrain246

Sorry...I just got back from NYC/NJ where I've been the last few days...without too much time to visit here...

Thanks, Cuizer, for directing me to the thread...

I also don't know this particular hotel that well...but my take is sort of like the others...

El Segundo is not a bad place to stay...but it's really not near the port...or near the major tourist sites...nor is it very interesting or exciting on its own...

It really is just "LAX adjacent"...whereas MOST LAX-oriented hotels are directly to the East of the airport, along Century Blvd., El Segundo is the town immediately adjacent to LAX on the SOUTH side of the airport...sort of across the runways from the terminals...

A bit of trivia: The name "El Segundo" comes from the Spanish, meaning "The Second"...named thus because it was the site of the SECOND refinery for the Standard Oil Company of California...

I'd stay in El Segundo for a SHORT stay, if the idea was to be convenient to LAX for an early morning flight out...The other reason to stay here would be if you have a car and don't mind driving an extra 10 or 12 miles in each direction for most things you'd want to see...and you're getting a steal of a price...

It would be more fun, for a large group and a few days of time, to stay in Santa Monica--where there would be lots of restaurants and nighttime activities conveniently close by and walking distance...

Do check out Curt's suggested thread...(Curt and I seem to agree a whole lot)...I, too, would look to Santa Monica first, Venice being a very interesting second choice--good for a lot of folks depending on what style they like...

There are other options depending on what you like to do and want to see...

Curt gives you some reasonably priced options in Santa Monica--there's also a Travlodge and a Best Western on Ocean Avenue that fall into the reasonable range...and if your budget is a little looser, there's the Loews, Shutters and the Fairmont Miramar...

In Universal City, there's also a Hilton and a Sheraton that are right in the Universal complex...and my dinner recommendation is Micelli's on Cahuuenga (find out the hours for the performances by the singing waiters)...

Another area if you want to be close to things is Westwood Village--right near UCLA and the Getty...the Hotel Angeleno is nice,...and right below the Getty, but not really walking distance to anything...but otherwise nicely located if you have cars...

Good luck...

Our ship, the Island Princess, gets into port on Friday, 5/11 and is the only ship in port that morning. Our flight out of LAX is at 12:45. What is the most efficient way to get to the airport in time?

Our ship, the Island Princess, gets into port on Friday, 5/11 and is the only ship in port that morning. Our flight out of LAX is at 12:45. What is the most efficient way to get to the airport in time?

If you are arriving on a Friday, I don't think you will be the only one at the port. RCI's Monarch OTS is also in San Pedro every Friday and Monday.

To get to LAX, take the Harbor Freeway (110) north to the San Diego Freeway (405) north. Get off at Century Blvd (right after you pass under the 105) and take Century Blvd west right into the airport.

I'll assume you do not have a rental car parked at the port. You will want to pre-arrange a shuttle, limo or taxi to meet you at the cruise terminal...but don't worry too much...It is 20 miles from the pier to LAX...and, yes. on a Friday morning, this will be one of the more heavily trafficked freeways in LA (the 405 through the "South Bay Curve")...But, assume you want to get to LAX 2 hours before flight time...that's 10:45 am...even in bad traffic, it should not take more than an hour...

I don't know about your ship, but I'll assume, like others we've cruised on out of LA, it's in port early and unloading people by 8:00 am, you have plenty of time...but, I'd make sure of the approximate time your ship unloads...and try to have a car meet you no later than about 9:30-9:45...

You have done an absolutely awesome job with your information of the LA area. I think you have done a great service to anyone who takes the time to cheack out the threads you provide. Major kudos to you.:D !!!!

We have sworn off of El Segundo, and are looking at a Best Western in Redondo Beach, which still leaves us south of LA. As far as what we are interested in; I feel you touched on all of the areas of interest that we will want to visit. We do plan on renting cars. I thank you very much for your efforts, you are a wealth of info.

Ctrain246

I think that Redondo Beach in general could be great for you...

And you could start My OC Tour right from there (click the link below):

My question though, are you talking about the "Best Western Sunrise Hotel at Redondo Beach Marina",

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/propertyMapWeather.do?propertyCode=05413&group=false&disablenav=false#null

as that will have you right there for my recommendations (although right across the street from there, I personally prefer the Crowne Plaza, as they have many many many great balcony rooms overlooking the Pacific Ocean)...

If you are thinking about the

"Best Western Redondo Beach Inn"

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05406&disablenav=false#null

far walk from the beach, but right on Pacific Coast Highway/Sepulveda, so easy access driving to and from LAX and the other sights...

Just curious, and wanting to give you some more information...

CJW

I think that Redondo Beach in general could be great for you...

And you could start My OC Tour right from there (click the link below):

My question though, are you talking about the "Best Western Sunrise Hotel at Redondo Beach Marina",

If you are thinking about the

"Best Western Redondo Beach Inn"

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05406&disablenav=false#null

far walk from the beach, but right on Pacific Coast Highway/Sepulveda, so easy access driving to and from LAX and the other sights...

Just curious, and wanting to give you some more information...

CJW

CJW,

Thanks for the response. We have a tenative at the Best Western Redondo Beach Inn. Any, and all information, wil be greatly appreciated.

Ctrain

If you are arriving on a Friday, I don't think you will be the only one at the port. RCI's Monarch OTS is also in San Pedro every Friday and Monday.

To get to LAX, take the Harbor Freeway (110) north to the San Diego Freeway (405) north. Get off at Century Blvd (right after you pass under the 105) and take Century Blvd west right into the airport.

I checked cruisecal.com (which is right just about all of the time -- even tho' my last cruise somehow got dropped from their calendar about a month before the cruise) and Cuizer is right. The MOS is scheduled to arrive in SP on 5/11 about an hour before your ship. So keep that in mind if you need to rush to get to the airport. They may get first dibs on immigration/customs. (I checked because once in a while this ship goes on a 5-day cruise).

Hi Bruin Steve,

I have a few quesstions for you since you are the resident expert... We are going to be cruising to Hawaii out of LA next March 17th 2008. We are planning on coming to LA 2 ot 3 days early to make sure we get there from the North East. I have been getting various opinions on where we should stay. What would you reccommend??? Should we stay at the LA Marriott and possibly rent a car or do you think we should try and stay in San Pedro or Long Beach. If you think we should stay in San Pedro or long Beach, can you reccommend any place to stay. I am also thinking about flying into Long Beach Airport. I am not sure yet. We just got back from Florida and we had to make a stop in Philadelphia and we got caught up in the latest storm. What a nightmare... We are thinking of driving to Washington D.C. and trying to get a direct flight to LA from Dulles. I am not sure yet if they offer a direct flight to Long Beach. We have never been to Califorina before so we are going in blind... I appreciate any help you can give us. Our cruise also gets in next April 1st which is a Tuesday so I am hoping that Lax or Longbeach won't be so busy since it is a Tuesday. I am not sure if we should try and stay an extra day or try and come home the day we get back into port.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Bruin Steve,

I have a few quesstions for you since you are the resident expert... We are going to be cruising to Hawaii out of LA next March 17th 2008. We are planning on coming to LA 2 ot 3 days early to make sure we get there from the North East. I have been getting various opinions on where we should stay. What would you reccommend??? Should we stay at the LA Marriott and possibly rent a car or do you think we should try and stay in San Pedro or Long Beach. If you think we should stay in San Pedro or long Beach, can you reccommend any place to stay. I am also thinking about flying into Long Beach Airport. I am not sure yet. We just got back from Florida and we had to make a stop in Philadelphia and we got caught up in the latest storm. What a nightmare... We are thinking of driving to Washington D.C. and trying to get a direct flight to LA from Dulles. I am not sure yet if they offer a direct flight to Long Beach. We have never been to Califorina before so we are going in blind... I appreciate any help you can give us. Our cruise also gets in next April 1st which is a Tuesday so I am hoping that Lax or Longbeach won't be so busy since it is a Tuesday. I am not sure if we should try and stay an extra day or try and come home the day we get back into port.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

When you say "LA Marriott", know that Marriott has 82 hotels of its various brands in the LA area...

Likely, you are either talking about the "Los Angeles Marriott" which is DOWNTOWN (Do NOT stay there) or the LAX Marriott--at the Airport...which is okay with a rental car, but not really a prime neighborhood...

There is also a Marriott in Long Beach...but it is by Long Beach Airport--not in the more desirable (from a neighborhood/restaurants/activities/piers perspective) Convention Center area...

As to LAX, there is no real difference between a Tuesday or a Wednesday or a Friday or a Saturday...LAX is BUSY EVERY DAY...this is simply one of the busiest airports in the world...Remember, virtually every connecting flight heading to and from the Pacific and Asia routes through LAX...and it is also the main airport serving one of the largest cities in the world...The only real DISADVANTAGE to a week day, depending on the time of day of your flight, would be the traffic getting to and from the airport...the 405 gets jammed in both directions from about 6:30 to 10 am and from about 3:00 to 7:30 pm...not that other times can't be bad as well...

It's really not that bad...you just have to allow for lots of extra time and to be patient...

We've discussed where to stay in LA in many threads on this board before...and a lot of it depends on what you want to do in those two or three days here...With that much time, Long Beach would not be my first choice...because you will likely drive 60+ mile round trips each day to visit various sites in LA proper...

But, if your stay is very short...and you are not interested in the typical LA tourist sites...or you want only to be convenient to the pier...and maybe go to Disneyland...or make one trip into Hollywood/Beverly Hills et al...and you are flying into Long Beach anyway, then Long Beach works just fine...

There are a number of hotels in the Long Beach Convention Center area...I would, personally, pick from among the Westin, Hyatt, Renaissance and Courtyard, maybe the Hilton...or the Coast (which is just across the channel from the Convention Center area)...I would not stray too far from this area of Long Beach...

Assuming you are renting a car at Long Beach Airport, you my be able to arrange a drop-off in this area and take a shuttle or Taxi to the pier...

If you are arriving at LAX and spending, say, three nights, I would stay in Santa Monica as a first choice...it is more convenient to major LA area tourist sites and the area around Ocean Avenue/Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier gives you ample walking areas, large choice of restaurants and a very pleasant neighborhood...and it's a short drive to the Getty Center, Beverly Hills, UCLA/Westwood Village, the Getty Villa/Malibu, Venice Beach and other places worth visiting...and much closer to Hollywood/Universal etc. than is Long Beach...and just 10 miles north of LAX (The pier is 20 miles South of LAX)...

Other areas wort considering, depending on what you want to do and see while here, include Beverly Hills (can be exceptionally pricey), Westwood Village, Century City, Venice/Marina Del Rey or the Universal City area (if the attractions there--TV and movie Studios, Universal theme park and CityWalk) are your main focus) ...

I recommend AGAINST staying in Downtown LA or anywhere East of LA Cienega (except Universal or Disney/Anaheim)...

Tell us a little more of what you're looking for and we can help narrow it down...

Hi Bruin Steve,

I first want to thank you for all your help. You have definitely put in a great amout of time in helping me.

My travel agent was telling me about the LA Marriott Airport on West Century Blvd.

We are planning on getting to LA 3 days before our cruise. We are not really looking for too much of the touristy stuff. My main goal is to actually make it to California before the cruise shiop leaves. We were just on a cruise that left Florida. We were stranded in Philadelphia. Our only option was to drive to Florida from Philly or miss the cruise. I want to get to LA in plenty of time to make sure we get there.

I did see someone had mentioned there was an aquarium I think around Long Beach that might not be too bad to visit. I don't really want to rent a car if possible, but would if it was necessary. It would be nice to find a hotel that had a bar and pool that you could sit around while you we enjoyed a few cocktails. A hotel within walking distance to maybe some restaurants and maybe a few shops. Again, I would not be totally opposed to renting a car. I don't really want to drive around LA if possible. I don't know if it would be possible to fly into LAX, rent a car and return it to Long Beach airport. I am not sure if there maybe somewhere near the San Pedro port to drop off a rental car. I would probably want to drop off the car the evening before we left on the cruise.

Is the Long Leach airport less crowded than LAX??? I am just wondering if it would be easier to fly out of Long Beach than LAX. I guess if we flew out of LAX we would want a late flight so we would be sure to get to the airport in time. The only bad thing about a late flight is we are adding time flying East. It would be late when we flew into Dulles. We would then have a 5 hour drive home.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dan

My travel agent was telling me about the LA Marriott Airport on West Century Blvd.
It is a nice, standard AIRPORT hotel...There are a string of major chain hotels along Century Boulevard at the Eastern end of LAX...BUT, there is nothing there exceptthe hotels, hotel restaurants, long term parking lots and office buildings...It's a good place to stay for convenience to LAX...For those flying in and out...it's okay for those who might want a chain hotel at a cheaper price than one finds in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills...and who has a car...You would constantly be leaving there to drive someplace else...

We are planning on getting to LA 3 days before our cruise. We are not really looking for too much of the touristy stuff. My main goal is to actually make it to California before the cruise ship leaves... I want to get to LA in plenty of time to make sure we get there.

If you have zero interest in seeing Hollywood, the Studios, Rodeo Drive, the Getty, etc. and just want to relax...and have a few things to do around the hotel area, you might want to be in Long Beach...it's pleasant enough, the hotels are nice (and cheaper than those on the West Side) and there are places to eat, shop, and visit in the area right around the hotels...and come cruise time, you'd be very near the pier...The other recommendation would be Santa Monica...if you stay in the Ocean Avenue/Third Street Promenade area, there's an awful lot to do walking distance from the hotels--the greatest assortment of shops and restaurants, the beach, the pier, Palisades Park...OF course, hotels might be a little costlier and you would have a longer shuttle ride ot the pier on embarkation day...

For Long Beach, I'd recommend looking into the Hyatt, the Courtyard and the Renaissance first...if not those, then look at the Hilton and the Coast (the Coast is across the channel on the side near the Queen Mary and the Carnival Cruise pier--the other lines use the San Pedro pier, about six miles away)

I did see someone had mentioned there was an aquarium I think around Long Beach that might not be too bad to visit. I don't really want to rent a car if possible, but would if it was necessary. It would be nice to find a hotel that had a bar and pool that you could sit around while you we enjoyed a few cocktails. A hotel within walking distance to maybe some restaurants and maybe a few shops.

Yes, the Aquarium of the Pacific is in Long Beach...and very close to the major Convention Center Area hotels...You also have the Queen Mary, Shoreline Village (shops and restaurants) and some other things to do--all either a short walk or a quick shuttle ride away...There is a FREE "Red Passport Shuttle" that takes you to all of those Downtown attractions and a 90 cent "Purple Passport Suhuttle" that will take you to Belmont Shores (Nice Beach/Village area) and to Cal State University Long Beach...By the way, my recommendation for a nice dinner in this area is "Parker's Lighthouse" at Shoreline Village...

See this site:

http://www.visitlongbeach.com/index.cfm

Again, I would not be totally opposed to renting a car. I don't really want to drive around LA if possible. I don't know if it would be possible to fly into LAX, rent a car and return it to Long Beach airport. I am not sure if there maybe somewhere near the San Pedro port to drop off a rental car. I would probably want to drop off the car the evening before we left on the cruise.

I've never had to rent a car in LA...but I believe a lot of the Rental Car companies have drop-offs in Downtown Long Beach...If you rent a car, you might also want to check with them if they'll shuttle you to the pier after you leave the car...But, if you stay in Long Beach and do not care to leave the area, you may not need that car...Check with the hotels if they have a shuttle to the pier...of course, a taxi to the pier will be cheap enough...You will need a shuttle of some kind to the airport and back...

Is the Long Leach airport less crowded than LAX??? I am just wondering if it would be easier to fly out of Long Beach than LAX. I guess if we flew out of LAX we would want a late flight so we would be sure to get to the airport in time. The only bad thing about a late flight is we are adding time flying East. It would be late when we flew into Dulles. We would then have a 5 hour drive home.

Comparing LAX to Long Beach Airport is like comparing the Super Bowl to your kid's Pop Warner game...one draws an incredible mass of people, the other a handful of folks...One requires hours to navigate, the other you can drive right up to and pop on in...

LAX is one of the busiest airports in the world...They recommend two hours just to get through security and check-in...Walking from one end of the airport to the other takes an eternity...Long Beach airport is like a little small town airport with a couple of gates, no lines and no hassle...The only problem is that, whereas you can fly to and from LAX from anywhere in the world, you can only fly directly to Long Beach from selected cities...And whereas there are flights to and from most major cities to LAX dozens of times a day, you may be lucky enough to find a single flight from your city to Long Beach...

So, IF you can find a flight to Long Beach that works for you, grab it...but be prepared to learn that LAX is your only real option...

BTW, there are three other airports serving the LA area...Burbank, John Wayne (Orange County) and Ontario...in a pinch, these may be used, but all are a significant distance further from the pier...Long Beach Airport is about 15 miles from the pier, LAX 20 miles, Burbank a little under 40 miles, John Wayne about 40 miles and Ontario 60 miles...The only reasons to use those last three airports are 1) If you can't get a desired flight or 2) If you have a pre- or post cruise visit to one of those areas (Burbank for Universal and Hollywood, John Wayne for Disneyland)...

Good luck...

• 4 weeks later...
Cuizer2,

As a resident of the LA area, would you please offer some advice. We are a group of about 25 or so people who will be cruising on the Carnival Pride on 2/17/2008, and will arrive in the area on 2/14/08. We are in the process of trying to secure lodging, (About 6- 12 rooms) and have been in communication with the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in El Segundo. I was wondering if you can offer any info about the hotel which is located at 810 Douglas St in El Segundo.

We are leaning towards El Segundo because it seems to be the most centrally located to the touristy areas of LA, and not too far from the cruise port. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

I can be emailed at Ctrain246@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks in advance,

Ctrain246

Okay, as I said, I would check out the hotel, and I have. First of all, both 810 North Douglas and 810 South Douglas are in El Segundo. Your hotel is on 810 South Douglas. Take the Rosecrans exit from the 405 Freeway (which is the 2nd exit just south of the 105 Freeway).

So, when I saw the sign I pulled in, found a parking spot and looked around for your hotel ...

SS-pan1.jpg

SS-pan2.jpg

Since I could not find the hotel, I thought maybe that is an old sign. However, see that tunnel on the far right of the photo above? Here is a view from the other end ...

IMGP0025.jpg

Here is what I found ...

IMGP0045.jpg

SS-pan3.jpg

There is a limit of five photos per post, so this is continued on the next post ...

Here is a ground level view of the pool and multi-purpose court ...

SS-pan4.jpg

Just the multi-purpose court ...

IMGP0033.jpg

Just the pool ...

IMGP0034.jpg

Another shot of the pool ...

SS-pan5.jpg

And the front ...

IMGP0050.jpg

continued ...

Now, remember we said this is an industrial area? Here is the area around the hotel. Office buildings ...

SS-pan6.jpg

Look to the far left of the above photo and this is what you will see ...

IMGP0042.jpg

Then it started raining really hard. And I mean really hard. Soon ...

IMGP0051.jpg

You can see the curb on the left side of the above picture. And here is a photo of what used to be a dry street ...

IMGP0064.jpg

And soon the sharks started to appear ...

IMGP0073.jpg

continued ...

I think the sharks were after the fish ...

IMGP0081.jpg

IMGP0085.jpg

Finally I found some high ground and saw this seal ...

IMGP0062.jpg

Soon the only transportation available was by ship ...

IMGP0149.jpg

But look at the bright side, now the hotel has a much bigger pool.

Here are a couple of Long Beach hotels that are near the docks ...

IMGP0156.jpg

Cuizer's a funny guy...

We all know it doesn't rain quite that hard in LA...

The hotel doesn't look all that bad...except about the only thing good about the location is that it's convenient to LAX...

El Segundo is just a really nondescript, mostly industrial area just south of the airport...This hotel is undoubtedly there to cater to business visiters of those industries located nearby, not really a tourist mecca...

But, if you got a good deal, AND PROVIDED YOU HAVE TRANSPORTATION, anything near the airport is a compromise between the higher prices on the West Side and the inconvenience to tourist sites that goes with heading down to Long Beach/Pedro for anything more than a short stay...

But, it is a compromise...unlike staying in Santa Monica/Venice/Westwood/Beverly Hills where you can walk out of your hotel and find restaurants, shops and attractions, you walk out of your hotel door here and you are in an office/industrial complex...

Archived