LAX and Port question

Hanah481

Does anyone know how far it is from LAX to the Princess Port??? Never been to LA before. We are going on a 15 day Hawaii cruise March 2008. Just starting to think about booking a hotel and if there are any hotels that take you to the port like they do in Fort Lauderdale??? We are going into this blind.... Does anyone have any hotels to recommend???

Thanks to everyone

Princess uses the cruise terminal in San Pedro. It's about 18 miles south of LAX but traffic can make it a long commute depending on when you arrive.

You might check out the West Coast Departures section of these boards to get hotel information. You may have to scroll down some to find info about LA. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

We sailed out of San Pedro in 2005 and stayed in Long Beach as I didn't like the reviews written on the San Pedro hotels. And Long Beach is not that far away from San Pedro. There may be a few hotels in San Pedro that have free shuttles but it is not the norm for this port.

Long Beach also has an airport and is less hectic than LAX. Not sure where you're flying from but if you can fly into Long Beach that would be easier.

If you wish to look at the various hotel, look under Long Beach and San Padro. The closest hotel is Best Western Sunrise. They have a shuttle to the pier. No hotel in the Long Beach/San Padro area will have a shuttle to LAX. You can take Supershuttle from LAX to your hotel and from pier to LAX.

Does anyone know how far it is from LAX to the Princess Port??? Never been to LA before. We are going on a 15 day Hawaii cruise March 2008. Just starting to think about booking a hotel and if there are any hotels that take you to the port like they do in Fort Lauderdale??? We are going into this blind.... Does anyone have any hotels to recommend???

Thanks to everyone

We went on this cruise last March. Stayed near the airport at the Rennaisance (very nice and accommodating). The concierge assisted us in booking a private shuttle which carried us to San Pedro--very reasonable. (There were four couples). For the return trip, we used the ship transfer. Worked for us...

The Crown Plaza in San Pedro offers a shuttle to the cruise port. However, it is undergoing renovation right now and, while it is open, I do not know how noisy, messy, ugly , etc. (ifa t all) the work is for guests.

Paul

We stayed at the Doubletree in San Pedro this past January. There was a shuttle to the pier and several cruisers staying in the hotel. The hotel was very comfortable with a nice restaurant. We had booked Super Shuttle ($38.00 for the two of us) to take us from LAX to the hotel, but our niece and nephew-in-law picked us up instead and we spent much of the day with them.

We did the Crowne Plaza in December - internet price of $129. It was better than I expected and within walking distance to the pier and a good mexican restaurant (can't vouch for the food but the marg's were good). Had shuttle to pier (less than 5 minutes) and did Super Shuttle from LAX - think it was $32 for 2. I would do it again.

Karmel is the most reliable shuttle service, although a little more expensive (but you are paying for their much better reliability)...

Then check Super Shuttle and Prime Time.

Book in advance to insure your best service.

Also in San Pedro I definitely recommend the Doubletree, but do a search on these boards for Doubletree, Crowne Plaza, San Pedro, Long Beach, and read reviews and experience and decide from there.

In this port area, you will either get a shuttle from the airport to the hotel (because then it's closer to LAX area) and then you have to book your own shuttle from there.

Or book your own shuttle to one of the hotels close to the port, and make sure they have their own shuttle to the port.

Hope that makes sense.

CJW

So if I am getting you correctly, you find this supershuttle at LAX like you would normally find a taxi??? Just tell them what the name of your hotel is and they take you there. How easy is it to find a supershuttle ride from the Port to Lax??? Is this something you book in advance or do you just find the shuttle when you get off the ship??

Thanks

You really should book in advance...:)

I believe that if you have the phone number then you can call when you arrive and they might fit you on one of their shuttles that happens to be in the area...:confused:

But, then you could be waiting a lot longer than you needed to if you had booked in advance...:D

We stayed at the Sunrise (no longer Best Western) last month and will be there again tomorrow night. It's fine for one night. Last time we left our car, this time we're flying into LAX so will have to get down to San Pedro. They have a shuttle about every half hour going to the pier. Nancy

This will be our first time in LA for a cruise to Hawaii. What would someone recommend that we do??? Should we have princess book us a hotel and get a transfer to the port??? Or should we find our own hotel, take a taxi there and then take a taxi to the port???

Thanks for your help...

This will be our first time in LA for a cruise to Hawaii. What would someone recommend that we do??? Should we have princess book us a hotel and get a transfer to the port??? Or should we find our own hotel, take a taxi there and then take a taxi to the port???

Thanks for your help...

I would book my own hotel and ground transportation as it's relatively easy to do. If you're just talking about one night and don't have any plans other than dinner, bed, get up & go to the pier, I'd say book one of the shuttle companies mentioned above to take you to the Doubletree, Crowne Plaza, Sunrise or Holiday Inn in San Pedro. There are plenty of places for dinner and breakfast around any of those places. Or you could stay at one of the airport hotels - all of the major chains are there, take their shuttle back to the airport in the morning & get a shuttle to the pier.

If you're going to be in town longer, do a search on CC for one of Curt Jerome Wild's or Bruin Steve's always excellent threads on where to stay or what to do in LA. Rent a car & get out there! Oops, that's RCI's motto!;)

We are planning on coming to LA 2 days early because of the uncertain weather in the Northeast in Mid March. I guess that we would just like a place to stay that has a little to do in the area and be able to take a shuttle or taxi to the port. I have never been to LA before so I am uncertain if we should stay close to the airport or stay close to the ship port. Any ideas anyone??

Thanks

Dan

What do you like to do? For two days, I would recommend that you rent a car for at least one of them. Enterprise even has a place right by the port where you can return it on the day of your cruise.

As I said before, check out the threads in this section - they are loaded with suggestions.

We are planning on coming to LA 2 days early because of the uncertain weather in the Northeast in Mid March. I guess that we would just like a place to stay that has a little to do in the area and be able to take a shuttle or taxi to the port. I have never been to LA before so I am uncertain if we should stay close to the airport or stay close to the ship port. Any ideas anyone??

Thanks

Dan

This photo shows both Long Beach and the San Pedro dock ...

LAharborarea.jpg

As you can see, Long Beach is fairly close to San Pedro (about a 10 minute taxi ride) and Long Beach is a better place to stay - in my opinion. In Long Beach is the Aquarium of the Pacific. If you are interested in aquariums, this is a pretty good one. This photo shows where it is located ...

LongBeachportarea.jpg

Do any of the hotels in San Pedro that are mentioned on this thread have a convenience or grocery store closeby? What about restaurants? We'll go in one day early & would like to pick up some Dite Rite colas (which are allowed since they arent sold onboard.)

This photo shows both Long Beach and the San Pedro dock ...

LAharborarea.jpg

As you can see, Long Beach is fairly close to San Pedro (about a 10 minute taxi ride) and Long Beach is a better place to stay - in my opinion. In Long Beach is the Aquarium of the Pacific. If you are interested in aquariums, this is a pretty good one. This photo shows where it is located ...

LongBeachportarea.jpg

Cuizer2,

As a resident of the LA area, would you please offer some advice. We are a group of about 25 or so people who will be cruising on the Carnival Pride on 2/17/2008, and will arrive in the area on 2/14/08. We are in the process of trying to secure lodging, (About 6- 12 rooms) and have been in communication with the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in El Segundo. I was wondering if you can offer any info about the hotel which is located at 810 Douglas St in El Segundo.

We are leaning towards El Segundo because it seems to be the most centrally located to the touristy areas of LA, and not too far from the cruise port. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

I can be emailed at Ctrain246@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks in advance,

Ctrain246

Personally, I would question staying in El Segundo. It's pretty much an industrial area (did know a co-worker who had an apartment there...many of the LA Raiders also lived in her building), even more so than San Pedro.

We went to the Long Beach Aquarium for the first time last August and were really impressed -- but we knew it would be interesting for us. Also noticed that Long Beach has been renovated in the last 20 years or so.

Cuizer2,

As a resident of the LA area, would you please offer some advice. We are a group of about 25 or so people who will be cruising on the Carnival Pride on 2/17/2008, and will arrive in the area on 2/14/08. We are in the process of trying to secure lodging, (About 6- 12 rooms) and have been in communication with the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in El Segundo. I was wondering if you can offer any info about the hotel which is located at 810 Douglas St in El Segundo.

We are leaning towards El Segundo because it seems to be the most centrally located to the touristy areas of LA, and not too far from the cruise port. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

I can be emailed at Ctrain246@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks in advance,

Ctrain246

There are a couple of people who post regularly (Bruin Steve and CJW) who are very knowledgeable about hotels in the Los Angeles area. I am not as knowledgeable because I live here, so I never stay in any of the local hotels.

That being said, El Segundo is just south of LAX, and is more of an industrial area (as is San Pedro). At the moment I am a little rushed for time. However, you are not leaving real soon, so I'll get some info for you and e-mail it to you. I think I know how to contact Bruin Steve, so I'll ask him to look at this thread.

Archived