Any tips for a pregnant cruiser?

macabella

i took an alaska cruise when i was around 19 weeks pregnant. i asked for a body pillow from my steward.. he got me one from a suite (this was on celebrity).. it helped me because i had to always lay on my side, and when the ship rocked, it stopped me from rolling over.. a lifesaver

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Just curious, do cruise line check for Dr's note at the check-in counter? I mean, they can't just ask every lady if they're pregnant, that's insult, and what if someone's just a little chubby.

Thanks

I'm sure they check if it's noted in your reservation, but if you haven't told them and you don't look pregnant yet, they would have no reason to even ask.

I cruised at 15 weeks pregnant with my first child and no one ever said a thing to me about it. No one even realized unless we told them, I'm sure.

I eeked in last week just under the wire on RCCL (I was 22 weeks when we boarded, so into my 23rd week by the time we disembarked) whose rule is that you cannot sail if you have entered your 24th week. So I definitely look about as pregnant as you can be and still sail (and this is my third, so I'm already pretty big - 100% in maternitywear, etc).

We got the note and faxed it to the appropriate department with RCCL ahead of time. No one asked me for the note when we were checking in, but then my husband just offered it to the check in person. The girl seemed very confused and showed it to about 4 other people before she could figure out what to do - and I overheard their conversations - everyone at the pier still thought the rule was 27 weeks. Anyway, they made a photocopy of the note and gave us back the original. That was it. The issue was never brought up again while on board. I doubt they would have asked for it if he had not offered; it was clear our account was not "flagged" in any way.

You can probably get your OB to write you a perscription that says that you are 26 weeks pregnant as long as he or she feels that taking a cruise is not a threat to the pregnancy. It's worth a shot to at least ask!

I don't understand this response. Here's Carnival's pregnancy policy from their webpage:

Pregnant women are only allowed to sail if pregnant for 24 completed weeks or less at time of cruise disembarkation. All pregnant women are required to produce a physician’s letter stating that mother and baby are in good health, fit to travel and the pregnancy is not high-risk. The letter must also include the estimated date of delivery (EDD).

Why would you want a note saying you were 26 weeks pregnant? Also, I don't know any sane doctor that would provide incorrect medical information as this opens them up to huge liability if something goes wrong. No one is going to risk their practice/license by lying so a patient can cruise.

Edited to add: I see most of these posts are from over a year ago, before Carnival's policy changed!!

• 3 weeks later...

I never even thought about this being an issue (will be 17 weeks when sailing June 1) so I'm glad I found this thread. Is there something when registering that ASKS if you'll be pregnant? I'm just wondering why they would ask for a note if it's not noted on your reservation? (I do plan on bringing one though, as I look 4 months pregnant NOW and am only 11 weeks.)

I sailed last August on Carnival at 23 weeks and had a dr's note. I looked very pregnant since this was my 2nd and I popped much sooner but no one ever asked me for the note even though I know it was noted in my reservation. However, that doesnt mean they wont ask.

I never even thought about this being an issue (will be 17 weeks when sailing June 1) so I'm glad I found this thread. Is there something when registering that ASKS if you'll be pregnant? I'm just wondering why they would ask for a note if it's not noted on your reservation? (I do plan on bringing one though, as I look 4 months pregnant NOW and am only 11 weeks.)

No, there's nothing in the reservation system about it. Many people book a year ahead, so they wouldn't be pregnant at the time of booking anyway. It's just one of those things you are supposed to figure out on your own - I actually think it should be more prominently noted on the cruiselines' websites I'm not sure how exactly) because I could easily see someone not giving it a second thought and then flying into the embarkation port with no note on a Sunday when her doctor's office is closed.

• 2 years later...

I'm one month pregnant and just got back from my cruise. It was not a good experience at all. I experienced sea sickness which I've never experienced on a cruise before. Also, I was extremely fatigued and had headaches throughout. I barely wanted to get out of bed. I felt nausea, but I didn't throw up. I had a general ill feeling the entire time that only went away temporarily when I ate something. I got sick of the food that they were serving. By the last day, I was so thankful that the cruise was almost over. All of my past cruises were wonderful, but I don't ever want to go on another cruise while pregnant. :(

• 2 months later...

I will be 14 weeks when we go on ours and I'm really hoping I don't get seasick. I never have on a cruise (except our first one) so I am hoping this won't be any different but we shall see. Seeing all these women that have enjoyed their cruises while pregnant has got me very excited!!! Just looking at my reservation gets me excited, lol!

I will have to come back and report how it was.

• 7 months later...

I cruised while pregnant twice (once when I was 6 weeks and most recently when I was 20 weeks). In both cases, I notified the cruise line and brought a note.

For my first cruise, I made sure to bring medication for nausea (zofran, reglan, unisom (a sleep agent that helps with nausea)) and those wrist bands. Make sure to eat small frequent meals. Drink gingerale if your stomach gets upset. Not eating is the worst thing you can go for morning sickness. Make sure to stay hydrated as well.

For my second cruise, I wasn't sick at all. We had great weather and I felt good as I was in my 2nd trimester. One thing though...my DH went to get me a non-alcoholic specialty drink. After 3 or 4 sips, I knew it had rum in it. My DH took the drink back to the bartender and told him this was for his pregnant wife. We did report this situation to the customer service desk but we never heard back. They were mortified though. So just be careful with those specialty drinks.

Also, I found out that the RCL spa will perform massages on women in their 2nd trimester. Even though I didn't get one, it was nice to know it was an option.

Overall, I had pretty good experiences cruising while pregnant.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone sailed with RCCL or Celebrity pregnant... I submitted my doctors note to their "medical needs" department and I have not heard back from them. I am afraid to book a hotel the night before or do anything until I have heard back from them that everything is a-ok.

I cruised at 32 weeks pregnant (and I didn't know the policy until the week before). I explained to NCL that I had planned the cruise the prior year and was not pregnant at the time. They did offer me a full refund but I was traveling with a group and knew my group wouldn't want to go without me. In the end- they faxed over an insurance policy that cost $250 in the event that I needed to be airlifted off the ship. I guess I lucked out- this was 12 years ago. I did get to travel. Funny thing is- after all that- no one at check in said a thing. Perhaps they had indicated that I had this policy and it was ok to travel and the girl at check-in didn't mention my pregnancy at all. I did see some obviously pregnant women on the cruise I just got off. One girl was due in November and she was having a great time.

I was nauseated with both my kids in the first trimester but I don't know if the ship would have made it worse.

I just got the go-ahead from the cruiseline. I will be 16 weeks and possibly still with some nausea. I have zofran and phenergan for that if needed. Hopefully i will not need it. But at thirteen weeks the nausea is still going strong. It is a mediterranean cruise and we are well situated in the boat, so hope it will be ok. Previous boat trips\cruisez have been ok.

The seabands have not helped me at all during this pregnancy and a big trial showed they were as good as placebo. Since i own a pair i will bring them along just in case.

You ladies have me sort of nervous! I am cruising NCL in September... will be 23 weeks pregnant. Their cut-off is not entering the 24th week. So a note from my midwife saying that I'm 23 weeks during the cruise and that I'm safe to cruise will be sufficient, right? I wasn't planning on sending any document beforehand, just bringing it with me just in case they ask. I wasn't even worried about it at all until reading this thread! It would be awful to be denied boarding!! :eek:

It depends on who you are sailing with, they all have their own guidelines for pregnancy. Carnival does not allow anyone past 24 weeks. I got a doctor's letter stating how far along I was and he included my medical records too, just in case I needed them. No one ever asked and I never had any problems. I faxed it to Carnival but never had anyone say anything.

Good luck and have fun!

I sailed on Princess around 15 weeks pregnant. We faxed the note from my doctor with the estimated due date and stating that I was fit to travel to the Princess Medical Department (Princess gave me the number). I never heard a word from them so I called the next week to find out why I hadn't heard from them. They said that they just hold on to it as long as it meets their guidelines. I took a copy with me, but nobody ever asked for it.

Just check to make sure they received the note and keep a copy with you in case someone asks.

I cruised Carnival at 24 weeks two years ago. Found out I was pregnant the week before! (long story). I wasn't sure what to do, but I did get a note from my Dr. stating what week I was in and brought it with me. No one questioned me, I had no problem. There were several pregnant women on this cruise! I used the seabands too, and that really helped. No other issues. It was great having access to all that food!

Has anyone sailed with RCCL or Celebrity pregnant... I submitted my doctors note to their "medical needs" department and I have not heard back from them. I am afraid to book a hotel the night before or do anything until I have heard back from them that everything is a-ok.

I cruised with Celebrity pregnant last fall. I do remember them putting me through a lot of paperwork pre cruise. Once I got to the ship though no one ever asked for it. I'd be willing to bet they don't unless you really look it. I was about a wk or so from the cut off period. It wasn't very obvious though unless I was wearing something form fitting. I was past morning sickness at that point. I basically just experienced more fatigue that usual.

Archived