Food in Mexico

GREG781

Leaving next Sunday on the Mercury 8 night Mexican cruise. A few of the tours which we have booked, offer lunch with them. Has anyone experienced sickness from eating during the cruise sponsored tours here? We are fine with not eating if there is a serious risk of getting sick. Any info. is appreciated. Thanks....

best not to eat anything raw particularly lettuce and take bottled water with you or drink only sodas with no ice unless you are in a first class hotel with lots of american tourists. we also stay away from raw sea food like oysters. most reputable hotels have their own water purification plant so water and/or ice is usually safe.

Cabo San Lucas Coastal Highlights

Mazatlan Atv Adventure

Riverbed Horseback Ride Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Cuyutlan Eco Paradise & Sea Turtle Experience Manzanillo, Mexico

Thanks for the info.

I was on a Mexican Riviera cruise last month. I didn't do the excursions you're planning but several I did do had lunch included. I ate and drank at all of them and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. We also ate in town on our own in Cabo, Manzanillo and Zihuatanejo without any problems. I think any cruiseline sponsored excursions would have safe food and water.

Have a great cruise!

Kathy, not necessarily so. A large group I flew home with from Acapulco after a cruise, stayed at one very popular and upscale hotel that looks like a pyramid, and they all got sick from the food at that hotel, which is considered an excellent property. They didn't eat at any other place but at that hotel.

Another bit of advice, if you purchase bottled water in Mexico, make certain that you're the one to break the seal on the cap. What some have done is take dirty bottles, refill them with tap water and sell them as new.

Hey Greg!

Sounds like you will be on the 3/17 cruise also. A lot of us have a nice roll call thread on this board, maybe you will check it out! Only 8 days left now!

Hi Phil, its actually the 3/18 cruise:D though most of us

will be in San Diego on 3/17:)

Hi Greg, please come join us!

We did a tour in Mazatlan that included a lunch buffet at La Playa hotel.

We noticed that every thing was cooked.... no lettuce atop the enchiladas for example, no salad or fruits.

I pretty much figured it was because they didn't want any one getting sick, especially since most if not all of the buffet customers were from cruise ships.

Most everything in Cabo San Lucas is safe as most of the food comes down the Baja from California and the water is artesian spring water in that region... also 99% of the developemnt there was done specifically for tourists from the USA and everything is purified....

I was a travel agent and always felt comfortable sending customers to Cabo.

Re/ The other locations on your trip you should be cautious and as a previous poster suggested check the seal on bottled water. Generally speaking raw fruits and vegetables that have been peeled are ok too.

Enjoy!

We travelled to Mexico (not only on cruises) various times and never had any problem.

Yes drink bottled water with the seal on it.

In most places you will come water is purified (also for ice-cubes), but your stomach might not be used to it.

Donot drink too much cold water when you are sweating and also be careful with too much alcohol.

Donot stay in the sun too long, wear a hat and drink water before you get thirsty.

Be careful with seafood, eat it only when cooked.

Have a great cruise.

When we were in Cozumel, we ate everything! No sickness. These people make their livings on tourists, and the last thing they want to do is get people sick and risk losing their business. Most restaurants, even the little ones, use bottled water for everything including ice. We even ate from little roadside stands, and I had a strawberry margarita from a little hole-in-the-wall vendor. It was delicious!! :D

We were on the 1/29 Mercury 11-night cruise and had lunch on the Rissalena whale watch (private excursion), Mazatlan Estuaries and Birdwatching cruise with lunch at a beachfront restaurant and time on the beach (cruiseline tour), ate Greek salad at Senor Frog's in Acapulco (Rosie tour) and did an Ixtapa Beach Break with lunch and snorkeling (cruiseline tour). No problems at any of these places.

You will have a great time. We have booked Mercury for next Jan. to Aust/NZ.

Archived