Why all the duty free liquor?

Tina G

Yes, Duty free liquor, especially in places like St. Martin are remarkably cheap. Only problem now is that you can't carry it on the plane home, so it is quite difficult to bring back. We gave up trying when the flight restrictions began, not worth ruining our stuff and possibly someone elses by it breaking in the luggage. Just keep in mind, if you check it in a special box, it is still counted as one of your checked bags. So, anyone who travels with their full allowance of luggage it will put them into paying extra, which defeats the purpose.

I keep reading threads from people who are worried about being able to buy duty free liquor. Why? Do you really save that much? :confused:

2 one liter bottles of jack for $26 - Don Julio for $35 - the local rums is what we like to bring back, considering we have a good friend that is a liguor rep and can get us about anything at cost - also there is some stuff called absinthe - they have two kinds one is 150 proof and I think the other is 170 proof - its ilegal to sell in the US. Its around $25 -

We drive to our ports in Florida, so we do not have airline baggage problems. I can buy the scotch I prefer for $16.00 TO $17.00 a liter. In Georgia, it is about $40.00 and 1 liter bottles are not as common. Tequilla is about $10.00 or so a liter less. Can buy a years supply of booze and pay my onboard tips with the savings.:D Bill

It's not how much you save - it's the kind of stuff that are rare finds indeed. We brought back the max from two cruises, and it's stuff you simply can't find in the US. Try finding coffee rum from St Kitts, Guavaberry Rum from St Marteen, Mount Gay Rum (I found this in the US a couple times) and so on.

The 150 proof stuff is illegal to carry onboard the plane - Bacardi had some, the stuff is 75% alcohol :). Big warning signs. Also both in Bacardi and in Ponce @ Castillo Seralles we found some reserve bottles that make great gifts.

We just returned fron San Juan and Crown Princess. We were able to buy rum etc in store at airport after security check. Prices were as cheap if not cheaper than island stores. The store placed purchases in secure bags sealed with ties similar to electrical cord ties and this package was allowed in your carry on. I imagine breaking this seal is a no no.

I am only an occasional drinker, so I really didn't understand. I bought some special Jameson rum in Martinique as a gift for DS, but only because it was something I couldn't get here. Turns out that it retails for $85. I think I paid $32. I still don't think it's worth it, now that you have to pack it in checked luggage to fly. Maybe it's good for you people who live near the ports, though. A couple of years ago I carried two bottles of Bailey's home, and my arm ached for days. It turned out I only saved a few $$. Not all duty free prices are the same, it seems. Or maybe I just have a great discount liquor store in town. Thanks!

According to DH the best savings are on the high end liquors. He usually gets his brandy, single malt scotch, amaretto (for me) etc. Even the one time we had to pay duty we still saved a bundle. When we lived up north I carried the liquor on the plane. Glad we now live in Fl so we can still take advantage of the prices what with all of the restrictions on planes.

BTW DH worked in a liquor store so knows prices. Also checks our local store prices before we cruise.

I guess if you are not much of a liquor drinker then it doesn't matter. DH and I entertain a lot and we both usually have cocktails before dinner and sometimes an after dinner drink so we really appreciate the savings. I take one of those folding luggage carts to carry the bosex of bottles off the ship and right to the car.

According to my brother-in-law, who buys liquor in ports, it's cheaper in New Hampshire. :)

When he was visiting and driving from Boston to northern NH, I told him about the state liquor store on the highway, Route 93. He asked me where it was and I told him that he wouldn't miss it. When I caught up with him, he was astonished that there was an exit, and full signage, just for the liquor store. (There is another exit, and state liquor store, southbound as well.)

35%-45% less than local "megastore".

Just a hint, Last day of cruise may produce "specials" beyond what has already been stated. In addition, it was sign and carry. With the ship's permission, took two liters of booze back to the cabin with another 20 or so hours left on the cruise.

The link in post jebl's post will give you what is legal to bring home without paying duty. I have never been charged duty if I go over as long as I list it on the custom form, so far. If you had to pay duty it would still be cheaper than most stateside prices, especially on hi dollar booze. imho. Bill:)

Bill you have been lucky to get a lenient customs agent. We had a real stickler coming in from Panama Canal. He checked every bottle and at least he let us have the most expensive as our allowance. Still had to pay $13. It wasn't the money that griped us, but the time spent while he added everything up.

According to the ship's liquor store employee, most agents don't bother to add everything and compute the duty. We just happend to get the one jerk!

Hi jebl. We had one customs agent tell us that unless you were really over limit, we were 4 liters over, it was more trouble to fill out the form to charge than it was worth. We will get hit one of these days,but still think its worth it. We just spent 4 days in Ft. Meyers after our Feb. Cruise. Liked to froze to death. Bill:)

We're back in the mid 80's and sunny again. Cool spells never last long here. It's a real bummer to come off of a cruise and expect to have warm weather and sunshine in Fla only to have a cold spell. Happened to me in '01 after a cruise on RCI out of Tampa.

Hope you sill enjoyed our little piece of Paradise here in SW FL.

Does the duty free in San Juan have Australian wines? I'm looking for one each, red and white as I don't care for the ones offered on the ship. It better than lugging wine from home in my checked luggage.

We just returned fron San Juan and Crown Princess. We were able to buy rum etc in store at airport after security check. Prices were as cheap if not cheaper than island stores. The store placed purchases in secure bags sealed with ties similar to electrical cord ties and this package was allowed in your carry on. I imagine breaking this seal is a no no.

Archived