Still Live, Still on the Golden from here to San Francisco

DonahCBrown

Hey, if people would post only what they actually "saw" and "heard" and not rumors or what they thought someone else saw and heard, life would be a lot easier around here.. not that second-hand info posts are intentionally inaccurate but each cruise has it's own "life" i.e. what is a problem on one sailing may/may not be a problem on another one and some posts with good info get lost in speculation and trepidation about what "might" have happened or what "might" happen on a future sailing esp. where kids, conduct etc. is the topic...

::gee... I didn't realize I was standing on a soap box::::confused: :rolleyes:

okay, I'm off...:)

Wow a double post from Carolyn, I have never seen that before. :D

Can anyone on board comment about the code Red alert that's currently in affect aboard your ship? Are lots of people sick or is it all hush hush?

Pia

Hi Pia, I just got an email from a friend who is currently on the Golden.

Two days ago salt and pepper shakers disappeared from tables and bread was being served (no basket) at dinner. Yesterday all buffet items had to be served by staff, including tea, coffee and water. Today He tells me a staff member told him it was code RED (I think the codes start at yellow). He doesn't know who or how many are sick.

Jot:)

I called Princess. They said they had not heard anything from the Golden. The woman with whom I spoke assured me that if there is a problem they will (in her words) "fumigate the ship" once the passengers are off and before the new ones get on.

I know that when we were on the Dawn in November there would be restrooms that were closed and they had plastic taped up and crew in Hazmat outfits cleaning them. Also the day we got off the same was true of some of the cabins in which there had evidently been ill people.

(using hazmat makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about doesn't it)

Not according to the current policy, but I expect if the front office keeps getting suggestions/complaints they may make some changes. I intend to write quite a long letter about the internet issues from this cruise.

Thanks, Donah!

This is really not making me overly excited to get on board 3 days from

now:eek:

I will be bringing some Clorox wipes just in case.

When there's a Noro outbreak does it delay embarkation while they sanitize

the ship?

It most probably will delay your sailing by a couple of hours if not longer but at least the ship will be clean.

Keep washing your hands with soap and hot water and try not to touch your face with your hands etc etc.

It can be avoided by just being aware of what you are touching.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise:) :)

I also received an email from a friend today on the Golden, she said the same thing JotBill said.

All public bathroom doors are open for the past 2 days, they took away all the salt and pepper shakers on the tables both in the dining-room and the buffet, you can't serve yourself anything in the Horizon; not even water, tea and coffee. Also, in the dining-room there are no bread baskets; taken away 2 days ago also.

We were due to take a cruise to Alaska a few years ago and while we were waiting at the hotel we heard on the news of an out break of Noro. You would be amazed at how quickly they can sanitize that ship. They sent us to a convention center and had food catered. Instead of boarding at 1 we were told it would be 4. We went to a movie then wandered on back just as the buses were pulling up. We just waited by a bus an hopped on a half hour later. The ship cruised out of port 2 hours late. They took precautions with hand cleaning but otherwise all was well and no one was ill on our trip.

Happy5804 don't worry you will have a wonderful trip!

Dianne

I don't want to ass-ume that they will definitely delay boarding, but since

we live within 45 minutes of the port, I'd like to know one way or the

other so we can delay leaving our home so that we don't have to wait

around the City any longer than we need to. My parents are in their

70's; dad is a heart patient and I'd like for this to run as smoothly as possible. If it was

just DH and myself, I wouldn't care.:) I'm just more concerned about them.

I just want everyone that has posted from the Golden to know how much I appreciate your time and comments. This has been a wonderful trip to be part of. I have missed Arlene and the others and hope they are doing well and appreciate the others that "picked up the thread". JotBill, appreciate all the pictures that you did . It was a wonderful trip. Thanks, Beth

Sailing on the Pacific Princess April 24--Sydney to Honolulu;)

I have to second Beth's Thank Yous, you have all been great. It would of been wonderful to have all our original posters but I guess that wasn't to be. I love seeing the Machu Picchu pictures and listening to all your travels.

Thanks again, Dianne

I don't want to ass-ume that they will definitely delay boarding, but since

we live within 45 minutes of the port, I'd like to know one way or the

other so we can delay leaving our home so that we don't have to wait

around the City any longer than we need to. My parents are in their

70's; dad is a heart patient and I'd like for this to run as smoothly as possible. If it was

just DH and myself, I wouldn't care.:) I'm just more concerned about them.

2day when I called Princess they said to keep calling as they would have updated info.

Kent

Ditto everyone else's thanks to our onboard posters and their land-based friends who post pictures for us, it's been really wonderful! I hope you all enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe journey home!

Thanks a lot Jot World...now I can't get the song out of my mind.:rolleyes:

I called Princess again this morning. They still maintain that there is no outbreak of Norovirus or anything else on the Golden.:confused:

This will take your mind off of it:eek:

"I Left My Heart in San Fran - cisco, High on the Hill...... it Calls to Me"

"When I come home to you San Francisco, Your GOLDEN Sun will shine for me!"

;)

as this wonderful voyage from florida to california winds down, i want to thank tony and arlene for starting the tread and all the others including jotworld for continueing it. every morning i started my day reading the tread and felt like i was seeing part of the world i have wanted to visit. thank you all for taking me there. the best health to all of you and hope one day to "sail away" with you. with the restrictions now in place re the internet use, i can only hope to read of your adventures from time to time. thank you all again. clare

This will take your mind off of it:eek:

"I Left My Heart in San Fran - cisco, High on the Hill...... it Calls to Me"

"When I come home to you San Francisco, Your GOLDEN Sun will shine for me!"

;)

How about: "San Francisco...open your Golden Gate...you let no stranger wait...outside your door."

Any more word on conditions on the Golden?

as this wonderful voyage from florida to california winds down, i want to thank tony and arlene for starting the tread and all the others including jotworld for continueing it. every morning i started my day reading the tread and felt like i was seeing part of the world i have wanted to visit. thank you all for taking me there. the best health to all of you and hope one day to "sail away" with you. with the restrictions now in place re the internet use, i can only hope to read of your adventures from time to time. thank you all again. clare

Hi Clare,

Thank you!:) Actually I (w/easykruz aboard) did the 17 Days "Golden Live from" Rome to Ft Laud/New Orleans 11/29-12/14/06 & before that Tony did the Live from on the Golden B2B for 24 Days I believe in the Med. (He got off in Rome, when we got on, then he got on after New Orleans after we got off:D) (It sounds like we don't like each other:rolleyes: , but we will be on the Pacific Princess together Sydney to Tahiti, in 2 weeks.);)

My Best!

Came down to the Internet Cafe very early this morning to find that it was locked up tight again. The sign blamed it on satellite issues and the staff did also. When I went to the Purser Desk to inquire, I was told that the tech's onboard were working on a ship-borne issue with the Internet. They opened the Internet Cafe, but the speed remaining extremely slow.

Noro UPDATE--We all got a letter last night about the outbreak. We don't have any idea how many passengers or crew have been affected so far, the ship is taking full measures to control the outbreak. We have noticed two staterooms very near our's that were fully sanitized late yesterday. Handrails and other surfaces are being sanitized. Hopefully, the outbreak will be contained.

I was amazed to hear my daughter listening to it on her iPod the other day. Turns out a new group has re-made it. It's actually nice for me to be able to sing along and know the words! I wonder if she realizes this song is 40 years old. I was sweet 16 when it came out.

Wow....great song...I haven't thought of it in years.

Viva Scott McKenzie...those were the days my friend.

[/center]

I also just got off the phone with Princess and the woman I spoke to put me on hold while she went and tried to find out any information re; the Golden. (She hadn't heard anything.) I had asked if they expected a delay with embarkation. She came back and said that there has been no news whatsoever that the Golden even had any illness on board. I repeated to her what I read here, but she still said that they hadn't heard anything. Weird. :confused: She thought it may just be that more people were suffering from seasickness. I wonder if they took extra precaution, anyway, so that's why they took up the salt/pepper shakers, bread baskets and had the staff serve people in the Horizon Court?? Or maybe Princess just doesn't want to make a big deal out of it, allowing the media to "go to town with it"? I sure hope it's not their intention to delay boarding and yet not inform us passengers ahead of time so we can plan accordingly. They would never do anything like that now, would they?! :rolleyes: Well, we'll find out on Thursday. In the meantime, I'm going to call again tomorrow for an update.

Thanks a lot Jot World...now I can't get the song out of my mind.:rolleyes:

I called Princess again this morning. They still maintain that there is no outbreak of Norovirus or anything else on the Golden.:confused:

Archived