Solo to Alaska

Pugdog007

I'm thinking of taking a solo cruise to Alaska, possibly in Sep of this year. I've never cruised solo before. Anyone else thinking of Alaska and any recommendations on a cruiseline? I've only cruised RCCL & Disney in the past, but I'm open to other options.

Hello Pugdog:

I asked a similar question on this board last fall. If you go to page 3 you will see the thread and the wonderful responses I got. The last reply was on October 31st.

I still have not yet booked an Alaska cruise, but I am thinking of going in September of 2008. I cannot recommend one line over another, but for my money, and come to think of it, it IS my money, I will be looking for a bargain. Still, I may go with NCL because they sail in and out of Seattle, which I prefer over Vancouver.

Cheers!

Paul

I sailed solo to Alaska three years ago. It was my favorite trip. I enjoyed it so much that I am going back in June( again solo). The first time I went on holland america. I was afraid that I would be the youngest one on board but it was a mixed crowd. I had a table for eight and it was a good group with people from the late 30's or young 40's to retired. This time I am trying RCL. If you want to go to glacier bay, you may have to take holland america or princess. I believe that ncl only sails retrip from Seattle. Whichever line you choose, you will have a great time.

Judy

I'm thinking of taking a solo cruise to Alaska, possibly in Sep of this year. I've never cruised solo before. Anyone else thinking of Alaska and any recommendations on a cruiseline? I've only cruised RCCL & Disney in the past, but I'm open to other options.

I took Princess to Alaska and loved it. HAL also does Alaska up right, I'm told.

I think Alaska is a great choice for a first solo cruise. Wonderful ship-run

excursions when we went on Princess in 2004. Many solos were on our cruise and because many of the tours are exciting, everyone was having fun together and the solos were having a grand time. Friends who have done HAL to Alaska thought the cruise and excursions were excellent as well and met many solo cruisers on their ship.

Have a wonderful trip! Martha

• 2 weeks later...

Alaska was my first cruise and I went solo. Princess sails out of Seattle as well as Vancouver and Whittier. I did a round trip from Seattle but next time I'm going to fly to Vancouver and sail to Whittier. My cousin owns a B&B about 2 hours north of there and I'll stay there a few days before I fly home.

Enjoy.

I did Alaska in '98 on Princess together with my parents and brother. If you are into wildlife/scenery you'll love it. Personally, after the 3rd day at the 3rd glacier, I was bored to tears. Seen one, seen them all. Highly overrated BUT definitely something one should do at least once in a lifetime nevertheless. I was 32 at the time, so there may be the age issue too. Perhaps I'll enjoy another "nature" oriented cruise when I hit the AARP circuit.

One funny thing though: At the time I was one of 3 people in the world that hadn't seen Titanic so there I was in the movie theatre located in the bowels of the Sun Princess watching the movie in Alaska (while little iceberg were happily floating all around us outside). The announcement on the daily patter was written in a font size so small I figure it must have been sponsored by the Alaska Ophtamologist Association...

I have also sailed from Vancouver to Seaward and to be really honest if you have the vacation time I would highly recommend a one way cruise and then touring the Alaska mainland on your own. If you take a roundtrip cruise you will not have this opportunity and there is so much to see. Of course if you don't have the time or extra $ that is a good reason. When I went we planned in about 3 extra days for inland touring and it wasn't nearly enough. Next time I go back I will take the one way again but this time I will be staying longer touring even more of the state.

Just my take on this.

The second cruise I ever took was on this ship, Seattle - Seattle, and I booked a veranda suite solo. I loved it. I was with a group that had some seminars at sea, but spent alot of my time just looking around (both the ship and on land) by myself. I had one of the best days ever in Sitka, I really went all out and found a guy with a little plane that zoomed me around for a couple of hours, landed on a couple of lakes, and gave me a great birds eye view of Alaska. I also did the dog sled/helicopter tour in Juneau. Pricey, but worth every penny. We were lucky and had spectacular weather.

By the way, another idea (since the ship got into Victoria, BC rather late and only stayed in port a couple of hours) is to go back to Victoria after you disembark in Seattle (I stayed at the beautiful Edgewater Hotel). You can catch a little plane that takes you there in about an hour and spend the day at Buchart Gardens. They plant these gardens thirteen times a year so any time you go....everything is in full bloom. It's spectacular!

The Amsterdam is a lovely ship. Best wishes!

Jane :)

Okay everyone:

I've been thinking about an Alaska cruise for a while now. Well, I decided to stop thinking and start booking. I am going on the NCL Star on *lucky* September 13, 2008 - the last Seattle-Seattle roundtrip of the season. Besides the cruise, I am going to Seattle via Amtrak's Empire Builder, with a sleeper car. Figure I should also do a cross-country train trip before the day comes when they can't be done anymore. Anyone wanna go?

Paul

Okay everyone:

I've been thinking about an Alaska cruise for a while now. Well, I decided to stop thinking and start booking. I am going on the NCL Star on *lucky* September 13, 2008 - the last Seattle-Seattle roundtrip of the season. Besides the cruise, I am going to Seattle via Amtrak's Empire Builder, with a sleeper car. Figure I should also do a cross-country train trip before the day comes when they can't be done anymore. Anyone wanna go?

Paul

How about Sep 7th, RCCL this year!

How about Sep 7th, RCCL this year!

Hey Pugdog:

Gosh, I wish I could! Unfortunately, I have some of those pesky things in my life called - shhh! - responsbilities. Alas, once I get back from my Century TA in May I will have very little time for personal travel until my RCI repo in late November. In fact, it is only by planning more than a year in advance that I will be able to do a September cruise.

Happy sailing! :)

Paul

I would love to take another Alaska cruise but it will probably be next year on Princess. I'm thinking Vancouver to Whittier in either the early season or September.

But for a view of the bunny slippers I may be persuaded to change my mind. :D

Well, Sandy, here's something to chew on:

On my upcoming Century TA there is general agreement on the thread for that sailing that our official CC group wardrobe consists of, at minimum:

1) Bunny Slippers (or some other animal on one's feet)

2) Tiara

3) A particular shade of red shirt reminscent of the "red-light-district."

4) For those with the proper "assets," a thong bikini.

And to think that some groups think they are wild and crazy just for wearing Mardi Gras beads! Puh-leeze!

Now I am not going to take all the credit for that wardrobe list, but I figure by the time my Alaska '08 cruise comes around I oughta be able to convince folks to come up with an even more "interesting" ensemble. :rolleyes:

Paul

If I had the proper "assets" for a thong bikini...there probably wouldn't be any solo involved in my cruising LOL. :D

Aside from that I think I have the other 3 wardrobe items. Perhaps I should give this some additional thought after all. Now where oh where did I put my tiara?

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread and thought I'd pop in and share.

I am leaving on May 7 on the Infinity to Alaska from SFO as a solo. Thanks to CC roll call threads, I have made 'friends' with quite a few people and was asked to join a table with some of the other posters. The only other time that I sailed as a single was about 14 years ago and I had a wonderful time.

I will share with you my experiences when I return from this trip the end of May. But as was mentioned on one of the threads, the best thing to pack is a "Smile" and I totally agree with that.

Alaska is a wonderful place to cruise. This will be my 4th trip there. Next year, I am planning on an extensive interior tour through HAL.

Hi,

I'm going in a few weeks alone (first solo)on the Carnival Spirit. I have a balcony room on the Verandah deck.. Going this time of year brought my cost way down. I paid less than $1500 for a room by myself.

I will post once I return.. good luck..

Kim

Just found this thread and thought I'd pop in and share.

I am leaving on May 7 on the Infinity to Alaska from SFO as a solo. Thanks to CC roll call threads, I have made 'friends' with quite a few people and was asked to join a table with some of the other posters. The only other time that I sailed as a single was about 14 years ago and I had a wonderful time.

I will share with you my experiences when I return from this trip the end of May. But as was mentioned on one of the threads, the best thing to pack is a "Smile" and I totally agree with that.

Alaska is a wonderful place to cruise. This will be my 4th trip there. Next year, I am planning on an extensive interior tour through HAL.

Hi, I know a bunch of people on your sailing and they are

wonderful folks:) I hope you have a fantastic cruise!:D

I sailed to Alaska last year on Mercury and it was one

of my best cruises ever. Such majestic scenery....it was

almost surreal.

Oh you have been 4 times? How neat!

To the OP, I love sailing solo and went last month again

on my own.

It is definitely my choice for traveling!

Hi Lynne:) yes, I know Debbie! And I hope you have

a fantastic time.

I chat with them over in the Floataway Lounge but

have never met them live (hopefully one day).

Ya'll will have a great cruise:D they are all good people!

Just sailed on my first solo in February.. had a wonderful time.. but now I want to see Alaska...glad I found this thread... thinking of Aug.or Sept 08.... probably out of Vancouver

• 2 months later...
Anyone out there had any experience with HAL's program for Singles? I am planning one of their cruisetours for next year and it would be nice not to have to pay the single supplement.

Any ideas, thoughts?

Hi Lynne,:) there are a few threads on this forum discussing that

specific topic. You might want to scroll down and read some of them.

I have been on my own for more than 20 years now...even though

it costs me more, having my own cabin is a priority for me;)

I just want my own space.

Archived