Renting jeeps in Aruba

We were in Aruba the beginning of March this year. We tried beforehand to prebook a Jeep but they were all spoken for. When you get of the ship there are many people willing to rent you vehicles. All the jeeps were pre-rented by 9AM. We ended up taking the car we had secured prior. It is an interesting Island to drive around (ie. it truely is a desert Island). Would I do it again- no. I do however think that with a Jeep it would be more interesting. You definitely cannot explore the Island in a car. You definitely need a Jeep as several roads become dirt! So, pre rent a Jeep so you can totally enjoy the Island.

We've done the jeep rental several times. A 4-wheel drive vehicle is a must if you want to drive to the natural pool. It isn't really necessary for most other road,s but it does make for a better ride on the back side of the island.

If you pre-book you can avoid getting shut out. You also can choose from several different vehicles. Std or automatic, air conditioning or not, etc.

We pre-rented from American Rental which was recommended on the Ports of Call Board here on CC. The cost was $95.00 for the day. You have to pre-rent or you will be shut out. The only way to see the back half of the island is by off roading. There are no paved roads beyond the California Lighthouse or to the Natural Bridge or the Baby Bridge. One big piece of advice if you do rent a jeep: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD SPARE TIRE. The back half of the island is covered in volcanic rock that is hard on the tires. I know, we got a flat in the middle of nowhere, with no one in sight. Good thing we had a good spare. My husband changed it, and we were on our way. When we returned the car, the gentleman at the establishment said we were lucky because not all of the jeeps had decent spares, so check the spare before you leave the parking lot.

We rented from Super Car Rental in February and had a blast driving around the island. You will definitely need 4WD on the back side of the island. We saw people driving minivans and I have no idea how they could have managed to get through it without problems. Good luck and have fun, but definitely reserve your jeep before you get there.

We rented a 4wdrive jeep for $60. As soon as we docked we got off the hired the jeep.... all the rental places are right by the dock (100 yards max) ... once we secured the jeep we went back on the ship for breakfast and then set off on our excursion. It was brilliant. An easy island to navigate, but pretty bumpy terrain if you do the coast road.

We rented from Super Car Rental in February and had a blast driving around the island. You will definitely need 4WD on the back side of the island. We saw people driving minivans and I have no idea how they could have managed to get through it without problems. Good luck and have fun, but definitely reserve your jeep before you get there.

How did you like Super Car Rental??? We reserved a jeep through them but are worried because they did not require a credit card to hold it, most do. We did receive a confirmation however. Thanks for any info.

Mike

I too rented a jeep the minute we arrived in Aruba. Had reserved one too, but found one cheaper right off the ship. It really is a blast but like some people before me have mentioned, the terrain is rough so anything but a jeep will give you trouble. Make sure you get a good map to get you to all the awesome locations (get one with AC too, weird as it may sound).

IMG_2339.jpg

The jeep we rented (seen with my oldest son there)

IMG_2338.jpg

Rough terrain. ;)

The best way is to find a jeep tour on the Island. You just take a taxi to the tour site and you drive their jeeps on a very cool tour (with a tour guide). it only takes 4 hour max and you will go to one of the seven wonders of the world (land Bridge, very cool.) Have fun In Aruba, i stayed there for a week and loved it.

The best way is to find a jeep tour on the Island. You just take a taxi to the tour site and you drive their jeeps on a very cool tour (with a tour guide). it only takes 4 hour max and you will go to one of the seven wonders of the world (land Bridge, very cool.) Have fun In Aruba, i stayed there for a week and loved it.

Ah, but that takes all the fun out of it. ;)

Nothing like getting the sun in your face and the wind in your hair while your are driving like a maniac around Aruba (ok, so I do have a wild side in me).

As someone who has gone to Aruba for the last fourteenyears I will tell you that a jeep is the only way to drive around the Island. do not miss California Light, Natural Pool, Ostrich Farm, and alto Vista Chapel.

We rented through Super Car Rental in Aruba over the phone. They took our CC# and confirmed our reservation but did not bill our account until we were actually at their pick up location by the pier. Other members of CC on our roll call did the same and we made our own convoy that day and drove all over the island stopping at all the sites that the tours do plus had time to snorkle and had beach time. It was a great day and I would give Super Car and doing your own tour of Aruba a high recommendation. We had no problem navigating the island.

Edit... ask for a jeep with AC... it gets hot in Aruba.

While we were out with your jeep we went down the coast road/track. There is a lot of white sand just off the track and you are told not to get into it. One jeep we saw did. It took many men to get that thing out. The more the driver accelerated the more the wheels sank into the sand. We had no trouble on the track - but be warned that a jeep is no match for the soft sand.

...you will go to one of the seven wonders of the world (land Bridge, very cool.) Have fun In Aruba, i stayed there for a week and loved it.

Just in case any one was planning to see the Natural Bridge (pretty cool, although not an "official" wonder of the world), you are too late. It collapsed into the ocean back in 2005.

When we were in Aruba we went on a Jeep Caravan tour and had a blast. They take you through the national park on the North Side and there are some pretty serious rocks. You also get to see the Natural Bridge and the Lighthouse. It was my favorite thing we did there. I strongly reccommend it!

We also rented a jeep when we were in Aruba two weeks ago. We were fortunate in that there were still some available when we arrived in the morning. But we did make sure to get off the ship early just in case. People shortly after us were getting shut out. If we had not been able to get one it would have changed the entire feel of our day... and not for the better either.

We had a blast riding around the back side of the island and it was a great day. Anyone who does not go to the back side is missing a big part of what Aruba is all about. Do not even think about trying to do that part of the island in a car. It won't work. A mini van is no better. You need a vehicle with a high body and strong suspension. I agree with the above person who mentioned the soft white sand. We ALMOST got caught but managed to get out. And though we had no trouble with flat tires it could easily happen so I agree with checking out the spare before you leave the rental area.

We did see caravans of jeeps with people doing tours but it really was exciting doing things on our own and at our pace.

I rented a jeep in Aruba in March 2006. I HATED it! I know others have mentioned rough terrain. There is nothing I could write to even describe it. I was extremely motion sick. I have never been motion sick any other time-not even wooden roller coasters.

It is a really beautiful island though and I would love to go back, I would just make sure that I did something different. If you are there late, don't miss the sunset cocktail cruise. That was incredible!

Here are two pics we snapped of some honeymooners who ventured off on their own in Aruba. Even the driver for our jeep tour couldn't resist and pulled out his camera (after he called for help) and snapped a few pictures.

A jeep tour is lots of fun but can be rough on your back. Hopefully you won't get stuck!

Stuck1.jpg.fc33758435cc511006a8ab1e2e8b5ef9.jpg

Stuck2.jpg.714c6de5f487ba26fe40a30fbe99ae4e.jpg

While we were out with your jeep we went down the coast road/track. There is a lot of white sand just off the track and you are told not to get into it. One jeep we saw did. It took many men to get that thing out. The more the driver accelerated the more the wheels sank into the sand. We had no trouble on the track - but be warned that a jeep is no match for the soft sand.

Jeeps can go alot of places but you need to drive it correctly. In sand, Jeeps (and other 4wds) go better in the sand if you air down the tires to about 12 psi. The flatter tire gives you a wider tire with more contact to the surface with.

Don't forget to put air back in the tires when you reach the next gas station/convience store.

Here are two pics we snapped of some honeymooners who ventured off on their own in Aruba. Even the driver for our jeep tour couldn't resist and pulled out his camera (after he called for help) and snapped a few pictures.

A jeep tour is lots of fun but can be rough on your back. Hopefully you won't get stuck!

That is so funny! Wh did they even attempt that??!!

Be sure to get the 4x4, not just the 2 wheel drive suzuki, we passed many stuck in various places. It's about $100 for the full day, get insurance.

check the spare..... ours was FLAT, like our flat tire... we simply checked and saw the spare and carried on.... UGH:eek: PS, don't let them talk you into a mini van:o

Archived