What kind of clothing for summer cruise

Yosemitegal

Yosemitegal,

Jeans are perfect. Shorts aren´t very common in Europe and it´s mainly US tourists wearing shorts :D . Catholic churches in Europe are expecting decent clothing which usually means no shorts no tank tops.

Do not forget comfortable walking shoes!

steamboats

I'm glad I asked, I thought shorts might be a little to casual for the trip.

How warm does the weather usually get in July/August? Will it be to warm to be comfortable in jeans, would a lighter weight material be more comfortable?

I have traveled to Europe in June and in the beginning of Sept and it was hot. I had brought jeans with me and ended up having to buy some capris and cool tops when we were traveling in Germany. The only places the jeans were not to warm was in Lucerne,the Alps up in the mountains and in Amsterdam and London. I plan on bringing 1 pair of jeans,some lighter weight slacks and capris for my July Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. I've gotten better at packing light after 4 Europeon trips and plan on washing stuff in the sink when needed.

Another thought is that it is possible to check the weather forecast before you leave. Just go to weather.com and enter the cities you will be visiting.You can get a 5,10 and 14 day forecast by following the links. Not sure how accurate the 14 day forecast would be but I am sure you could get a general idea what the temperatures will be.

Yosimitegal,

No,we will be on the Avalon Tranquility starting in Budapest July 7. I am thinking the weather will be pretty warm. I hope it is not so hot that there is a big rush to grab the deck chairs in the shade.;)

We're on Amadeus is late August. I expect hot. I'll get my light weight capris ready to go. I think jeans are great to travel, but would be hot for me that time of year. So many things are not air conditioned.

Yosemitegal and letsgo39,

I would really appreciate your trip reports on your return, we are booking Budapest to Amsterdam in 2008. We are still debating which cruise line we'll be taking. Just a couple of questions. How far in advance did you book, and did you pay a lot less than the brochure prices? We are planning on using our FF miles so we can fly first class, did either of you do that? Thanks!

I booked 1 year in advance.I booked my own air and did that about 10 mos in advance. I saved a lot of money by booking my own air and by using an on line travel company called affordable tours to book the cruise.. There were also other discounts being offered by Globus who owns Avalon. I have taken several Globus land tours in the past and think they are an excellent company..

We will go 1 day early to Budapest and stay 1 day after the tour in Amsterdam.I use the tripadvisor web site to find flights and hotels plus restaurants etc.

We are traveling on Avalon and there are already some trip reports on this web site about Avalon. Comments have been very positive.

I also booked about a year in advance, river cruises fill up much faster than ocean cruises, so book early. I went through my travel agent for the cruise and also the air. She shopped around for the best airfare and also gave us a good price on the cruise, which was far less than the brochure price. I don't have frequent flyer miles, so unless I can get bumped up to first class when I check in.....I guess I'll be stuck in coach for 10 or so hours.:(

• 2 months later...

we're on same cruise. I wore mostly shorts in italy/greece (summer 2005) and Stockholm/Copenhagen (summer 2006) & did not feel out of place. I do have a pair of "zippy" pants - legs zip off & on - that work well for churches.

The "zippy" hiking pants are FABULOUS! They're light weight, but can keep you warm if it's cool, too. I wished I had several pairs of those, as I wore my one pair too frequently. That way, you can convert to shorts, but have pants if you need them.

The start of our trip (mid-May to the end of May) was cool, but by the time we ended, it was REALLY warm.

We booked one year ahead and are using the cruise line air. It worked out OK and we didn't have enough FF miles.

I'm not concerned about my outfits anymore. I'm doing capris, skirts and comfortable things that can mix and match. Light weight things are easy to pack, wash and wear.

I want to get a feel for how many men wear a sport coat for the special dinners or to a concert in Vienna? Who can give us an idea?

The tour sponsored concert in Vienna has no a/c. We were there in aug 2004---very close and hot. Most men didn't wear jackets. Even at the "special" dinners, a short sleeved dress shirt is sufficient. Pack light. Pat

I'm not as concerned for me..ladies can get away with capris and skorts..

I am more curious about what my husband can and can't wear...what about the dinners? khakis?...and during the day..his shorts are longer...the kind with the cargo pockets...I just think it's going to be so hot...

I've decided to order the Mobal phone..seems to make the most sense to me....we will be in Paris after the cruise..this is our first and I have never been there..

Tina

Gee, Alice, can my new best friend get the passport people to send ours by Fri. I"m grasping at straws. We arestill waiting for them to be returned to us--just asked for extra pages. They won't even send them back as is!!! Can you tell I"m just a bit frustrated?

My husband took a jacket on our first river cruise, wore it once. Now he takes a sweater vest and looks a bit dressier. With the reduction in weight allowances, it seems silly to pack something for 2 hours wear. Take care and enjoy. Pat

Archived