Hal Piano Bar???

Cruise Arizona

I have a question about the Piano Bars on HAL. Its been a while since I've sailed HAL and years ago the Piano Bars were "Sing Along" piano bars.

Lately I've been cruising Celebrity where the Piano bars are "Listen and Enjoy".

I think the "Sing Along" style piano bars are so much more fun, though I do enjoy listening to lovely piano music.

I was just wondering if HAL still has the sing along style, or if it might just vary from performer to performer? Or is the listen only style more in vogue now?

I love a good piano bar. :D As a matter of fact, at one point I had 161 consecutive HAL nights closing them! But that wasn't your question. :o

I think there's two big variables here. You mentioned one of them---the entertainer him/herself. The good ones get a feel for the audience and adjust the style of music and amount of "audience participation". The ones who are not as good don't.

The second variable is the set-up of the piano bar/lounge. The S-class and Vista ships have a real piano bar, where you can sit at the piano and interact with the musician and the other passengers. This is conducive to sing-a-longs. The R-class ships have a piano lounge where everyone sits at tables away from the musician. I think it's much harder to get the group dynamic going.

In both set-ups there will be designated evenings for sing-a-longs, where books of lyrics are set out. The real piano bars, though, are better for spontaneous joining in.

One other thing, there have been directives that came down from Seattle putting limits on what the entertainer can let the passengers do. It's not the way it used to be in the long ago and far away. :(

Ruth,

Could you give us a " for instance" here?

Once upon a time there was a second mic that could be passed to a patron at the piano. They could get a few moments maybe singing something special, or pass the mic along in turn. No more. Patrons aren't allowed to "entertain". It wasn't "entertaining" so much as it was just a bunch of people getting to know each other and having fun together.

I've got a few alternate lyrics to some popular songs. ;) Some of them are even clean! :D Can't share them the way I used to. :(

We "discovered" the piano bar on our second HAL cruise. It was on the Oosterdam, and the guy was a lot of fun. Maybe not that great on talent, but wonderful in getting everyone involved. We closed up te bar every night.

On our 2005 Zuiderdam cruise we had a terrible entertainer in the piano bar. Not only was her voice bad -- she let pax come up and sing! I remember walking out when someone got up to sing "Danny Boy." I just could not bear it! :eek: I avoided the piano bar after that. It was like amateur night.

Maybe that prompted the directive Ruth mentioned?

On the Westerdam in 2005 we were hoping for a decent piano player. We got a real snarky guy who never seemed to finish a song! He'd take a request, sing a few bars, then start talking to someone in the doorway, encouraging the person to come in. Then he'd start a different song.

He had a very limited repertoire. Guess he knew the first verse of a few songs and that was it!

Ew, those experiences don't sound like anything I would enjoy, either, Oceanwench. There's a big difference between getting everyone involved and amateur night. It used to be more like a party at someone's house.

So, now it's left that everyone can sing along with the piano player, but he has to be leading the performance.

And I sure wouldn't enjoy the singer stopping to chat every few bars! That would be so frustrating for me.

We had Barrie Blyth in the Piano Bar on the Maasdam and had a great time with him every evening. He was able to play virtually any request and wasn't averse to having others sing a song if they wanted.

It was interesting to note that the only times the Piano Bar was totally full was when there was Music Trivia being played. As soon as the trivia games ended, the crowd dispersed and there was a core group of about 16 of us that enjoyed the music and companionship of new-found friends.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have a question about the Piano Bars on HAL. Its been a while since I've sailed HAL and years ago the Piano Bars were "Sing Along" piano bars.

Lately I've been cruising Celebrity where the Piano bars are "Listen and Enjoy".

I think the "Sing Along" style piano bars are so much more fun, though I do enjoy listening to lovely piano music.

I was just wondering if HAL still has the sing along style, or if it might just vary from performer to performer? Or is the listen only style more in vogue now?

Sometimes earlier in the evening there is a sing-a-long/name that tune or whatever you want to call it.

It now is mostly being entertained.

"You can sing along if you like"

There are a few entertainers on HAL in the Piano Bar that are worth it.

There are more than a few that are "NOT"......:(

The piano bar on HAL was probably the best we've ever had at sea. I remember one ship had a sing-a-long -- not sure if it was HAL -- but the mic wasn't passed around -- we just all sang along. That can be fun, but we actually prefer just listening to the music.

Let me be the first one to sing the praises of Kory the Piano Man on the Noordam. The fact that he is Canadian and from just a few miles down the highway from us made it all the more special. Wonderful 11 days of sitting at the piano stools at times just listening, at times singing along. Made the cruise for us. The other bonus was no smoking in this lounge and that made all the difference for us. First time in six cruises that we have been able to even be in the piano bar. He starts his evening set around 9:30 but if you want a stool around the piano you have to be there a few minutes before that to get one. Great entertainer. My understanding is he is just on the Noordam while the regular piano man is on vacation so not sure how long his contract is for this time. Don't miss him.

Let me be the first one to sing the praises of Kory the Piano Man on the Noordam. ... My understanding is he is just on the Noordam while the regular piano man is on vacation.

Kory replaced Randall Powell who had completed his contract. He had other plans after leaving, but certainly could sign another contract some day.

I agree that Kory is excellent.

In 1979 we were on the Stattendam and they had a wonderful Filipino piano player who knew every song ever written and even had a few raunchy ones for late night. He mostly sang, but there was an opportunity for passengers to sing a few songs, most of the time this was appreciated and part of the fun.

On the Rotterdam, DH and I spent all of our evenings in the Piano bar. We had so much fun with the pianist who was great at singing is own stuff but he invited me to sing along with him. (OK I don't know how to say this with-out sounding like I am full of my self.... there really isn't a way ... so I'll just say it. ):) I'm actually a trained singer. I've done musical shows, sung the National Anthem at sporting events, performed Broadway reviews at community events, and even had some opera training, but I don't play an instrument, so I don't often get to sing with live accompaniment other than when I lead the singing at my church on Sundays. So having the opportunity to sing with this wonderful musician on the Rotterdam was such a treat for me. He was wonderful about transposing any song we could think of into the proper key for my voice. There was a small group, and though we all were there to mostly hear him sing and his piano music, the passengers sometimes would request songs for me to sing as well.

On my first Celebrity cruise, the pianist and I also sang a few songs, though he had to have sheet music in the proper key which really limited our song choices.

But on the last two cruises, when late at night, after the piano bar was nearly empty, when I requested to sing a song, the pianist said that they couldn't let me sing or reluctantly that I could sing but that they couldn't let me use a microphone. (not really necessary anyway since I have a big voice), Their response kind of made me feel guilty for even asking....like I had really overstepped my boundaries or that I was an idiot for even asking.

We had so much fun interacting with the piano players on that Rotterdam and first Celebrity cruise. There was a lot of group singing, and lots of time for the pianist to do his thing, but I loved the opportunity to collaborate with the pianist on those cruises.

But.....It sounds like times are changing, and amateur night had been moved to the Karaoke night, but boy were those times fun.

I am sure the rule prohibiting passengers "solo-ing" is not aimed at the capable singers, but at those who are not. While it is fun to hear (or be) one, it is not-so-much-fun to listen and be embarrassed for the other.

Let me be the first one to sing the praises of Kory the Piano Man on the Noordam. The fact that he is Canadian and from just a few miles down the highway from us made it all the more special. Wonderful 11 days of sitting at the piano stools at times just listening, at times singing along. Made the cruise for us. The other bonus was no smoking in this lounge and that made all the difference for us. First time in six cruises that we have been able to even be in the piano bar. He starts his evening set around 9:30 but if you want a stool around the piano you have to be there a few minutes before that to get one. Great entertainer. My understanding is he is just on the Noordam while the regular piano man is on vacation so not sure how long his contract is for this time. Don't miss him.

Also for those of you cruising the Rotterdam this summer in Europe....Make sure you see J.P. Nadeau.....he is great.......He plays and stays all night. I have seen his bar stay open later than the Crow's Nest and it was full......He will even remember your name after the first time you've been there.......He is a "HOOT".....:D

Kory replaced Randall Powell who had completed his contract. He had other plans after leaving, but certainly could sign another contract some day.

I agree that Kory is excellent.

WE LOVED Randall! I hope he'll be back . . . He's a great guy to do a shore-afternoon of shopping with, too! He knows all the ports, all the good restaurants, all the honest (?) shopkeepers. He's hilarious and fun to be with. His dress clothes are spectacular.

Sing along? Well, I suppose you could get good and drunk and sing whatever comes into your head. He probably knows it.

Lane

Once upon a time there was a second mic that could be passed to a patron at the piano. They could get a few moments maybe singing something special, or pass the mic along in turn. No more. Patrons aren't allowed to "entertain". It wasn't "entertaining" so much as it was just a bunch of people getting to know each other and having fun together.

I've got a few alternate lyrics to some popular songs. ;) Some of them are even clean! :D Can't share them the way I used to. :(

Ruth is correct. When we were on the Zaandam in 12/03 we had an AWESOME performer in the Piano Bar, Sonja Marie. Just a short time into the cruise she began to be harrassed by a man (with an entourage) who claimed to be the most popular lounge performer in CA. He wanted to perform with her and possible do a set. She explained to him that HAL rules forbade pax from performing in the piano bar and he became very angry, leaving her nasty notes taped to her microphone. Our group was very pleased that this rule was in effect because she was a fantastic entertainer and we spent every night in there from open to close.

WE LOVED Randall!

Sing along? Well, I suppose you could get good and drunk and sing whatever comes into your head. He probably knows it.

Lane

He didn't know "Celery Stalks at Midnight"...

...and Ruth wasn't even drunk!

;)

Kory Simon was 'our':) Piano Man on the Noordam and he did a tremendous job! Not only is he a very talented musician, but he isd also a quick wit, has a great repertoire for a young guy and is very handsome! Not only did we have sing alongs but he also allowed many pax who were musicians to play along (one guy brought a harmonica and he ad libbed on many nights...especially on 'Moon River';) ) and take the mic and sing. Some were very good...others not so much but still loads of fun!:D It was great fun to join him every night. There were 'theme' nights and he also took requests both for songs he could play and for those he did not know, which he added to his list of future 'songs to be played'. For those lucky enough to be anticipating a cruise on the Noordam in the next few weeks, his favorite drink is a Green Apple Cosmopolitan!:p I think he will be going to Europe sometime in late Spring, early summer...can't remember which ship. Enjoy anticipating your cruise!

Archived