If we decide not to partake in formal night activies, will we look like outsiders? :)

sppunk

AHA!!

Gotcha, thanks cousins.

I have a wardrobe (closet?) full of this sort of stuff, which we'd call slacks, or smart casual, so no probs. I didn't want to wear "shorts" and have sultansfo looking at me funny.

Thanks again.

I get excited when I spot an adult in a tux just like I get excited when I see my neighbor dressed up as a bumble bee. Don't ask me why, it just brings me a little excitement.

I kind of have the same reaction, except for me it's a lady in a nice dress and an Elvira, Mistress of the Night costume.

Khaki is a color...chinos is the style. "Dockers" is a brand name.

Scuse me cruisers. I need to talk about trousers, or pants as you call them. Often, "dockers" and "khakis" are quoted as fine for casual nights. I've asked once or twice what these are, but still fail to get it. Clearly they must relate to stuff we wear as well, because we basically wear in UK whatever you were wearing three years before (not literally, I mean we don't raid your trash bins, you know what I mean). So, ommitting no detail of colour, style, length etc, and imagining I'm from Mars (and I guess for you Scotland might as well be) can someone please explain what these are? Thanks.

Yes -- you will be out of place and most likely you will be alone if you mingle in either the Captains Welcome Cocktails or the Champagne Waterfall in your "comfy" shorts!

The OP asked whether he/she would be out of place. OP appears to be both a sensitive and sensible person. Some of us may have a thick skin and may pretend that "nothing" affects us. But in the end, our surroundings do affect even the thick skinned ones. /Sultan

Hi Spunk!

You won't be out of place.

and stay in your comfy shorts, you will not be alone! Enjoy!!

On the formal night, why not wear your darkest pair of dockers, and a long sleeved shirt (maybe a tie, bit that might over-do it)

Those of us who "dress like penguins" do find our eyes drawn to those in hawaiian shirts and surfer shorts............

Long sleeves and dark dockers might help you blend in a bit, without having to dress up too much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week my wife and I attended a charity ball held in Blackpool (a UK seaside town). We attracted enough attention (myself in tuxedo, her in floor length gown) going from the hotel to the "winter gardens" for the ball, but when, leaving at midnight, I had an attack of "the munchies" and insisted going for a late night kebab, we stood out like a sore thumb! Everyone else in casual and clubbing outfits, and ourselves in formal evening dress. They stared at us.... so if we stare at you it's only fair! (By the way, we were not the only ones to go for a late night snack... there were a few dressed similarly in McDonalds, Subway and the Indian restaurants)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever, it's who you are, rather that what you wear.

But sometimes, people deliberately dress different, and that says something about who they are.

Whatever. It seems like you have the right attitude, just have a great holiday.

After all, when the airline has lost your case, it doesn't matter what you packed......

Darling.. skip the formal and do your own thing and enjoy it ! Really when all is said and done who really cares!!:o

Amen! Who cares what the others think? If their night is ruined because of your choice, then too bad.

Enjoy your cruise the way you want to - with or without formal wear! I know I will!

To OP:

You are risking your vacation being ruined. As an extreme example, imagine you are in "shorts" and no one else is. My vacation will not be ruined because of your "shorts" but many (including I) may look at you in a "funny" way that embarrasses you. Tux or Cocktail dress may not be necessary or your bag, but a respectable / appropriate mode of dress will make you enjoy the evenings more as you comfortably mingle with the rest. And I also feel that individuals who keep saying "you paid for it, so you can dress as you like or behave as you like" are impolite and rude.

/Sultan

Always the hypocrite, but so nice that you feel you are so much better than the rest of us.

And for the record, if you are ever on a cruise that I'm on (hopefully not), and you choose to be an a&& to me, I will certainly make sure that those surrounding you, understand the element of person you are or aren't for that matter.

Have a nice day.

Well I just got off the Caribbean Princess this past sunday. I definately did NOT see 45 % of the men in tuxes,, that is pure fantasy by tux promoters.Most men wear suits and most ladies wore cocktail length dresses.

Jeans are definately allowed in the dining room on CASUAL nights. Shorts are never allowed. Jeans are not mentioned on the Patters, nor on the signs promonately displayed by the dining rooms. Just says "no shorts or t shirts"On formal nights they had a sign that said no short sleeved shirts for men.

We ate dinner in the dining room each night, but, frankly I found some better stuff in the Cafe Caribe when checking it out later in the evening. I would consider not going to formal night in the future, I disliked the amount of packing involved for clothes I would wear only twice for two or three hours.

We also prefered the portraits of our family in casual wear better, they actually look much more like us,, you don't have to dress up for portraits, and they are available on more then formal nights.

OP You will not feel left out, many change after dinner anyways.

Sulton, you cannot possibly believe that not dressing formal would actually ruin someones cruise, I mean you must be jokings, or did you mean not dressing formally will ruin YOUR cruise?? I never saw anyone staring at anyones dress on this last cruise, people generally have better things to do then stare and make judgements about others...

If you had asked this before you booked I bet a lot of posters would have recommended that you look at a cruise on an Oceania ship.

We recently sailed on the Regatta and although everything was fantastic (and in MHO head and shoulders over Princess) it was totally casual.

I never needed to wear my jacket and don't recall seeing any suits and very very few ties..

Wahay, here we go again..............................

Why do you people get so excited about this? I'm taking my suit because Princess asks me to, because I don't really mind doing so, and so that dear old eccentrics like Sultan won't swallow their teeth in shock when they see me. But this is an anachronism, a throwback that allows the Sultans of this world to carry on pretending that they are doing something selective and special. These boats are floating 3 or 4 star mass market tourist hotels with, arguably, slightly better grub. If it was on land, you would think a formal dress rule in a similar quality place was ridiculous. It will be gone on all but a few niche lines within a few years. It won't be a shame, it won't be great, it will just be. How on earth the quality of your holiday can be determined by the colour/length of trousers someone 15 tables away is wearing whilst the "chef" re-heats your frozen pre-prepared "gourmet meal" is utterly beyond me, and I think a clear majority on these boards. The pretensiousness is quite hysterical, worthy of the British middle class at it's absolute worst.

But for God's sake don't stop, you have no idea how much entertainment you provide.

On with the show..................

The Captain's Circle party is for past passengers on princess only so if it's the OP's first Princess cruise' date=' he will not receive an invitiation unless his wife is gold status.[/quote']

I am gold status but my traveling companion on this cruise is not. Will they be able to attend the gatherings with me, or must I abandon them and go alone?

Terry

Oh my....Some posters seem to have some issues they are dealing with. I for one, and hopefully the majority of those I cruise with, would not be affected by what others choose to wear. A ship is a huge fusion of diverse people from all over the world. What is considered formal in one area of the world may not be formal in your area/world. I assume most people cruise to meet others and to encounter other ways of life. It is disheartening to know that people, let alone adults, would look down or make others feel awkward just for their choice in attire. I am not debating the rules or the "guidelines". Just mesmerized by posters who are truly affected by what others wear and even spend their time posting about it on message boards. Is your life so shallow and or displeasing that you would cast demoralizing looks at others?:confused: Perhaps a cruise is not the best vacation for you...or at least a Princess cruise.:confused: Shame on you.:mad:

Yes -- you will be out of place and most likely you will be alone if you mingle in either the Captains Welcome Cocktails or the Champagne Waterfall in your "comfy" shorts!

The OP asked whether he/she would be out of place. OP appears to be both a sensitive and sensible person. Some of us may have a thick skin and may pretend that "nothing" affects us. But in the end, our surroundings do affect even the thick skinned ones. /Sultan

If you are going to quote me, do not take snippets of what I said to suit your agenda. My complete quote was "You won't be out of place. Some people dress to go to dinner and then change right after dinner back into their "normal" clothes. I'm packing light this cruise as well. I am not skipping formal night, but I'm not going as dressy as I usually do ... a pair of slacks and a dressy blouse. That's the extent of formal night for me this year ... and really, you will see people wearing all sorts of things. Whether you dine in the dining room in what I call "dressier than work" clothes, or decide to skip altogether and stay in your comfy shorts, you will not be alone! Enjoy!!"

For the record, I have yet to see anyone stare down or give "funny" looks to another passenger for what they were wearing. A lot of people, myself included, change after dinner.

after lurking and posting a little over the past few years, i KNEW the title of this post would cause a big too-do with some people. So i came over and read all this and was not a bit surprised. The poor OP just asked a question and got flamed along with other people who gave their opinion, of which the OP asked for. goodness! Everyone has an opinion, but there is no need to call people rude or impolite because their opinion differs from yours. gosh, now you have ME preaching..ggrrrrr....:mad: must.....stop....typing....

jumping off the soapbox, NEXT....

To throw in my two cents, we also go formal for dinner and the CC party, and usually change following and hang out anywhere we please on the ship. I have never gotten (nor given) dirty looks to anyone because they were or were not dressed up. I participate in formal nights because at our age we dont have the occasion to dress up at all, so this is a nice change for us, but I think whatever you decide for YOU will be your best option. have fun!

Wonderful -- at last I was able to get a reaction from the provocateurs (many who always enter the jeans / short arguments to simply provoke). One response was almost threatening! Glad to pay them back -- keep it up. And moderators -- please dont delete any posts or close this. Just getting to be fun. /Sultan

Wahay, here we go again..............................

Why do you people get so excited about this? I'm taking my suit because Princess asks me to, because I don't really mind doing so, and so that dear old eccentrics like Sultan won't swallow their teeth in shock when they see me. But this is an anachronism, a throwback that allows the Sultans of this world to carry on pretending that they are doing something selective and special. These boats are floating 3 or 4 star mass market tourist hotels with, arguably, slightly better grub. If it was on land, you would think a formal dress rule in a similar quality place was ridiculous. It will be gone on all but a few niche lines within a few years. It won't be a shame, it won't be great, it will just be. How on earth the quality of your holiday can be determined by the colour/length of trousers someone 15 tables away is wearing whilst the "chef" re-heats your frozen pre-prepared "gourmet meal" is utterly beyond me, and I think a clear majority on these boards. The pretensiousness is quite hysterical, worthy of the British middle class at it's absolute worst.

But for God's sake don't stop, you have no idea how much entertainment you provide.

On with the show..................

After lurking here for much time...you by far have posted the most truthful post, you have said everything i wish to say ( only better cause i would have been kicked off this site many times had i said what i want to say) People like Sultan, are what makes this world amazing, its what gives up comedy. I just love the message board snobbery of people, specially the old folks.

Wonderful -- at last I was able to get a reaction from the provocateurs (many who always enter the jeans / short arguments to simply provoke). One response was almost threatening! Glad to pay them back -- keep it up. And moderators -- please dont delete any posts or close this. Just getting to be fun. /Sultan

So when you state some post to provoke, I imagine you are talking about yourself. Or am I misguided? You clearly stated that you got a reaction and that you were delighted with the reactions. They call this projection. When one accuses others for what they are guilty of.

:)

So when you state some post to provoke, I imagine you are talking about yourself. Or am I misguided? You clearly stated that you got a reaction and that you were delighted with the reactions. They call this projection. When one accuses others for what they are guilty of.

:)

Nice Freudian reference! Thumbs up!To the OP, you are welcome to mingle with us during the formal activities. I don't tend to even notice what others are wearing, especially when there is an entire waterfall of booze to delight my senses. I would love for someone to try to give me "funny looks to embarrass me" because of something that I or someone I was with was wearing (or heck, even a complete stranger for that matter). It would be the beginning of a cruise they would soon not forget; as I would enjoy making sure I was next to them every second of every day that they were in public areas telling people they were my parents and dressing in my "finest" pj's and unkempt hair while associating with them daily, lol.

Nice Freudian reference! Thumbs up!To the OP, you are welcome to mingle with us during the formal activities. I don't tend to even notice what others are wearing, especially when there is an entire waterfall of booze to delight my senses. I would love for someone to try to give me "funny looks to embarrass me" because of something that I or someone I was with was wearing (or heck, even a complete stranger for that matter). It would be the beginning of a cruise they would soon not forget; as I would enjoy making sure I was next to them every second of every day that they were in public areas telling people they were my parents and dressing in my "finest" pj's and unkempt hair while associating with them daily, lol.

Are you the bogeyman my Mum used to tell me about?

Just a question: is there anyone on the planet who isn't 4 years away from a PhD? I have one works for me, cut up salmon in New Zealand to get it. Something about lice. You should meet.

Are you the bogeyman my Mum used to tell me about?

Just a question: is there anyone on the planet who isn't 4 years away from a PhD? I have one works for me, cut up salmon in New Zealand to get it. Something about lice. You should meet.

LOL, naa, not the boogyman, the boogeyman isn't real and will go away when the lights come on, I won't. LOLAre you sure you got a Ph.D, or was that an STD? LOL

Archived