If we decide not to partake in formal night activies, will we look like outsiders? :)

sppunk

Hot topic, bound to generate controversy, you can be civil and discuss this, right???? Let's try...like we were in the martini bar on the ship where we really didn't wanna get into a shouting match... 'kay?;)

Can I wear shorts and a Hawaiin shirt to the martini bar? LOL...J/K!!

Tastes great!

Less filling...

Oops. Darn, wrong argument. Maybe people would feel better if they just got one of those rear window stickers that has Calvin peeing on a tux or pair of flip flops, depending on your sentiments, to display your opinion for all to see, and move on to more useful discussions here.

We'll be on the Caribbean Princess, and my wife and I are strongly considering traveling light and skipping the formal festivities. However, we don't want to be walking around and feel out of place and make others uncomfortable as well.

Is this common? This would be the first time in our many cruises we won't dress up with the rest, so we aren't sure how many others don't do this! We are completely OK with alternative dining (Cafe Caribe, room service, Trident) on these two evenings, but do hate to miss the Captain's gatherings and champaign waterfall (is that formal on the CB, anyway).

Thanks! We are just asking because this will be our first cruise on Princess - our last was on the QM2 and we are thinking a completely relaxed, toned down trip is what the doctor has ordered for us both!

Some people do take formal nights off and just have dinner at the buffets and skip the "formal" evening events. Also, at some point late in the evening some people do change out of formal attire for something more comfortable.

I think that the following combinations DO NOT go together and should be avoided on any cruise:

1. A nose ring and bifocals

2. Spiked hair and bald spots

3. A pierced tongue and dentures

4. Miniskirts and support hose

5. Ankle bracelets and corn pads

6. Speedo's and cellulite

7. A belly button ring and a gall bladder surgery scar

8. Unbuttoned disco shirts and a heart monitor

9. Midriff shirts and a midriff bulge

10. Bikinis and liver spots

11. Short shorts and varicose veins

12. Inline skates and a walker

And last, but not least...my personal favorite

13. Thongs and Depends

I think that the following combinations DO NOT go together and should be avoided on any cruise:

13. Thongs and Depends

Well thanks! There goes my formal night attire ideas...geesh

What about Koolats and clogs?

Hot topic, bound to generate controversy, you can be civil and discuss this, right???? Let's try...like we were in the martini bar on the ship where we really didn't wanna get into a shouting match... 'kay?;)

Yes Caroline. Sorry Caroline.

We love you Caroline.

Is that the smoking martini bar or the non-smoking martini bar? Because these non-smokers are just a pain. Who do they think they are, killing thousands of people with their perfume and then stopping me from exercising my God-given rights......................

TerryH tried to change the subject, by asking

I am gold status but my traveling companion on this cruise is not. Will they be able to attend the gatherings with me, or must I abandon them and go alone?

Everyone was too busy arguing to answer.

So, for TerryH...........

If you enter the party together, showing your invite, you should be fine.

Wow. Some people seriously need to relax. It's a crusie people, we aren't arguing national security or how to free the British hostages in Iran here.

We're talking about dinner on vacation.

Simply astonishing.

Wow. Some people seriously need to relax. It's a crusie people, we aren't arguing national security or how to free the British hostages in Iran here.

We're talking about dinner on vacation.

Simply astonishing.

This is what happens when the "formal" appears in a thread. It is very unfortunate. Been going on for years and years.

marilyn

13. Thongs and Depends

Phew!!!!! I'm glad I can still sport my Minnie skirt with leggins & high heels, and my tube top ( tanks not allowed ) LOL. :D

13. Thongs and Depends

thanks for letting me know LARGIN, now I have 13 less things to pack:D

Hi,

I think it great that this is a continuing diatribe on the threads, and as Marilyn has said, it has been ongoing for years.

You have a choice, formal or not. The definition of formal is included in the info on the website and will be in the package you receive from Princess prior to sailing. Regrettably not enough of the maitre'd's onboard enforce it. The argument for this is that:

"Well I'm paying the same as everyone else so I should be able to use the dining room regardless of what I wear."

Perhaps this could be the start of something beautiful sweetheart...just think another excuse for the cruiselines to revert back to two or three class ships and dining rooms in order to charge an extra fee for the extra service.

a. We could have
first class
dining rooms where mens' dinner attire would be formal tux or dinner jacket every night;

b. We could have
second class
dining rooms where men could wear a suit, sports jacket or blazer would be appropriate; and

c. We could have
steerage class
dining rooms where you could wear jeans, shorts etc.

You might think I'm being harsh, but not really for in the seventies, P&O, (the grandmother of Princess Cruises) had two class ships (Oriana, Canberra) with first and second class dining rooms. In the late fifties/early sixties CP Steamships had the same on their Empress vessels across the Atlantic.

You may say times have changed, however one cruise line (coincidentally owned by Carnival) namely Cunard has retained the tradition of the separate dinng rooms albeit based upon the category of accommodation you book for the voyage (QEII, QMII, and the forthcoming Queen Victoria).

The initial question on this thread that I believe was asked is if you would feel out of place not dressing formal. For the most part I would say yes, as I firmly believe (from even cruising Carnival) that the majority of shipgoers like to partake of the old sea tradition of dressing for dinner.

If formal is not your thing, then the Horizon Buffet (on the large vessels) is there for your formal evenings.

I do agree that jeans are not appropraite attire in the dining room for dinner (Traditional or Personal Choice) at any time and I feel that people that do so are just trying to challenge the system.

Thanks for the time and to answer the question...yes I think you'd be left out.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi,

I think it great that this is a continuing diatribe on the threads, and as Marilyn has said, it has been ongoing for years.

You have a choice, formal or not. The definition of formal is included in the info on the website and will be in the package you receive from Princess prior to sailing. Regrettably not enough of the maitre'd's onboard enforce it. The argument for this is that:

"Well I'm paying the same as everyone else so I should be able to use the dining room regardless of what I wear."

Perhaps this could be the start of something beautiful sweetheart...just think another excuse for the cruiselines to revert back to two or three class ships and dining rooms in order to charge an extra fee for the extra service.

a. We could have
first class
dining rooms where mens' dinner attire would be formal tux or dinner jacket every night;

b. We could have
second class
dining rooms where men could wear a suit, sports jacket or blazer would be appropriate; and

c. We could have
steerage class
dining rooms where you could wear jeans, shorts etc.

You might think I'm being harsh, but not really for in the seventies, P&O, (the grandmother of Princess Cruises) had two class ships (Oriana, Canberra) with first and second class dining rooms. In the late fifties/early sixties CP Steamships had the same on their Empress vessels across the Atlantic.

You may say times have changed, however one cruise line (coincidentally owned by Carnival) namely Cunard has retained the tradition of the separate dinng rooms albeit based upon the category of accommodation you book for the voyage (QEII, QMII, and the forthcoming Queen Victoria).

The initial question on this thread that I believe was asked is if you would feel out of place not dressing formal. For the most part I would say yes, as I firmly believe (from even cruising Carnival) that the majority of shipgoers like to partake of the old sea tradition of dressing for dinner.

If formal is not your thing, then the Horizon Buffet (on the large vessels) is there for your formal evenings.

I do agree that jeans are not appropraite attire in the dining room for dinner (Traditional or Personal Choice) at any time and I feel that people that do so are just trying to challenge the system.

Thanks for the time and to answer the question...yes I think you'd be left out.

Ciao for now!!!

I understand and appreciate your well thought out response. I guess my issue with this is the fact that I can certainly afford to pay for first class accommodations, so if I choose not to "dress that way" should I not be allowed to book a particular cabin? I do not mind dressing a certain way if the ship/clientelle/ambiance call for it, but, I do not feel that applies to all cruises.

For instance, we are taking a 15 night rt lax to hawaii in May on the Regal. We researched this beautiful ship and chose it for 1) the older crowd that would adhere to the "tradition" of sailing moreso than we have seen recently 2) the ship itself giving off that "feeling" of being on an ocean liner with teak wood decks and charm and wanting to "get back" to a relaxing cruise with a clientelle that suited our social circle a bit more. Considering we are mid 30's (myself) and 40 (husband), we are probably a bit younger than the average cruiser onboard this particular voyage, but we PLANNED our trip to fit our expectation of this particular voyage. To me, that meant respecting and adhereing to the expectations of my elders. There is NOTHING wrong with their expectations, and I look forward to helping them enjoy their cruise as much as I will mine.

On the other hand, if I chose to book one of the mega liners, I will certainly be booking a balcony cabin or suite (suites on cruises are quite a bit cheaper than a trip to Disneyworld on the Premium Package for us, so we alternate our vacations. Neither is better or worse, they are just different) but NOT dressing to the nines for a formal dinner. To me, those ships were built to cater to the masses, and my dress will not deter from the enjoyment the masses feel on that voyage. (For the record, I have yet to sail a mega liner for this reason. The ships I have sailed have been the Nordic Empress, the Vision of the Seas, the Majesty of the Seas (pre renovation) and now the Regal. I have been to Disneyland and Disneyworld no less than twice a year for almost a decade. So as you can tell, when I want to get back to my traditional "cultured" roots, I book a cruise that caters to that. When Princess can no longer do that (as RCCL cannot anymore), I will find another cruise line. For now, they are the cheapest for me to get a lovely oldstyle ship.

I do appreciate your reasoning for wanting the formal dress, but, I would also hope that you could respect my reasoning for picking and choosing vacations that cater to the type of vacation I would like to experience. I have a problem with dressing formal on a ship that holds three thousand people each week. I don't discount their cruise experience, but, I just cannot comprehend how someone could say they want "traditional" cruising when they are on a ship that offers every amedity under the sun, where does it end?

Hopefully that will help you understand a bit more as to why, although enjoying traditional cruising, some do not hold it as a standard when booking newer ships.

Hi Doc

Don't get me wrong I was being sarcastic. That being the case, you must admit I do have a point WRT dress and dining rooms. If people want to be casual, it's simple go to the casual restaurant.

...and by the way at 58 I believe I am definitely your elder. As you can see I prefer the smaller vessels also, the largest (and never again) being the EOS. Have a great cruise guys as the Regal is running out of time here in North America.

Caroline,

I don't envy you your moderator's role. I'm afraid there are some issues dealt with on our CC threads where I would have thrown tact aside a long time ago. Keep happy girl!!!

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Doc

Don't get me wrong I was being sarcastic. That being the case, you must admit I do have a point WRT dress and dining rooms. If people want to be casual, it's simple go to the casual restaurant.

...and by the way at 58 I believe I am definitely your elder. Have a great cruise guys as the Regal is running out of time in North America.

Caroline,

I don't envy you your moderator's role. I'm afraid there are some issues dealt with on our CC threads where I would have thrown tact aside a long time ago. Keep happy girl!!!

Ciao for now!!!

Dr etc

LOL..hey again Ronster! I think I was still trying to come up with a well worded response when you responded to my initial "unfinished" response. Dang laptop went crazy on me, lol.

And at 58, you'd have a hard time convincing me you were in need of me treating you differently, lol....I say we do shots and argue it out. We will pass out drunk in our formal wear on the deck together! Scrapbook THAT picture Jean Police!! LOL...j/k

...hate to miss the Captain's gatherings and champaign waterfall...

To be honest, these two events are not that big of a deal to miss, IMHO.

I never go to formal nights in the dinning rooms. I also don't like to take the extra clothing and it's just not something I enjoy that much. I go to the buffet, which believe it or not, is extra nice those nights. If I go to the theater those nights, I wear my nicest, darkest, smart casual clothes so as to not clash too much. I've never had a problem.

That being said, I WOULD feel out of place IF I went to the main dining room without formal clothing. Some people don't mind doing that, but I'm not one of them.

Ahhh the Formal Night Debate!

So many opinions, so few formal nights LOL

IMO it's really no different than if you are staying at a hotel that have "themed" dining nights:

Say one night their theme is Italian food-now you know it gives you heartburn, and you really don't want to go, so what do you do?

Do you go anyway and order Chinese just to buck the system?

Or do you simply go to the great burger joint down the way and really enjoy yourself?:rolleyes: :D

Just off the Diamond Princess and a Tux was rarely seen (actually I didn't see any), however suits and dresses of some sort were worn or nice pants and tops for the ladies on formal nights. However many changed after dinner to casual.

Just off the Diamond Princess and a Tux was rarely seen (actually I didn't see any), however suits and dresses of some sort were worn or nice pants and tops for the ladies on formal nights. However many changed after dinner to casual.

I think the duration as well as destination of the cruise play a roll in what people tend to pack. I'd say get on the roll calls for your cruise as ask what others are doing for your same cruise.

Bon voyage and which way you dress!:)

To OP:

You are risking your vacation being ruined. As an extreme example, imagine you are in "shorts" and no one else is. My vacation will not be ruined because of your "shorts" but many (including I) may look at you in a "funny" way that embarrasses you. Tux or Cocktail dress may not be necessary or your bag, but a respectable / appropriate mode of dress will make you enjoy the evenings more as you comfortably mingle with the rest. And I also feel that individuals who keep saying "you paid for it, so you can dress as you like or behave as you like" are impolite and rude.

/Sultan

Oddly enough I am confident, and comfortable, in the way that I dress and wouldn't even notice the "funny" way you were looking at me. Not that I spend a lot of time looking for other people who are making "funny" looks, or for that matter making "funny" looks at other people. :D

I am way too busy enjoying myself! :cool:

Cheers,

Peter

13. Thongs and Depends

Unfortunate, but we will be seeing these on a regular basis in the next 20 to 30 years. :D

Now isn't that a scary thought! :eek:

Cheers,

Peter

Archived