If we decide not to partake in formal night activies, will we look like outsiders? :)

sppunk

The bad things about playing dress up now is:

1) The formal pictures now cost $25 each - they were $20 back in October.

2) Formalwear takes up alot of room in luggage where I would have room for buying items at the ports instead.

3) The airlines placed a limit of 2 bags to check in per person at 50 pounds each. With the luggage already being heavier due to the rollers it doesn't take long to reach that limit. My main bag was at 49.5 pounds returning with only tiny souvenirs.

4) The cruiseline should offer the same food at the buffet like lobsters.

5) It takes alot of time out of my cruise to get ready for formal nights that I could spend having fun.

Talking with people on our recent trip indicated that more than not do not like dressing up and some of those that do not mind dressing up claim to do so because they can feel "rich" and "escape completely" even though it took them several years to save up for the cruise.

Well, for the record, I wasn't "yelling." I used all caps and bold so it would stick out to people who were reading.

I was appalled at the amount of people who wore jeans in the dining room on the Mariner. I even saw a guy wearing a t shirt, jeans and Velcro sneakers on formal night in the dining room. I agree with the poster who said it's really sad, especially when the guidelines are clearly spelled out for you.

So let me get this straight. You went on a ship that holds over 3k passengers, has a rock climbing wall, in line skating, 9 hole mini golf course, golf simulators, and a full size basketball court so that you could feel the "tradition" of cruising and dress formally, staying with "tradition"?

Yeah, that makes sense. :cool:

So let me get this straight. You went on a ship that holds over 3k passengers, has a rock climbing wall, in line skating, 9 hole mini golf course, golf simulators, and a full size basketball court so that you could feel the "tradition" of cruising and dress formally, staying with "tradition"?

Yeah, that makes sense. :cool:

What does a rock climbing wall, in line skating, mini golf, etc, have to do with dressing up for dinner? Talk about making sense.

And you quote "tradition" as if I mentioned the word in my previous posts, which I did not.

There are specific guidelines to be followed. No jeans in the dining room. If you can't follow them, go to the buffet (there, no caps) :p

What does a rock climbing wall, in line skating, mini golf, etc, have to do with dressing up for dinner? Talk about making sense.

And you quote "tradition" as if I mentioned the word in my previous posts, which I did not.

There are specific guidelines to be followed. No jeans in the dining room. If you can't follow them, go to the buffet (there, no caps) :p

Ok, the princess guidelines say no torn jeans or shorts in the dining room for dinner, it makes no mention of HAVING to dress a particular way for formal night, just that torn jeans and shorts won't be allowed during dinner hours.

The formal dress is traditional, and I, for one, will not dress formally on a ship that holds over 1500-1600 people or that has every extra under the sun (like rock climbing walls, ect). That is where I choose to draw the line, but, in my opinion, people that don't wish to dress formally even on the ships that I choose to will have NO effect on my cruise experience.

When the buffet serves the same food as the dining room on formal nights, then I'll go to the buffet.

In the meantime, look for me in my rainbow shirt & fruit bowl on my head..... Yiah, yiah, yiah (imitating Charo).

Maybe THAT should become the new tradition (emphasis, not yelling).

When the buffet serves the same food as the dining room on formal nights, then I'll go to the buffet.

In the meantime, look for me in my rainbow shirt & fruit bowl on my head..... Yiah, yiah, yiah (imitating Charo).

lol! I think I may have some of those old rainbow suspenders laying around in a box somewhere. You could add those to your ensamble and it would really add the much needed "class" that so many on here feel is achieved by adding suspenders or a cumberbun to an outfit.

That's the best reason I've ever heard as to why to go to the buffet.....Charo is in the dining room

This thread is a pisser!

My two cents. I rent a tux from the cruise line service and have it delivered and picked up by them. Very convenient. I enjoy putting it on. I get the white jacket and the black pants, throw down a couple of martinis and walk around like I think I am James Bond. My wife says I look more like Howdy Duty but that is another story.

Nontheless, I could care less if people show up in jeans. As long as they smile and are friendly. Who gives a rat about what they are wearing. I am James Bond and I look good !! Not everyone can be like James Bond.

What really gets my goat is when I get room service and the butter is fresh out of the ice box and you can't spread it easily. I have gone to the captain regarding this several times. He said I should be "fruitful and multiply" or something to that effect.:D

This thread is a pisser!

My two cents. I rent a tux from the cruise line service and have it delivered and picked up by them. Very convenient. I enjoy putting it on. I get the white jacket and the black pants, throw down a couple of martinis and walk around like I think I am James Bond. My wife says I look more like Howdy Duty but that is another story.

Nontheless, I could care less if people show up in jeans. As long as they smile and are friendly. Who gives a rat about what they are wearing. I am James Bond and I look good !! Not everyone can be like James Bond.

What really gets my goat is when I get room service and the butter is fresh out of the ice box and you can't spread it easily. I have gone to the captain regarding this several times. He said I should be "fruitful and multiply" or something to that effect.:D

Well maybe if you tipped for room service they wouldn't bring you hard butter :D :eek: :p ;) , oh wait, that's another thread, lol

disclaimer: my response to this poster is in no way representative of whether or not they tip room service. I happen to 1) not know and 2) not care if the above poster tips, my response was tongue in cheek and meant to amuse above poster. Thank you very much, now back to your regularly scheduled class debate.

Sorry, I meant Howdy Doody. DW corrected me. She is so smart (and beautiful too).

Your wife is smart, can't go wrong with someone looking like Howdy Doody and/or James Bond, they are both nice guys...;)

Well, not in your case .. but may I say, there seems to be a lot of Howdy 'DUTIES' on these boards :D

You could say it. Nobody would know what the heck you're talking about...but you can say it.

They could be the same person, after all you never see them at a party together,:cool: Hmmmmm

Q, I think my cover has been blown. I am swithing to Curly. nuk-nuk-nuk-whoop-whoop-whoop--whoop.......Larry, Moe, the cheese, give me the cheese!!!!:D :D

Good Grief - calm down already. Enough is enough - this issue is something that will always be there and everybody is going to be upset about it. The biggest problem here is that people tend to give their opinion as fact and then beat up on others who do not have the same opinion. Face it - we're never going to agree, but there is no reason for snottiness. :)

Life is so short and there are far more serious issues in the world.

Well all I can say to that is

AMEN AMEN!!!!!

::wondering why I didn't think to say it as well::::

please play nice, folks.. this topic is old as the hills and never changes...

Archived