If we decide not to partake in formal night activies, will we look like outsiders? :)

sppunk

I think that the following combinations DO NOT go together and should be avoided on any cruise:

1. A nose ring and bifocals

2. Spiked hair and bald spots

3. A pierced tongue and dentures

4. Miniskirts and support hose

5. Ankle bracelets and corn pads

6. Speedo's and cellulite

7. A belly button ring and a gall bladder surgery scar

8. Unbuttoned disco shirts and a heart monitor

9. Midriff shirts and a midriff bulge

10. Bikinis and liver spots

11. Short shorts and varicose veins

12. Inline skates and a walker

And last, but not least...my personal favorite

13. Thongs and Depends

Too funny Largin!:D

Ahhh the Formal Night Debate!

So many opinions, so few formal nights LOL

IMO it's really no different than if you are staying at a hotel that have "themed" dining nights:

Say one night their theme is Italian food-now you know it gives you heartburn, and you really don't want to go, so what do you do?

Do you go anyway and order Chinese just to buck the system?

Or do you simply go to the great burger joint down the way and really enjoy yourself?:rolleyes: :D

Not quite. The argument here is: you've only brought brown shoes, and you LOVE Italian food....but they're saying if you don't have black shoes, you have to eat burgers... (and you don't like burgers).

Not quite. The argument here is: you've only brought brown shoes, and you LOVE Italian food....but they're saying if you don't have black shoes, you have to eat burgers... (and you don't like burgers).

So am I understanding you correctly? <you love formal nights but don't want to get dressed up>?:confused:

Ok- semantics aside, everyone know there are suggested clothing guidelines for each cruise line, you either follow them or you don't, either interpret them as they are written or don't. Personally I don't care I do my own thing, but if you book a cruise and KNOW that there will be Formal nights-and have time to plan your attire in advance-whats the fuss? Why not book a more casual style cruise where you are not pressured to do anything you are not comfortable with?:)

Either way have a great cruise!

So am I understanding you correctly? <you love formal nights but don't want to get dressed up>?:confused:

Ok- semantics aside, everyone know there are suggested clothing guidelines for each cruise line, you either follow them or you don't, either interpret them as they are written or don't. Personally I don't care I do my own thing, but if you book a cruise and KNOW that there will be Formal nights-and have time to plan your attire in advance-whats the fuss? Why not book a more casual style cruise where you are not pressured to do anything you are not comfortable with?:)

Either way have a great cruise!

Because I want to book this trip. I like the food, the ports, the ship, I just don't want to dress up.

What I said was that one could love the food, not the attire...and why the two (enhanced meals w/formal night) have to be inextricably linked, is beyond me.

If the cruiseline simply had the Captain's Dinner (or whatever they call it) on a night OTHER than formal night (such that the food on formal night was no different in quality than the food on any other night), then I'd have NO qualms about it at all.

My only issue is the linking of "best meal of the trip" with the "dress up or eat slop at the buffet" dress code.

Either unlink the food & dress....or make the same meal available on formal night...through room service or at the buffet for those who don't want to dress up.

I don't mind eating in the buffet, and I don't mind room service....as long as I'm getting the same food options as everyone who chose to dress up.

Because I want to book this trip. I like the food, the ports, the ship, I just don't want to dress up.

What I said was that one could love the food, not the attire...and why the two (enhanced meals w/formal night) have to be inextricably linked, is beyond me.

If the cruiseline simply had the Captain's Dinner (or whatever they call it) on a night OTHER than formal night (such that the food on formal night was no different in quality than the food on any other night), then I'd have NO qualms about it at all.

My only issue is the linking of "best meal of the trip" with the "dress up or eat slop at the buffet" dress code.

Either unlink the food & dress....or make the same meal available on formal night...through room service or at the buffet for those who don't want to dress up.

I don't mind eating in the buffet, and I don't mind room service....as long as I'm getting the same food options as everyone who chose to dress up.

It is a tradition on most cruises to have 1 or more formal nights and sometimes an enhanced menu goes with it, wanting the tradition to be put aside for a few passengers who see it differently is like asking to not have turkey on Thanksgiving-it's tradition-right or wrong.

It is a tradition on most cruises to have 1 or more formal nights and sometimes an enhanced menu goes with it, wanting the tradition to be put aside for a few passengers who see it differently is like asking to not have turkey on Thanksgiving-it's tradition-right or wrong.

That's absurd. It was tradition to burn witches at the stake, too. And for a long time slavery was "traditional".

As part of a "non-traditional" family unit, I get VERY antsy when tradition is trotted out as the only reason to do something.

That's absurd. It was tradition to burn witches at the stake, too. And for a long time slavery was "traditional".

As part of a "non-traditional" family unit, I get VERY antsy when tradition is trotted out as the only reason to do something.

That's pretty obvious.

It's food lady-not brain surgery!

C'mon let it go and enjoy yourself-(THATS a vacation tradition)

Now thats a good comeback:D :D

I try to be amusing, flippant & offer some repartee...but that requires understanding what was said.

"That's pretty obvious.

It's food lady-not brain surgery!"

Made no sense to me, whatsoever.

Is this person justifying the idea that people who don't dress up deserve to also be fed lower-quality food if they're willing to eat in the buffet?

If that's the case....I'll be sure to ruin everyone else's night, by demanding that I be allowed to eat in the dining room in my neatly pressed Dockers & collared shirt.

It's one thing in my opinion to be asked to preserve an atmosphere for some people, by eating elsewhere (I can understand it, appreciate it, and even cope with it). It's entirely another if I'm forced to ALSO eat from a lesser menu. That gets my goat, and I'll argue against it.

The Captain's Circle party is held on formal night and just about everyone who attends is dressed up. You may want to plan on skipping that. The Champagne Waterfall is usually at about 11PM (or is it 11:30?) and by that time, many people have changed but many will also still be in formal clothes.

If you read the OP, I think Pam (The first to reply) answered it pretty well.

It was a simple and accurate answer to a simple question. :)

Reading some of the comments in this thread is really funny, just like a bunch of kids. You want to go on a cruise so why not just simply follow the guidelines and dress code from the cruise ship and just be one community sharing the same ship for a short week. How difficult can this be? If someone is so against dressing formal, maybe they shouldn't consider going on a cruise with formal nights and go on their own trip where they can wear t-shirt and jeans and go to MacDonald. I do that a lot too.

On a cruise, I think it is being polite to dress nicely on formal nights and captain's night, just like going to a wedding, party and/or a nice restaurant. Some time it is difficult to understand when everyone wants 5 star service, pampering, champage, sophisticated food and restaurant ambience but not doing the same with their own appearance.

Reading some of the comments in this thread is really funny, just like a bunch of kids. You want to go on a cruise so why not just simply follow the guidelines and dress code from the cruise ship and just be one community sharing the same ship for a short week. How difficult can this be? If someone is so against dressing formal, maybe they shouldn't consider going on a cruise with formal nights and go on their own trip where they can wear t-shirt and jeans and go to MacDonald. I do that a lot too.

On a cruise, I think it is being polite to dress nicely on formal nights and captain's night, just like going to a wedding, party and/or a nice restaurant. Some time it is difficult to understand when everyone wants 5 star service, pampering, champage, sophisticated food and restaurant ambience but not doing the same with their own appearance.

I've got an even simpler suggestion, you do what you like to do and dress up all you want, and I will do what I like to do and not dress up. :D

I'm sure it makes you happy to think you are being polite and mannerly and all to dress up, but I, and a lot of other people, think it is irrelevant. Why some people think it is oh so much more fun to wear a black suit and have everyone else wear a black suit while you eat your dinner, it just boggles the mind.

Maybe it is a uniform fetish or some such. :confused:

By the way, I also do not dress up for weddings, parties and/or "nice" restaurants. :eek:

Cheers,

Peter

Why do you assume someone who doesn't want to dress formally, would not dress neatly or "nicely"?

A black turtle-neck and slacks looks "nice", but doesn't require packing jackets & tuxes.

Besides...if "we" stopped cruising....chances are the ship wouldn't sell out, and YOU wouldn't be able to play your dress-up games.

I keep wavering on this topic, but this message has convinced me not to wear formalwear.

Your idea that I should blindly follow whatever "guidelines" are put in place, for me creates the 'herd' mentality which is the bane of American existence.

I think I'll wear a rainbow colored shirt, and a fruit basket on my head...

I have to say, it really is insulting when you get all dressed up to present yourself well on formal night and other people think jeans and sneakers are acceptable. It's annoying and disrespectful. If you don't want to dress up, GO TO THE BUFFET. That's what it's there for.:rolleyes:

Some time it is difficult to understand when everyone wants 5 star service, pampering, champage, sophisticated food and restaurant ambience but not doing the same with their own appearance.

Or for some of us, it is difficult to understand why people want to dress up to the extreme in tuxes for, at best, 3 star food and 4 star service. (If you had ever been to a 5 star restaurant, you would not even consider most cruise ships 5 star, and certainly NONE of the mass market lines).

I have to say, it really is insulting when you get all dressed up to present yourself well on formal night and other people think jeans and sneakers are acceptable. It's annoying and disrespectful. If you don't want to dress up, GO TO THE BUFFET. That's what it's there for.:rolleyes:

Nice yelling at people. Talk about disrespectful and annoying.

Nice yelling at people. Talk about disrespectful and annoying.

Yelling? Last I checked, it was called typing. And to be perceived as yelling, wouldn't there need to be an exclamation point or two? ;)

All caps (and bold) is considered yelling in internet etiquette. :eek:

Well, for the record, I wasn't "yelling." I used all caps and bold so it would stick out to people who were reading.

I was appalled at the amount of people who wore jeans in the dining room on the Mariner. I even saw a guy wearing a t shirt, jeans and Velcro sneakers on formal night in the dining room. I agree with the poster who said it's really sad, especially when the guidelines are clearly spelled out for you.

Archived