Tendering Questions

magictam

I'm trying to schedule a shore excursion in Sitka with an independent outfitter. The time on the ships schedule says we will be in Sitka from 8am - 5pm. But I'm not sure what this really means. Is it really 9-4 by the time you get off and should be back on? This leads me to my question.

If my excursion leaves at 9:00 how do I schedule a tender off the ship? I'm assuming since I'm not scheduling the excursion through HAL I won't be given priority in line to get off.

What time do I have to be back on the ship? Are tenders hanging out at the pier to take back anytime or do they have to be schedule? Are there certain tenders for certain cruise ships? I would hate to try and get on a different ship. Do you tip the tender drivers?

Thanks in advance for all the tips and advice.

Sounds like the same excursion I have in May, same ship too. I was told by the vendor to "be aggressive" about getting on an early tender. I have NO PROBLEMS being aggressive when there's $$$ at stake on an excursion. You can bet I'll be on the 1st tender in Sitka!:cool:

You will have to report to a specific (proably the show lounge) area to get a tender ticket. It's first-come/first-served as far as the order goes. Shore excursion passengers normally meet in a different location. At a given point your tender # will be called and you proceed to the staging area, the tender loads, and you leave for shore.

If you want/need an early tender then you need to get to the meeting area early to get an early number.

The tenders (and there will be 2-4) run continuously. As one loads at the ship it leaves and another starts to load. As they unload at shore they pull away and another pulls up to unload.

When it's time to return to the ship you get in line to wait your turn to board the next tender with room for you. Each ship has it's own set of tenders; you will be directed to the correct line if there is more than one ship in port.

There will be a "last tender" time in your Daily Program, and it will also be posted at the exit from the ship.

No, you don't tip the tender driver (at least not yet. :rolleyes:)

I understand pax in suites that qualify for access to the Neptune Lounge have priority for tender tickets. A few questions I've been wondering about in regard to that:

What does "priority" mean, exactly, in this context? Does it only mean that you can get on the first tender or two, or does it mean you can go to the head of the line whenever you arrive at the boarding area for the tenders?

Do you pick them up from the Neptune concierges, or where?

At what time do they become available - only that morning, or the day before, or ??

I understand pax in suites that qualify for access to the Neptune Lounge have priority for tender tickets. A few questions I've been wondering about in regard to that:

What does "priority" mean, exactly, in this context? Does it only mean that you can get on the first tender or two, or does it mean you can go to the head of the line whenever you arrive at the boarding area for the tenders?

Do you pick them up from the Neptune concierges, or where?

At what time do they become available - only that morning, or the day before, or ??

Priority is given to passengers who are on HAL Shore excursions (and holding the excursion ticket which was delivered to their stateroom) and Deluxe Suite & PH Passengers. Once there are no more of these people in line for the tenders (generally after the first few groups), then the other pax w/ the tickets from the showlounge will be permitted to board tenders for departure.

IIRC, Deluxe Suite pax either have tender tix delivered to their suites the night before or are able to depart as they wish just using their stateroom card which is a different color than the standard blue.

Frankly, I wouldn't schedule a private excursion before 9.30/10am unless I was in a Deluxe Suite - particularly if tendering.

Definitely do not schedule an independent tour until 9:30 or 10. You will have to get to the appropriate lounge very early to be in line to get a ticket for the tender to shore. They will take care of their own tours first and then when the majority of the tour passengers are taken care of, they will begin to call numbers. Just make certain that all of you are there and not roaming around so as to not to miss your number being called.

For the last several years we suite passengers have not been given tender tickets in many of the ports. One time we were given a pink star on our ID cards that indicated we were suite passengers.

For the last couple of years we have been getting gold ID cards compared to the other passengers who get blue ID cards. All we have to do is go down to the gangway and show our ID card. No tender tickets anymore. This for only the PS and S passengers.

They used to provide Suite Tender Tickets to Suite guests and they were delivered the night before a tender port.

Now, the ID card for guests in "S" and "PS" cabins is a slightly different color than other cards and the crew on the gangway can identify who has priority tendering by seeing the color of the card.

Thanks for the prompt and informative replies, bepsf, KK, and Sail7! Can you stand just one more request for clarification?

From your replies, it sounds like Neptune-level suite pax can get onto a tender quickly if they go down early, when access is still limited, but if they wait until general tender ticket numbers start getting called, then it's luck of the draw as far as how long one would have to wait, yes? Or can such pax count on getting right onto the next tender even after general boarding has started? I hate the idea of cutting in line, but I suppose I'll do it if the rules clearly entitle me to.

I'm not planning any shore excursions, so not worried about deadlines, but would like to avoid long waits in line to spare DH's bad back, and would prefer not to wait until everyone else has already gone ashore. Just trying to gauge what that means in terms of how early we'll have to be ready to go. Thanks.

I think it would be rather difficult to "cut the line" for the tenders - even w/ a Deluxe Suite card...

...mainly because the line can wind back up the narrow staircase down from Main to "A" deck, and then down through the lower embarcation lobby and down the even tighter staircase to the tender ramp. * There just isn't room for two folks to pass in some of those passages - and the need simply isn't there since the line moves fairly swiftly.

Don't want to deal with lines at all?

Head down to the tenders after 10am...

Or can such pax count on getting right onto the next tender even after general boarding has started? I hate the idea of cutting in line, but I suppose I'll do it if the rules clearly entitle me to.

quote]

Geeeeeeeeezz, does this mean if there's an emergency your entitled to get on the lift boat first? or are you just going to step on/over those beneath you?

From your replies, it sounds like Neptune-level suite pax can get onto a tender quickly if they go down early, when access is still limited, but if they wait until general tender ticket numbers start getting called, then it's luck of the draw as far as how long one would have to wait, yes?

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. We had an independent shore excursion in Sitka last summer, and we made sure we got down to the tenders early, were almost the first in line, and made the first tender in. The information regarding the tendering process will be in your cabin the evening before.

Karin

Archived