Is going from Seattle that bad?

woodmill100

I have read a few rumblings about passengers who prefer to sail from Vancouver as they found Seattle too rough. Is it really that bad? This will be our first cruise and one which we need to save long and hard for so don't want to get it wrong.

We definitely want to see Glacier Bay so decided on NCL but did like HAL from Vancouver. As we are coming from Scotland, we want to incorporate Las Vegas before the cruise so believe Seattle to be the easiest choice for flights but on the otherhand, we don't want to find ourselves ill if seas are rough.

Any tips would be appreciated - we are planning on June 08. How far is Vancouver from Las Vegas?

oooh, can anyone also tell me if NCL have naturists onboard for Alaska? Can't seem to find an answe to that.

Nope, they do have a "lecturer" which is little more than "textbook information". I have not been impressed with any of them. They did not know the areas of sailing, didn't know wildlife trends, and one had way too much downright wrong information.

I don't rely on ship naturalists, but I sure use them when I can. :) I'm fortunate to have a ready naturalist friend who has never steered me wrong.

I have read a few rumblings about passengers who prefer to sail from Vancouver as they found Seattle too rough. Is it really that bad? This will be our first cruise and one which we need to save long and hard for so don't want to get it wrong.

We definitely want to see Glacier Bay so decided on NCL but did like HAL from Vancouver. As we are coming from Scotland, we want to incorporate Las Vegas before the cruise so believe Seattle to be the easiest choice for flights but on the otherhand, we don't want to find ourselves ill if seas are rough.

Any tips would be appreciated - we are planning on June 08. How far is Vancouver from Las Vegas?

I can't answer your first question because this will be my first cruise to Alaska, and we're going out of Seattle. Hope it's not bad!

Regarding your question about Las Vegas, BOTH Seattle and Vancouver are FAR from Las Vegas. However Seattle would be not as far. Are you planning to drive or fly?

We have been to Alaska twice: Seattle-Seattle and Whittier-Vancouver. On both trips we encountered a little rocking but nothing that was devistating. We always take Bonine (start one tablet night before cruise, one every evening before going to bed throughout cruise) and we have never had a problem. Opt for a mid-ship cabin and not on the highest decks to avoid feeling the movement is you are real sensitive.

FYI, movement on the sea is always unpredictible. Be prepared for anything and don't let your mind think the worst or else, you won't be able to overcome your fears.

las vegas is on the southern tip of nevada, closer to southern california and the arizona border. but doable with the right flights.

going from seattle is beautiful, the views leaving the docks...cruising through the sound of puget..just lovely. watching the other cruise ships following us, the commercial ship traffic, watching the private boats..much fun.

by the time we were in open sea, if was dark...couldn't have seen anything any way. next morning we had islands on the west side of the ship (going north), just wonderful. we had a balcony on the port side...great for viewing of the glaciers.

the park rangers come aboard at glacier bay national park, they talk about the park and it's history. IF you want to stay on your balacony (if you get one) get it on the port side, that way what the rangers are talking about will be in your line of vision. they set up an exhibit, plus they are avaiable for questions...until they leave the ship about 2pm that day.

for sea sickness, take your meds...even on whale watching or any sight seeing on boats, you can get sick. we had 1 minor night of waves on the cruise ship, then rough seas on whale watch (juneau)..we were told to expect high seas around glacier bay, but we got lucky. from what i saw at juneau, choppy seas are happen any time, any where, much like the rain !! juneau would seem to be in protected waters, but it's still part of the ocean.

NCL is great for crusing that area, not having to hurry to dressup for a set dining hour, wow, i would have missed so many dinners. NCL is more like a regular restaurants, just go up and tell them how many are in your party, they seat you. plus so many dining venues!!! i got hooked on the chili at the little cafe, come back to ship..wet and chilled..got me a bowl of chili to warm up...wonderful!!

Thanks for your responses everyone. Think I am happy to stick with NCL.

It was the informal aspect of NCL that attracted us to them for Alaska. Don't ever want to be rushed out there so the thought of having to be ready at a specific time doesn't appeal!

We disembarked in Vancouver and drove to Seattle. Because we did not have a flight to catch, we were among the last ones off the ship. Then we had to wait in line to get a rental car and drive to Seattle. Which seemed like it took forever! Waiting at customs to cross over to the US was another long wait.

If we cruise again, I would either fly out of Vancouver or just do a round trip out of Seattle. Too much hassle the other way!

Yes, I did spot my typo but couldn't see how to amend it :o

Happy with roundtrip from Seattle and then we can fly to LV and then New York. I am surprised NCL don't allow and add on for New York as I am sure it would make them more money but I'll just need to give my business to Virgin!

I have been on 3 cruises out of Seattle ( goes on the West side of Vancouver Island) and 2 out of Vancouver (goes on the east side-calm seas and much more beautiful) I have encountered 20+ seas out of Seattle and at other times only 3-5 ft seas. In regards to the Naturalist, I have found them to be completely worthless. We had a "Naturalist" on the Oosterdamn last year from Vermont and she didn't even know the area we were cruising in. She denied that we went through the Straight of Juan De Fuca where we have always seen Orca whales. She gave a talk the first night on global warming- Gores' Science Fiction> and wasn't seen after that, even though the program said she would be in certain areas of the ship.

I be going on my fourth Alaska cruise in May... my first was round trip Seattle, second was Seward to Vancouver, third was Vancouver to Whittier... for my fourth trip I went back to Seattle round trip, more convenient, still get Glacier Bay and I have no plans for add on of Denali so it works well. I did not notice any major movement on any of my previous Alaska Cruises. Have fun with your tirp and seeing our beautiful country. If you have time rent a car in Vegas for a quick trip to the Grand Canyon... you can do it in a day for a quick view and well worth it!

:)

http://www.naturistsociety.com/

...er... perhaps... naturalists?

Gardyloo-You're bad! ;) And by that I mean the good type of bad.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Think I am happy to stick with NCL.

It was the informal aspect of NCL that attracted us to them for Alaska. Don't ever want to be rushed out there so the thought of having to be ready at a specific time doesn't appeal!

We've cruised Alaska 5 times, 2 of which were with NCL, and I agree with your reason for picking NCL. Freestyle isn't for everyone, but I sure enjoy eating when I'm hungry instead of when the clock says I'm hungry (and not wearing a noose is a big plus to me as well) :D

We will probably be on the Pearl in May '08

-Monte

Brilliant responses everyone. We have decided that we're going to book the Seattle roundtrip on 15 June 08 but take in Las Vegas first (we will be doing the grand canyon) then Seattle for 3 nights before boarding the ship and then afterwards, 4 nights in New York on the way home.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Brilliant responses everyone. We have decided that we're going to book the Seattle roundtrip on 15 June 08 but take in Las Vegas first (we will be doing the grand canyon) then Seattle for 3 nights before boarding the ship and then afterwards, 4 nights in New York on the way home.

Sounds like a fabulous trip! Have fun!! :D

My husband and I live in Mass and we'll be flying into Seattle and then taking a train to Vancouver. Taxis to and from hotels along with trollies. We'll then take an Alaskan cruise with HAL, another train in Skagway, a helicopter tour, a bus back from Vancouver to Seattle. I also think we may as well add a horse drawn carriage while we're in Skagway!:D

I spend a lot of time in NYC too- 3-4 trips/year. :) Another great city that I love- if you need any tips, feel free to email.

If you have time rent a car in Vegas for a quick trip to the Grand Canyon... you can do it in a day for a quick view and well worth it!

As I recall from a few summers ago - the drive from Las Vegas to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon was about 5 hours each way. You might want to give directions on how to get to a viewing area that's much closer to Las Vegas.

. If you have time rent a car in Vegas for a quick trip to the Grand Canyon... you can do it in a day for a quick view and well worth it!

A day trip??? It is at least 5 hours one way, to the South Rim and the whole point of going to the Grand Canyon, is to see it. In season, this is wall to wall people. I would definately overnight.

Are you instead thinking a Hoover Dam day trip, which is very doable?

My husband and I live in Mass and we'll be flying into Seattle and then taking a train to Vancouver. Taxis to and from hotels along with trollies. We'll then take an Alaskan cruise with HAL, another train in Skagway, a helicopter tour, a bus back from Vancouver to Seattle. I also think we may as well add a horse drawn carriage while we're in Skagway!:D

Sounds like us, two planes to Seattle, train to Vancouver, floatplane in Ketchikan, train & helicopter in Skagway, small whale watching boat in Juneau, train back to Seattle and 2 planes back to FL...phewww I think by the end of this "vacation" I'll need a little R&R :p

Woodmill,

Grand Canyon is beautiful! I know you'll enjoy it, especially if you have more than a few hours. The color changes are fantastic, and there's a brand new attraction if you're interested. A bit pricey, and perhaps scarey, but you'd be among the first to do it.

It's call "SkyWalk" and is an engineering wonder. You can find it by doing a Google search so you can see for yourself. I can't hardly wait to do it myself. There will probably be bus tours from Las Vegas by June if that's an option?

Enjoy your trip! (Seattle can't be THAT bad!!) LOL

Thanks for all of the help folks. Skywalk is may be something hubby will do - not me as I am terrified of heights. Might be persuaded to do the helicopter trip to the canyon though.

We've had to change our dates to May. June was working our to be about £2,000 more expensive than going in June and to be honest, we'd prefer to have that cash to spend on trips etc whilst we are away so we're now looking at Mid May with a view to boarding Pearl on 25 May.

I've DONE the Vegas to Grand Canyon and back in one day trip and I would never do it again. It is a long, boring, flat drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas. If you get to the Grand Canyon and it's all foggy, you're not even going to be able to see much, and then you have to turn around and drive that long,boring drive back. It really is too much for a one day trip! I strongly suggest staying overnight if you do that. Also, if you've never been to Vegas before, there's plenty to do right there.

Archived