How long can you stay onboard after your ship reaches it's home port?

We are taking an Alaskan cruise in June on the Serenade of the Seas and arrive back into Vancouver at 7:00 am. I just recieved my return flight arrangements and my departing flight doesn't take off until 3:00 pm.

My question is how long can you stay on board?

If we have to disembark fairly early, will I need to travel with our bags or can the bags go to the airport on their own seperate from my ground transportation? This is probably a question for my T/A

You have to be off fairly early to give them time to turn over the ship for the next week's passengers who, like you a week earlier, are anxious to board the ship as early in the day as possible. Often the cruiseline will offer a shore excursion (city tour or such) that will use up some of the time between when you disembark and when you have to be at the airport. Your luggage will be loaded onto the bus and will be dropped off at the airport at the end of your tour. Vancouver is a beautiful and wonderful city and a tour will give you a great overview and whet your appetite for a return visit.:):)

We weren't in a hurry to get off the ship a few cruises ago. By 9:30 or so they were making "last call" announcements attempting to get everyone off, but there was still quite a long line to disembark. By 9:45 or so we checked again and the line was down to one "wrap" around the centrum, so we got in line. I think we were almost the last off the ship at that time.

I think you will find that staying on the ship as long as possible is quite unpleasant. There will be little or no service--the staff is too busy getting ready for the next batch of cruisers to have any time for you! Everyone will be rushing, the public areas are packed, since you must leave your cabin by 8am. It's much nicer to get off the ship and be done with it, keeping all your good cruise memories intact!

Thanks for all replies. Doesn't look like I will get to sleep in that morning after all. :D

Nope, but I would recommend getting to the ship early for embarkation. I like getting on early and getting a feel for the ship. Depending on the port and time of year, you can put your swim suit in your carry-on luggage and head for the pool/bar!

Actually, we make a habit of trying to be nearly the last off any cruise...and we cruise about 6 times a year. As to the latest you can stay on-board, it really does vary depending on port, immigration, etc but usually we start feeling unwelcome by 10 or 10:30. As to the crowding and all that stuff, we wouldnt know since we avoid all those public areas on the last morning. We will often go to one of the upper deck bars, or the special room reserved for Diamond members and just relax. After everyone is off the ship we simply walk off, pick up our luggage which is very easy to find (all the other luggage is long gone) and go on our merry way. I do agree with the previous post about getting on the ship early. We like to get on most cruises around noon, grab some lunch, change into our swim suits (always in our carry-on) and relax at the pool (assuming decent weather) just like its a normal sea day. We usually head back to the cabin about an hour before the life boat drill (assuming its a late afternoon sailing), unpack, and than off to the drill. Our simple philosophy is to use the embarkation day as a real cruise day (they sure count it as a cruise day) as opposed to the "wander around deer in the headlight look" that is all too common.

Archived