Welcome Aboard party?

sharod

I will be sailing on the Freedom in April. This will be my first RCCL cruise and I can't wait!!!!

Having only cruised one time before, with DCL, I was wondering if RCCL has Welcome Aboard or Sail Away parties. Disney's Sail Away party was great, and I am hoping to experience the same thing Royal Caribbean style!!!!

The welcome aboard party or Captain's Party as it's called is usually on the first fromal night on the Royal Promenade. Free drinks and sometimes canapes for and hour or so during which the Captain gives his welcome speach. The sail-away party is usually on the pool deck but no free drinks. Bon Voyage!

I have heard that Disney has the best sail away but we always have fun on RCCL. I notice you are sailing on 4/22 there is a large group on the Roll Call board for Freedom check it out....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=280974

Also we have 56 people signed up for the Meet and Mingle Party you can sign up on the top off the page listed above...???? just post on the Freedom 4/22/07 board

i'll confirm this...we just got off the AOS last sunday and the welcome aboard party was the first formal nite between the 1st and 2nd dinner seatings...was taking a nappy so we did not go...we made up for it at the repeaters party...

I have heard that Disney has the best sail away but we always have fun on RCCL.

OP here:p . Yes, if DCL's sail away party doesn't get you pumped up, somebody better check you for a pulse:D !!!!

Thank you everyone for your responses, greatly appreciated:) . Looks like no sail away party like DCL's, but that's OK. We will be busy unpacking and exploring the Freedom. From pics that I have seen of the Freedom, I will probably stand in the prominade with my jaw hanging in awe of her beauty!!!! So for you folks that are sailing with me, that's how you can pick me out of the crowd:D . Just please do me the kindness of picking my jaw up, replacing it to it's correct position, and hand me a napkin to wipe up the drool;) .

OP here:p . Yes, if DCL's sail away party doesn't get you pumped up, somebody better check you for a pulse:D !!!!

Thank you everyone for your responses, greatly appreciated:) . Looks like no sail away party like DCL's, but that's OK. We will be busy unpacking and exploring the Freedom. From pics that I have seen of the Freedom, I will probably stand in the prominade with my jaw hanging in awe of her beauty!!!! So for you folks that are sailing with me, that's how you can pick me out of the crowd:D . Just please do me the kindness of picking my jaw up, replacing it to it's correct position, and hand me a napkin to wipe up the drool;) .

You will be definetly be bummed out on the Sail Away compared to Disneys. It is alot more sedate, people mostly doing there own thing. Chances are you wont be unpacking your clothes by sail away either, but we have been pleasently surprised a few times. One thing to think about is getting together with the folks on your roll call for sail away. You actually see alot more of them at sail away then at the M&M as some of the times the ship picks for those conflict with some great activities or invites aren't received.

Nope RCI's sailaway will not even begin to compare with Disney's. However, grab a good spot and your favorite drink and throw your own party. I' am always just happy to be starting my vacation.

Have a great cruise.

Nope RCI's sailaway will not even begin to compare with Disney's. However, grab a good spot and your favorite drink and throw your own party. I' am always just happy to be starting my vacation.

Exactly what I am planning on!!!! :)

Have a great cruise.

So what does Disney do that is so great? Just curious, I have no kids, so no plans to ever sail them.

Do they at least have drink specials? On the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera Cruise they had 2 for 1 Margaritas at the sail away, so 2 drinks for $5 was a nice way to start to cruise. They also had a Mariachi band to get you in the Mexican spirit.

It was just one big major party. They introduced all the cruise staff, gave out beads and necklaces. They had a live band with alot of group participation, they did a coutdown sort of thing . Dance lessons all rolled into one. all of the characters appeared and did the dances as well. It was fun. I was traveling with my mom and 8y/o DD it was great.

Don't get me wrong I love my RCI sail away's too. I am just happy to be going on a cruise. If you don't have kids you may not miss the action of disney, If you do , or are just a huge disney fan there is no comparison.

I wish every ship had fireworks at night like disney did they looked so pretty over the sea.

Do they at least have drink specials? On the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera Cruise they had 2 for 1 Margaritas at the sail away, so 2 drinks for $5 was a nice way to start to cruise. They also had a Mariachi band to get you in the Mexican spirit

I sure wish RCI offered theses specials. It would make my adults only sail away much more enjoyable.:D

...and the famous DCL horn just sends chills down my spine!!!:D I have been 3 times DCLCarnival 2 times, and 3 times RCI, and there is no comparison as far as the sail away party. DCL's is just so exciting and magical!!!

I do have children and would sail DCL without them in a minute!!!(kids wouldn't be happy about that) They cater to both adults and children. I enjoy sailing on RCI very much, and have two more booked with them. It's just a different experience, but enjoyable all the same.:)

The welcome aboard party or Captain's Party as it's called is usually on the first fromal night on the Royal Promenade. Free drinks and sometimes canapes for and hour or so during which the Captain gives his welcome speach. The sail-away party is usually on the pool deck but no free drinks. Bon Voyage!

1. What are canapes?

2. Is there a Captains party and a Welcome Back party? Free drinks @ both?

Archived