Iguazu from the Argentina side

S&B

If we go to Iguazu on the Argentina side of the falls how much do we get to see? We would be doing this pre-cruise. Do flights get cancelled sometimes returning to BA and we would not get on the ship? We are just now getting our flights arranged from the US to BA so we could have three or four nights in BA with one at the falls. I don't want the hassle of getting a visa for Brazil.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We were in Iguazu in late January on a postcruise package with HAL. We spent one day on the Brazilian side and one day on the Argentinian side. Personally I thought the Brazilian side of the falls were much more spectacular than the Argentinian side. They were taller and more awe-inspiring. There also seemed to be fewer crowds. Be sure to do the zodiac boat trip no matter which side you end up visiting. BTW, applying for the Brazilain visa directly through the embassy worked very well and the turn-around time seemed quicker than going through a commercial visa service.

Betty

I'm also interested in the response as to flight cancellations. we're planning to do a 1 day precruise from BA to the Falls. w'eve now heard + or - coments on both sides of the falls and we'll be satisfied with seeing the Brazil side from Ar.

For the last several months I have read the SA boards and now I am re-reading them. Dabear, are you going to do this on your own or are you using a tour company? I am thinking we could book our own flights from BA to the falls on the internet and book the Sheraton at the falls also but I do not know if this is wise or not.

..... we'll be satisfied with seeing the Brazil side from Ar.

dabear,

Would you like to see pictures I took from the plane?

Brazil has one circuit, it looks at the more panoramic view of a large chunk of the falls. Argentina has 5 circuits, we only had time/energy to walk 3 of them. You get up close, and from different angles.

We went to the Iguazu Falls from Rio in January, 2006 but stayed at the Sheraton on the Argentinian side for two nights. We did all the circuits on the Argentinian side in the morning and in the afternoon we were taken to the Brazilian side and did the one circuit there.

I loved both sides but if I had a choice, I would take the Argentinian side as there were so many different circuits to view the falls. Whatever you do, you are very fortunate in seeing one of Nature's greatest spectaculars.

With regard to flights in South America. We took 9 internal flights on that trip and I don't think any of them ran to time. We were held up at the airport in Iguazu (Foz do Iguacu) for 3 hours on our return as the plane arriving was late but we never had a cancelled plane.

The most reliable airline we flew with was Lan Chile but of course that doesn't fly to Iguazu. I believe the airline that we used from Rio (Varig) is now no longer flying. Both flights were above average on this airline.

Jennie

S & B: we are planning to book the flight, etc on our own. We are substantially independent travelers even tho we also take cruises. The guide books indicate that when you arrive at the park you can hire a private guide if you like. There are cabs at the airport and hotel. We may arrange a private guide to pick us up and return us to the Iguasu airport and tour the park and we already have a quote for this. Booking this independently of the cruise line will be about 1/2 their cost.

Tak2: I would love to see your pictures.

We did this in December, and booked everything online.

The flight from B.A. to Iguazu was 3 hours late on Aerolineas Argentinas.

Taxi drivers at Iguazu airport were lined up, so no problem there, but I verified the price before getting in.

The hotel called the taxi for the return to the airport, so no problem there.

The flight back to B.A. was 4 hours late.

So, in summary, everything worked out fine, for a fraction of the cost of the cruise line, but do leave plenty of time to get back to B.A. before your cruise (a day or two).

My flight from BA to Iguazu was 90 minutes late. The captain apologized at least three times during the flight, and compensated us by circling over the falls so both sides of the aircraft got excellent views.:D

Return was on time.

Our return flight to BA was about 6 hours late. The tour guide had us sitting in the lobby/bar area of the Sheraton for a good portion of the time and then they took us to town where we got some supper. Of course, we stopped off at a shop where the tour guide got a little "kick-back" on our way. We missed a tango show we had booked so it cost us more than just the airfare.

We just received our tickets for Iguazu falls today for our Feb. trip and booked them thru an agent. It was less expensive than doing it ourselves. We also booked our own Sheraton night and it is at least $100 more than what the agent can get for us. I will cancel our night as soon as the agents is confimed. So for us we saved money by using a private guide. We are using a guide recommended by our Private agent to take us from and to the airport in Iguazu and to give us a tour on the Argentine side.

I too anst over whether to get a visa for a couple of hours for the Brazil side and decided not too and will stay on the Argentine side. I am comfortable with that decision realizing what the falls look like from the Brazil side. I have seen the pictures of it.

Hope this helps.

Terpla,

Do you mind telling me who you used for an agent in BA? I had thought about doing it myself and have looked up the rates for the flights and the Sheraton. We would just be spending one night at the falls. Are you taking a morning flight to the falls and an afternoon flight back to BA?

We currently are going to fly on Wednesday night from the U.S. and arrive on Thursday a.m. and then have Friday and Saturday as full days in BA. If we go to the falls we will leave on Tuesday night. I doubt that we will ever get back to BA and I want to enjoy it. We are also spending two nights in Santiago. Did the agent suggest any place to leave your luggage while you are at the falls? I don't think we can take it all with us on the flight but maybe I am wrong.

We are now down to 10 months and counting. :D

Terpla,

I reread the "Must Do SHore Excursions" and found that you used Carlos. I found his website and will look into it. What kind of down payment were you required to give him? Thanks for your help.

Dabear I can't rate him yet but Aussie Gal has rated him very highly. "To my knowledge Private tours is not a bus tour. He may arrange a bus tour to certain places such as a Gaucho Ranch.

S&B there is no down payment for his tours of BA. You pay him at the dock in dollars or pesos. For the tickets to Iguazu we gave him permission to use our credit card and for the Sheraton we will send him a Moneygram when it is confirmed. As you read on the other thread we will go to the falls on the 19th. of Feb., return on the 20th. and then have 21 and 22 in BA and leave on the 23rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived