Mariner VS Carnival Glory

My DW just brought home a Cruise brochure from her job that has a Group cruise on Carnival Glory. Here are the specs for that Cruise Balcony Cabin $904.33 for a 7 day cruise on Carnival Glory. We last went on a cruise on Mariner of the Seas on 3/18/07 to 3/25/07 Looking at RCCL's rates it is $1249.99 for the equivelent cabin This cruise is scheduled for March 29th 2008 Out of Port Canaveral. The Carnival rate includes the taxes and such. I love Mariner as my review will attest but I would like input from Cruisers that have been on Carnival Glory. One of the things on Glory is a $100 per cabin Onboard credit. Mariner's cruise during that time departs on the 30th. Looking forward to hearing the good the bad and the ugly. This is my DW's work plan, I on the other hand love my Mariner. Please feel free to post anything at all on this.

:D

I've sailed both. VERY different ships! The Mariner is just magnificent, however, the Glory ranks right up there with one of our best cruises ever. I liked the promenade on the Glory, everything together and easy to get from one activity to the next. We had the best time at night on the Glory, the nightlife rocked. I didn't like the layout of parts of the ship, but have obviously gotten over that because I've sailed this class three times since. Carnival cabins are bigger, the rate is better, and you get your OBC. I'd definately give it a try!!! You may love it!

I've sailed both. VERY different ships! The Mariner is just magnificent, however, the Glory ranks right up there with one of our best cruises ever. I liked the promenade on the Glory, everything together and easy to get from one activity to the next. We had the best time at night on the Glory, the nightlife rocked. I didn't like the layout of parts of the ship, but have obviously gotten over that because I've sailed this class three times since. Carnival cabins are bigger, the rate is better, and you get your OBC. I'd definately give it a try!!! You may love it!

When the DW gets home I may have to talk to her about this. We have until April 16th to book something at this rate. I also have the future cruise program Booked on RCCL but I have 3 years to use that so I have plenty of options. I also have a contact at Carnival that I will pass this by and I will see what that comes up with. Thanks for the feedback it is exactly what I wanted.

I cruised on the Glory after she first came out. I have to be honest and say that the Conquest class of ships is my least favorite ship and I would not do it again. They are poorly designed and crowded in places like the promenade deck and around the pool area. This was also in September when most kids were in school. I could not imagine it during spring break.

I have photos of the Glory in my link below. Her theme is colors and believe me she is colorful.:) For me I would rather spend the extra money and cruise on the Mariner as I have been on the Navigator twice and the Conquest class ships cannot touch a Voyager class ship. As far as food both are about the same when all things are considered. I understand from reading on this board that RCI is introducing new menus for the dining room. Entertainment changes weekly with the exception of the Vegas style shows but overall I would again consider them even.

As far as room sizes go, someone asked this question about the same ships and I posted the following and you will see that there is not much difference in cabin size with the exception of inside cabins.

Carnival Glory 9A - 185 square feet for cabin and 85 square feet for balcony.

Carnival Glory Category 8A balcony - 185 square feet for cabin and 35 square feet for the balcony.

Mariner of the Seas Deluxe Balcony - 184 square feet for cabin and 46 square feet for balcony.

Mariner of the Seas Superior Balcony - 206 square feet for cabin and 42 square feet for balcony.

Carnival Glory Category 6A outside - 185 aquare feet

Carnival Glory Category 5A Porthole outside - 185 square feet

Mariner of the Seas Standard Stateroom - 161 square feet

Mariner of the Seas Large Oceanview - 211 Square feet

Mariner of the Seas Family Oceanview - 328 square feet.

Carnival Glory 4A inside - 185 square feet

Marnier of the Seas inside - 158 square feet

Mariner of the Seas Promenade View - 153 square feet.

Carnival Glory Category 11 Suite - 245-300 square feet for cabin(space depends on location) and 85 square feet for balcony.

Mariner of the Seas Junior Suite - 299 square feet and 65 square feet.

Carnival Glory Category 12 Penthouse Suite - 300 square feet for cabin and 115 square feet for balcony.

Mariner of the Seas Grand Suite - 390 square feet for cabin and 89 square feet for balcony.

Mariner of the Seas Owners Suite - 618 square feet for cabin and 118 square feet for balcony.

Royal Family Suite - 512 square feet for cabin and 208 square feet for balcony

Royal Suite - 1325 square feet for cabin and 248 square feet for balcony.

We had a group lined up to go on the Mariner and were flipped to the Glory by the agent. The Glory is a pretty ship, but we MADE sure we sailed on the Mariner the next year! For my money, the Mariner is the preferred ship.:)

Now this is a rather interesting idea. I will have to see what I can set up to get Glory switched to Mariner. If we can get the same rates I know what I would do.

Thanks for the input.

I cruised on the Glory after she first came out. I have to be honest and say that the Conquest class of ships is my least favorite ship and I would not do it again. They are poorly designed and crowded in places like the promenade deck and around the pool area. This was also in September when most kids were in school. I could not imagine it during spring break.

Carnival Glory 9A - 185 square feet for cabin and 85 square feet for balcony.

Carnival Glory Category 8A balcony - 185 square feet for cabin and 35 square feet for the balcony.

Mariner of the Seas Deluxe Balcony - 184 square feet for cabin and 46 square feet for balcony.

Mariner of the Seas Superior Balcony - 206 square feet for cabin and 42 square feet for balcony.

The cabin size comparisons are very good. I am correct in assuming that Glory is a Conquest class ship then? It is going to be interesting to see how this works out.

The cabin size comparisons are very good. I am correct in assuming that Glory is a Conquest class ship then? It is going to be interesting to see how this works out.

Yes she is a Conquest class ship and as you can see there is not much difference in the cabin sizes and as a matter of fact the cabins on the Voyager class ships are layed out much better too.

Sailed the Glory, and have to say that my kids had a GREAT time on her. So far it was the best cruise we have taken. We loved the ship. It did take some time to get used to the layout, but I think that it is like that on every new ship you travel on. Going on a smaller ship this time, and my kids are scared it won't be as fun. I of course know that you can't NOT have a great time while you are on a cruise. The food was great, the staff was SO much fun. My kids had a great time with our waiter Bence' and they always talk about that cruise the most. You will have a great time no matter what. The one preference I have with Carnival is that they always have great military rates since my husband is retired. I have always had excellent service with Carnival unlike many who say it is the party ship. I just can't beat the savings of almost $200-$300 pp when I book for 6 people. At times I have saved much more pp. It all depends on what you make of this experience. Have Fun!!

Sailed the Glory, and have to say that my kids had a GREAT time on her. So far it was the best cruise we have taken. We loved the ship. It did take some time to get used to the layout, but I think that it is like that on every new ship you travel on. Going on a smaller ship this time, and my kids are scared it won't be as fun. I of course know that you can't NOT have a great time while you are on a cruise. The food was great, the staff was SO much fun. My kids had a great time with our waiter Bence' and they always talk about that cruise the most. You will have a great time no matter what. The one preference I have with Carnival is that they always have great military rates since my husband is retired. I have always had excellent service with Carnival unlike many who say it is the party ship. I just can't beat the savings of almost $200-$300 pp when I book for 6 people. At times I have saved much more pp. It all depends on what you make of this experience. Have Fun!!

This is very informative I will have to call my contact at Carnival and he stated he can beat the group plan that my DW brought home. Now that is rather interesting.

Thanks for the input it's very good

If you look, I remember just the other day someone posted this same thread...comparing the two. I answered on that one and will do the same here.

Been on both. JMO, I don't think there's any comparison. The Mariner is in another class. I would pay the extra...Course, we would never go on that class again. We did the Liberty. The same class...not the same ship. But same layout and all. The Conquest is the worst layed out of all IMO. So congested in areas...have to go around to get where you want. NOT a nice flow!

Loved the Mariner! One of our favorite cruises. But you've been on her, so you know that. ;)

So basically, it's the lay out to me which is horrible. The eating area is congested...when you come out of the dining room....just seems like there's a wall wherever you go. Feels like there's more people on there because of this.

This is something many people think because you will read it from many. They complain about the layout.

This is not the best deal you'll find.

One of our other favorite cruises was the Caribbean Princess. We paid 650.00 pp, balcony cabin. (taxes and all included) Yes, it was in September, hurricane season...had wonderful weather!

Personally, I wouldn't want to go during Spring break on a cruise. What's good about Princess is that' they'll be less kids. There was a nice mix of ages, but did notice less kids. That ship had an awesome layout! Gorgeous ship, with so many wonderful clubs and places to hang out. They go to different ports that others don't go to which is also nice.

I would just really study the layout of any ship that you're thinking of going on. Looks at photos as well. I can also send you some to your home if we're allowed to post email addresses.

As far as cabin sizes on the Glory, I really don't see a huge difference in cabin sizes. Did feel it on the C. Princess though. They have a huge walk in closet which takes up a lot of space. I'd rather have a reg. one and a larger cabin. Love the Mariner cabins and bathrooms!

Didn't like the gym at all either on the Conquest class...very congested as well.

Depends on what's important to you.

Just do your homework and see if it would matter to you.

My husband and I are scheduled for Mariner on May 6th. Last year we took Glory because of the price difference. Now I am not an experienced cruiser (our up coming will be our third) but I have to say that I was not impressed with the Glory. Our first cruise was on Soverign and our cruise on Glory did not even compare. I am very excited to go on Mariner because it is so much newer and bigger than Soverign. I will probably never cruise with Carnival again. I am not a very picky traveler but we were so pleased with our first RCI cruise it just made the Glory not look so hot. I will let you guys know what I think after our trip on Mariner.

I have sailed on both the Sovereign and the Glory and I guess it just depends on what you want out of the cruise. We had a JS on SOS, and it was nice. We had a balcony on Glory. Glory was chopped up and had a different flow to it, but in no way was it hard or time consuming to get around. It is your vacation, and what you make of it, will determine how much fun you will have. You are getting two very good choices obviously, so you can't go wrong. Glory is a fantastic ship, especially if the fair is better than Mariner. I have to go on Mariner next to compare.

My husband and I are scheduled for Mariner on May 6th. Last year we took Glory because of the price difference. Now I am not an experienced cruiser (our up coming will be our third) but I have to say that I was not impressed with the Glory. Our first cruise was on Soverign and our cruise on Glory did not even compare. I am very excited to go on Mariner because it is so much newer and bigger than Soverign. I will probably never cruise with Carnival again. I am not a very picky traveler but we were so pleased with our first RCI cruise it just made the Glory not look so hot. I will let you guys know what I think after our trip on Mariner.

If you liked the Sovereign then you're going to LOVE the Mariner. The Voyager class is my favorite. I have to say though that the Sovereign is a great ship for those quick three and four day cruises.:)

We've sailed on Carnival Liberty which is the same calss ship as Carnival Glory. We have aslo sailed on Mariner of the Seas. I'd take Mariner hands down. I felt it was far more elegant, far more tastefully decorated.

There was more to do on board. The ship's public areas seemed less crowded. The Windjammer and Jade areas were better laid out, more spacious. The dining rooms were less crowded. The theater on Mariner is more comfortable and has more places with unobstructed views. Of course, there is the ice skating show and the Prominade parade.

The movie theater had a dedicated stadium seating room. I really didn't care for Liberty/Glory's outside top deck screen. The sound wasn't very good and there aren't alot of comfortable places to sit to watch a movie, plus you are in all that wind if the ship is moving.

Of course, each person has their own taste and preferences, so it makes it hard to advise another person. I can only say for myself and my Hubby that we both really prefer Mariner. We found it to be a beautiful, impressive ship.

I have sailed on both the Sovereign and the Glory and I guess it just depends on what you want out of the cruise. We had a JS on SOS, and it was nice. We had a balcony on Glory. Glory was chopped up and had a different flow to it, but in no way was it hard or time consuming to get around. It is your vacation, and what you make of it, will determine how much fun you will have. You are getting two very good choices obviously, so you can't go wrong. Glory is a fantastic ship, especially if the fair is better than Mariner. I have to go on Mariner next to compare.

Now this is good information I am also looking at the SOS for a 4 night cruise March 31st 2008 for my son's graduation reward. I am also looking for a Jr Suite because there will be 3 of us.

I have been on both ships, and although I loved my cruise on the Mariner, I agree totally with everything that you have said!:)

We sailed on the Glory in 2005. It was our 1st cruise and we booked the PH suite because the price difference between that and an OV on another line was negligible. As it was our 1st cruise, we didn't know what to expect but we really enjoyed ourselves, the priority boarding and the large room. Our next cruise was a RCCL balcony to Alaska and we then noticed the difference. RCCL had better food IMO, better kids program and more to do. The Glory was pretty but the decks were a little chopped up and we sometimes found ourselves turned around. Experienced the same on the Carnival Destiny.

Bottom line....the Glory is nice but IMO, RCCL beats them hands down!;)

We sailed on Mariner, Feb. '06 and on Glory just this last Feb. '07. They were our 10th and 11th cruises so we have cruised alot. I have always been partial to RCCL, but we really liked the Glory better.

I've sailed the Glory and the Mariner, I prefer the Mariner but I was not going to pay $300 per person more to cruise on her. I work for myself and only

close my shop Thanksgiving week, so this is when we cruise. I booked

early and got the Mariner for $713 per person on deck nine which was only

$50 more than the Glory was going to cost. You really need to consider your

ports of call, I wanted to go back to Labadee real bad, & my 19 year old

wanted to climb Dunn's River Falls, Going to Grand Caymanis always nice,

as is Cozumel. So getting the Mariner to me was the perfect fit. If destinations are similar or you like where the Glory is going you would not be disappointed with the Glory. We just really liked the Mariner.

Whatever you choose have fun!

Archived