Monarch vrs Carnival ship

mattR

I am probably booking a quick trip on the Monarch for Dec the other option is the Carnival (Paradise I think). I think the Monarch would be the best choice right? The one thing that concerns me is for a small ship they sure have a high max passanger number. Is this ship really crowded?

It has been 8 years since we have cruised with RCI. Do they have extra charge resturaunts? Is soda still free in the dining rooms? Do they have ship shape program where you can earn a t-shirt still?

I am probably booking a quick trip on the Monarch for Dec the other option is the Carnival (Paradise I think). I think the Monarch would be the best choice right? The one thing that concerns me is for a small ship they sure have a high max passanger number. Is this ship really crowded?

It has been 8 years since we have cruised with RCI. Do they have extra charge resturaunts? Is soda still free in the dining rooms? Do they have ship shape program where you can earn a t-shirt still?

I've been on both Monarch and Paradise for the 4 night cruises. Monarch could be or could not be the best choice for you, it comes down to what you want out of a cruise. They two ships are similar in size but offer different things and often time the Carnival sailing is alittle more expensive. Monarch has a rock climbing wall, but Paradise have a miniture golf course and a waterslide. They both have similar entertainment, however, Carnival have a more popular piano bar but Monarch is known for its dueling piano. The night club in Paradise have more of a night club feel while Monarch have the Quest game show. Theres the viking crown lounge on Monarch but Carnival have alot of nice sit down places along the promanade. The sushi is free on Paradise whereas theres a charge on Monarch. They both have a specialty coffee stand, but carnival offers more lounges. The crowd is about the same for both. The major difference between the ships is everything is close together on Paradise so less walking and Monarch have everything scattered through out the ship. The food, IMO, is alot better on carnival and Carnival serves lobster on every sailing. However, Monarch have a better lunch buffet. On a four night cruise you get to visit San Diego onboard the Monarch but on the Paradise you get to enjoy a day at sea. Carnival's more expensive baja sailing may be worth the extra cost since the state room is significantly larger than that on Monarch, on top of that, Carnival does offer a 2nd 4 night baja sailing that hit up Cabo onboard Elation out of San Diego. The state room on Carnival's Paradise seems to be alot larger than that of Monarch's more expensive Superior Ocean View cabins.... They both offer upgraded bedding and both are very limited on balcony stateroom and are all part of the JR Suites and Suites. Now, what I like about Paradise is the aft facing ocean view cabins whereas Monarch have no aft facing cabins. If you do go with Monarch, I would recommend the Superior Ocean View or higher categlory cabins. However, the view is some what obstructed with the Superior Ocean View, but at least you have a fridge and a safe.

You can check out a video I made of my last cruise onboard the Monarch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=313IyyUFFgs

In the end, it really comes down to your defination of better. Paradise is better than Monarch in some area while at the same time, Monarch is better than Paradise in other areas. It all comes down to what you are looking for.... BTW, the dining team on the Paradise is more strict on dress code in the dining room than the team on Monarch.

Archived