The Piano Bar is the best place to hang out...

Canne12

The piano bar is a fun place, Last time there was " name that tune" and stump the piano player. usually at the start of the evening the people are

a bit shy to sing but by the end everybody singing and laughing.I really

enjoy visiting the piano bar.

Always my favorite place to hang out at night but only if there is a good piano player which Hal has very few but that is my opinion. We just got off the Ryndam where we had Fritzie, not good. When she attempted to do Judy Garland's "Some Where Over the Rainbow" and also some Patsy Kline songs, she distroyed both those ladies fine works. The first time we ran into Cory, he made no effort to entertain until the last few nights, me's think he was looking for a tip, what do you think. After 18 cruises on Hal we have only ran into two good entertainers in the piano bar, one was Perry Grant who is over on Celebrity cruise lines now and the other (our personal favorite) JP Nadeau who is doing a 6 month contract on the Rotterdam. I'm very jealous of those lucky people who are doing Europe this season.

Funny how different people like different things.

I first saw Kory on the Noordam when it was introduced in Boston just before the inaugural. Being a Piano Bar girl from way back I stopped in "just for a minute" while I was leaving the ship. Before I knew got my fill it was almost midnight and I was running to catch the last bus back to Providence. :eek:

He was a big part of the reason I agreed to sail the Noordam the first time---three weeks later! I closed the place all 10 nights and was sorry that Piano Bars don't stay open 'til 2:00 AM anymore.

'course, there's no one will ever top Frank Gusto. He's the one who started it all for me on the ss Rotterdam. :)

"Never too busy to say hello".

Funny how different people like different things.

I first saw Kory on the Noordam when it was introduced in Boston just before the inaugural. Being a Piano Bar girl from way back I stopped in "just for a minute" while I was leaving the ship. Before I knew got my fill it was almost midnight and I was running to catch the last bus back to Providence. :eek:

We had never frequented the Piano Bar until we were on the Oosterdam in October 2005. Kory was the pianist. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law were with us, and they've loved the Piano Bars on RCI so insisted we try the one on the Oosterdam. Kory was soooooooooooo much fun! We stayed for a couple of hours, sitting right at the piano. Such a talented fellow. We thought he was fabulous. (Other's mileage may vary, of course.)

So we looked forward to trying the Piano Bar on the Zaandam last summer. We were disappointed that it was in a mostly open area, not really enclosed like the one on the Oosterdam. But we were even more disappointed when we heard the pianist sing. :eek: I'm sorry to say Romeo was not to our liking.

Wishing we could eke out the time to go on another cruise and listen to ANY pianist,

Robin

He was a big part of the reason I agreed to sail the Noordam the :D was sorry that Piano Bars don't stay open 'til 2:00 AM anymore.

Why is it that if there is a crowd they do not keep the party going??

Seems to me if pax are out spending money/drinks keep them there..:rolleyes:

On my last Noordam cruise the Piano Bar was always full and it just closed down when it could of kept going..

Bulldog

I closed the place all 10 nights and was sorry that Piano Bars don't stay open 'til 2:00 AM anymore.

Is there a specific set closing time now? The last time I was in a HAL Piano Bar was late 2004 and it was kept open until people lost interest or it got close to 2am.

I'm not sure who determines what time the Piano Bar closes - we were on the Maasdam in February and routinely closed it down around 2PM. It wasn't ever packed, but those sitting around the piano certainly did have a good time! We enjoyed Barrie Blythe, but he couldn't hold a candle to Randall Powell when we were on the Prinsendam - he was amazing! I'd heard Randall was back after a brief hiatus - can anybody confirm that?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

OMG, is she still around. She was on the Rotterdam last year when we did South America. She is definitely NOT my idea of entertainment. More like punishment.:rolleyes:

LOL, yes she is tjcox9 and she hasn't improved a bit. Kory, we ran into when he was very new to Hal, hopefully he has improved, he really wasn't all that bad, just put no effort in to his entertaining until the very end, like I said before. Is he still wearing his pants above his ankles?

As far as when the piano bar closes it's mostly up to the piano player but remember the staff has to get up early to work so really late hours are not fair to them, entertainers can sleep in late. We have been known to keep the bar going til the wee hours of 3 am.

Tjcox9 did you ever run into London Bobby?

to create long lasting cruise memories!

I keep catching myself humming the songs Kory played last week on The Noordam-

Favorite songs I haven't thought about in decades!!! LOL

Me too!! I started listening to my Frank Sinatra cd's again after we got home!! Kory was so tremendous...so talented and a REAL person!! We'll never forget him! I sure hope we run into him again on another HAL ship...especially since we know what his favorite drink is!!:D

One of our favorite spots on the Noordam was the piano bar. We really enjoyed Kory from the first night to the last. One of the things I really appreciated about him was that even during his breaks, he would walk around and talk to everyone. I thought that was a nice touch.

We have his CDs and have enjoyed listening to them since returning home. Brings back pleasant memories of our cruise. We hope to see him again when we cruise on HAL.:D

Archived