Constellation does NOT have a dress code

AngelaC

We just got off the Constellation on Friday and were very disappointed about the lack of enforcement of the dress code in any of the restaurants. Several nights a man seated at the table next to us in the main dining room wore some type of screen printed t-shirt probably with jeans. I could not tell as he was already seated. On one formal night, his "jacket" happened to be a zippered hoodie over another screen printed t-shirt. On the last night, a woman at another table next to us wore shorts. We had reservations for Ocean Liners twice and noticed that men were there with just polo shirts and slacks. Even the seaside grill was not left out. There was a man there wearing nothing but a bathing suit -- no shoes, no shirt. We asked the wait staff about this and they just shook their heads. Our comment card made reference to the fact that if that was the kind of atmosphere we were looking for in a cruise, we would have sailed on a much cheaper cruise line.

There always seems to be some exceptions...but we all know this is hardly the norm on this line.

So how was the cruise? We had a great time a few weeks ago, we came back happy with all kinds of good things to report. Did you have a good time, or are you just venting about less favorable things we kind of already know....

We just got off the Constellation on Friday and were very disappointed about the lack of enforcement of the dress code in any of the restaurants. Several nights a man seated at the table next to us in the main dining room wore some type of screen printed t-shirt probably with jeans. I could not tell as he was already seated. On one formal night, his "jacket" happened to be a zippered hoodie over another screen printed t-shirt.

We saw the same thing on a Carib. cruise a couple of years ago. Turns out their luggage had been lost and they were wearing what they had. Luggage didn't turn up until day 5 of the cruise................

We just got off the Constellation on Friday and were very disappointed about the lack of enforcement of the dress code in any of the restaurants. Several nights a man seated at the table next to us in the main dining room wore some type of screen printed t-shirt probably with jeans. I could not tell as he was already seated. On one formal night, his "jacket" happened to be a zippered hoodie over another screen printed t-shirt.

We saw the same thing on a Carib. cruise a couple of years ago. Turns out their luggage had been lost and they were wearing what they had. Luggage didn't turn up until day 5 of the cruise................

Same here, had a very nice couple in the table next to us whose luggage was lost. They had a great time and did the best they could with what they had and what was provided. He was a very large man and it was difficult for them to find things on the ship to replace his clothes. I'm sure there were comments from people who did not know the situation....

We just got off the Constellation on Friday and were very disappointed about the lack of enforcement of the dress code in any of the restaurants. .
Constellation does NOT have a dress code

There is a dress code. Celebrity just has not bothered to tell its long-time cruisers of the changes. Get used to it :(

Sure it does not "ruin" a cruise but it sure means that =X= is not as concerned about it's "upscale" image as it used to be.

Boy do I agree! On our last Galaxy cruise a few weeks ago a man came into the dining room on an "informal" night dressed in shorts. We noticed the complete lack of cooperation with what the dailies said and now it says "required". While it is understandable that some lost luggage occurs, no way were half of the men dressed in t=-shirts and jeans missing luggage when their wives or significant others were dressed appropriately.

I also agree that "X" had better adhere to their own policies about a lot of things or they will become just another cruise line with those looking for a little "upscale" going elsewhere.

So many were dressed appropriately that those who weren't really stood out. Someone on these ships has to be able to enforce whatever guidelines the cruise line sets out. It seems that across the board something is happening and we do hope it doesn't change drastically. We loved that they now have "casual dining" but on many of our cruises that area doesn't seem as busy as those dressed down in the main dining room.

Oh well, won't ruin my cruise but it has become very noticeable of late. We'll still follow the rules and see what happens. I wonder, can anyone tell us if these things are happening on the European or Med cruises? It seems that those who travel in Europe and beyond dress differently. Just curious!

We have found that every cruise has it's own individual atmosphere. On transatlantic crossings, the dress code is adhered. We didn't see anyone not dressing for that particular evenings attire.

Even on Hawaii cruises, where you do spend most of your days in shorts and casual wear...there weren't many people that really didn't follow the required dress code.

I would like to see Celebrity uphold their policy, and enforce the dress code. Maybe if this was done consistantly, then new passengers, and even past passengers would automatically know that this particular cruiseline does have a more formal dress code, and they wouldn't be inclined to breech the policy.

If your not happy with the lack of policy, then use your guest reply forms, that are given out at the end of your cruise. The really is the only way that Celebrity will be aware of the passenger's concerns.

Karyn

I would like to see Celebrity uphold their policy, and enforce the dress code. Maybe if this was done consistantly, then new passengers, and even past passengers would automatically know that this particular cruiseline does have a more formal dress code, and they wouldn't be inclined to breech the policy.

Karyn

I don't think that is going to happen. They are not going to enforce a dress code. The reason there are more reports all the time of passengers dressing other than the requested dress is that it the requested dress does not coincide with the way a significant and growing number of Celebrity customers desire to dress. The most likely outcome is not more enforcement but a future elimination of dress up evenings. And in a couple of years Celebrity is going to need to fill the cabins on two new over 100,000 ton ships. They are not going to narrow their customer base by enforcing a strict dress code.

On similar threads in the past, some cruisers have noted that no one likes to enforce the dress code for fear of receiving negative comments on the evaluation forms. I wonder if it would do any good to mention your feelings to your Asst Maitre d with the request that some action be taken. Perhaps if we all start to apply pressure directly to the Maitre d staff it may help getting the code enforced. After all, we can make negative comments about their failure to do their job as easily as violators can comment on their enforcement.

Susan

Why do people complain here? If there's a problem then write Celebrity's CEO personally and demand that the dress code be enforced. Yelling about it here accomplishes zip!

I have written letters with comments both pro and con directly to Celebrity. I also have used the comment forms and have mentioned our concerns to Maitre'd's but obviously to no avail.

I imagine many more Celebrity customers are happy with the way it is and even if they aren't don't mention it.

You are right about the Hawaii cruises. We did this on Summit last March and everyone adhered to the dreaded "dress code". I guess you win some and you loose some. I just hope the next thing isn't "free style dining".

Pat C

One reason that we would downgrade Celebrity in choosing future cruises.. is the (IMHO_:rolleyes: ) charade of formal nights.

Having said that , jeans and t -shirts are inappropriate , and it's a sign of the downmarketing times that Celebrity are tolerating or maybe encoraging the cheapening of the experience.

Princess also seems to be spiralling downward seeking load volume first and forsaking quality as the price of a full ship.

A further thought... maybe the transgressors were accupying the owners suite ...

I don't think that is going to happen. They are not going to enforce a dress code. The reason there are more reports all the time of passengers dressing other than the requested dress is that it the requested dress does not coincide with the way a significant and growing number of Celebrity customers desire to dress. The most likely outcome is not more enforcement but a future elimination of dress up evenings. And in a couple of years Celebrity is going to need to fill the cabins on two new over 100,000 ton ships. They are not going to narrow their customer base by enforcing a strict dress code.

I sure hope thats not the case since its one of the primary reasons I sail with them. I think the itineraries do have a lot to do with it, but frankly it is the passengers disrespect for the dress code. A shame every blames Celebrity, and not direct it towards the violators. There are cruise lines that cater to a more casual experience and that's perhaps better suited to those that don't want to adhere.

Hi Pat and John,

Ed and I agree that the way the ships are not enforcing the dress code is sad. This is the first I have heard that Celebrity is getting so lax. We are gong to a meet and greet with Celebrity Reps at our Travel Agency Apr.24th. I wiil definatly bring this up. We enjoy dressing up each night as we don't do it to often at home. We are going on HAL in Nov. and I thing it will be the same way.

In our Hawaii Cruise everyone really dressed and it was great.

Ed and Ann

Our next cruise is on Celebrity and our last was on Regent.

Their dress code was strictley enforced and I never saw anyone not in the requested dress code for the evening.

The dress code was for the night , not just dinner.

The point is that a dress code can be enforced if the cruise line chooses to do so...

Celebrity does not have a dress code. Look at the FAQ on their website. It says on informal nights, people are requested to dress a certain way and on formal nights may prefer to wear suits and evening gowns. Celebrity, like most cruiselines, have suggestions on how to dress but nobdy is required to dress a certain way. They don't enforce it because there is nothing to enforce.

I sure hope thats not the case since its one of the primary reasons I sail with them. I think the itineraries do have a lot to do with it, but frankly it is the passengers disrespect for the dress code. A shame every blames Celebrity, and not direct it towards the violators. There are cruise lines that cater to a more casual experience and that's perhaps better suited to those that don't want to adhere.

The violators are customers. Celebrity despite what some might think from it's marketing, which is just that marketing, is a mainstream, mass market cruise line with the same demographic, competeing for the same customers as NCL, Carnival, Princess, HAL and Royal Caribbean. If the mainstream, which includes the Celebrity customer, wants a more casual experience, then Celebrity will bend to what the customer wants. If they try to dictate dress they will lose customers.

Our next cruise is on Celebrity and our last was on Regent.

Their dress code was strictley enforced and I never saw anyone not in the requested dress code for the evening.

The dress code was for the night , not just dinner.

The point is that a dress code can be enforced if the cruise line chooses to do so...

Regent is a niche Luxury cruise line. They can dictate dress since they are not filling cabins on massive mega ships.

Celebrity does not have a dress code. Look at the FAQ on their website. It says on informal nights, people are requested to dress a certain way and on formal nights may prefer to wear suits and evening gowns. Celebrity, like most cruiselines, have suggestions on how to dress but nobdy is required to dress a certain way. They don't enforce it because there is nothing to enforce.

Not exactly true....Will tell you its a far cry from RCCL....now that's where anything goes! This is much different for sure.

They do have a dress code. Read the link below on their web site. It even says dress code. And also no jeans allowed after 6.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000jyXAhRP_JltLZ3gB6WL5NIG:1051tg34t?pagename=proper_dining_attire

While I have been commenting on why it is not enforced and why I think it won't be enforced on Celebrity, I personally respect it and think all the passengers should respect it, until they change it. I just don't think it will be enforced like many here would like because Celebrity has large ships and they have to fill them from the mass market.

Archived