How Many Bottles of Wine are we allowed to bring onboard

bigjohn42

Hello, By chance does anyone know how many bottles of wine we are allowed to bring on board, there is going to be 3 parties of two = 6 of us drinking the wine at the same table. I was going to bring a full case:o, will there be a problem?, Please let me know and Thanks, John

I think its a bit like, "How long is a length of string" :D

On the Statendam last year at one stage we had 2 1/2 doz bottles stashed around our cabin. However, we were on board for 5 weeks :eek:

I think the funniest for me was when the "Old girl" climbed back on board in Ketchikan with a six pack of wine, lol, the look on the security officer and the crew on the security was really very funny. Just happens this "Old girl" really loves good NZ Sauvignon Blanc and it was really quite cheap at Safeways in Ketchikan, in fact the wonderful lady assistant even gave me a Safeways card for a further 10% off :D

Have a great cruise and enjoy your wine :)

Hey Folks thanks for the input, i just bought a wine tote carrier that holds a cool dozen, really looking forward to our cruise on 8-25-2007 on the Oosterdam from Seattle, first time on HAL, Heard lots of great things abouth the ship

We brought on three cases for six adults on our Alaska cruise on the Veendam. The wine store packed the wine in boxes for us. We attached the HAL luggage tags and it went on the ship with our luggage. It was waiting for us in our cabin with the rest of our luggage. Have fun on your cruise!

Just got back from a girls cruise on the Oosterdam last month. We had an amazing time. Too much fun! We checked in at the Pier and checked our luggage and hopped a cab to Cost Plus and bought 28 bottles of wine. We figured one bottle per person per day (What? We ARE on vacation:D ). We carried these bottles on board in six packs. You can just imagine the attention this got as we worked our way through security, up the gang way and into our cabins. We actually had people asking us during the week how the wine consumption was going. Good way to meet people. What fun.

Bring as much as you want. Enjoy!! Wendy

I have already "mapquested" the closest wine shop to the port in Seattle, and will email them to have my selection waiting for me when we pull up in the taxi from the airport.

This will go into my extra carry on bag I am bringing along, and off we go up the gangplank!

I am doing a mix of 6 bottles of various reds for six evenings at dinner, and 3 bottles of my favorite "bubbly"...for sailaways of course! :D

Cheers! :)

What is the average price of the bottle of wine ( I am not talking rare vintage, just some basic Mondavi zin, for example) on a HAL ship? We are sailing to Alaska 0n 6/2/07, and I am trying to decide, should we pack wine with us ro just go with the Zuiderdam's wine selection and prices.

I have already "mapquested" the closest wine shop to the port in Seattle, and will email them to have my selection waiting for me when we pull up in the taxi from the airport.:)

Which one are you going to? There's one on the way from the airport to the pier called Esquin (www.esquin.com), they have an awesome selection and very fair prices. Just in case you needed a suggestion! :D

Which one are you going to? There's one on the way from the airport to the pier called Esquin (www.esquin.com), they have an awesome selection and very fair prices. Just in case you needed a suggestion! :D

That's the one!! :D

They already emailed me back and said I can send in my request at anytime.

I think it is only a mile away from the port?

Thanks! and

That's the one!! :D I think it is only a mile away from the port?

Yep, just a stone's throw. I think maybe 5 blocks. I can spend HOURS in there poking around; it's nothing fancy, kind of a warehouse-type set-up, but the selection is amazing and their pricing is hard to beat anywhere.

So you're just planning on packing it in a carry-on bag? I'm looking around for a cheap rolling luggage cart (trying Craigslist first), that way I can stack 2 cases, bungee them to the cart, and wheel them up the gangplank! I've carried lots of wine onboard in the past and it can get a little heavy on the shoulder after awhile!

Just curious: what's your favorite "bubbly"?!?!

Yep, just a stone's throw. I think maybe 5 blocks. I can spend HOURS in there poking around; it's nothing fancy, kind of a warehouse-type set-up, but the selection is amazing and their pricing is hard to beat anywhere.

So you're just planning on packing it in a carry-on bag? I'm looking around for a cheap rolling luggage cart (trying Craigslist first), that way I can stack 2 cases, bungee them to the cart, and wheel them up the gangplank! I've carried lots of wine onboard in the past and it can get a little heavy on the shoulder after awhile!

I wish I had time to poke around in there. Sounds like a fabulous shop!

Alas, our flight is coming in the same day as the cruise, (slave driver boss won't give me Friday off), and we will only have time to make a quick stop before boarding the ship. Hoping our flight is on time...luggage makes it...etc.

Of course it is all a bit too close for comfort.... :eek:

I have a wine bag with strap/handle with cushioned individual sections (left over from my old wine days) that has a sling on it that will fit over my rolling carry on, as a double decker style. The extra bubbly will go in an additional carry bag that will be slung over my shoulder. I got used to "shlepping" bottles around when I worked as a wine rep.

My favorite bubbly? It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, as I am not a fan of really dry champagne, and prefer the extra dry (wierd way they term it, but is actually a tad sweeter than brut). It is Moet's Nectar Imperial.

Love that stuff. But then again...you can't beat Dom!! :D

Hi Dana, Here is some info I have on this piece, I bought it on Ebay, thru Paramount Liquidation Center, they have a store you can buy from, i Paid 24.95 plus 17.00 shipping for a total of 41.95, any other questions just let me know, thanks, John

This Brand New High Quality Bag Carrier Trolley is designed to safely accomodate 12 Bottles of Wine. Features include padded interior and compartment divider with extra insulation material, self locking handle extends 38" from the ground, rubber wheels and balancing feet at base. Made of black canvas, polyester lining and PVC backing. It comes also with two large side and one front pockets.

Dimensions: 17" H, 15" W. and 12.5" D.

wtroley.jpg.9be2928d937e8e4e07c1e561675a8863.jpg

My dream job...!!!:D

Never been treated to it... perhaps I need to CREATE the excuse?!?!? ;)

We had a bottle for our wedding. But for the price (about a third the price) I still like their little brother, the Nectar Imperial. Great sailaway wine...can't wait!! :D

Yes - you can take a bottle of your own wine to dinner. You may be charged a corkage fee of $15.00 for each one. This is a HAL policy.

We had not done this until our trip just last week on the Zuiderdam. We typically bring along a few bottles of wine and champagne for sailaway and in-room consumption. We had 2 bottles of a nice wine left over and took them with us to dinner for our two tables on our last evening.

Ding, (our wine steward who was a very pleasant guy and always had our Cosmos waiting!), did not charge us a corkage fee. Perhaps this is because all week many of us (a group of 12) purchased an assortment of wine and cocktails each night?!

Ding, (our wine steward who was a very pleasant guy and always had our Cosmos waiting!), did not charge us a corkage fee.

I've found on all the cruises I've been on that if you make nicey-nice -- and have FUN --- with your cabin steward/waiter/wine steward right from the get-go, you'll always reap rewards, such as reduced or waived corkage fees, faster service, etc. Those folks have to deal with demanding and often disrespectful pax all the time, so when they encounter people who engage them and make them laugh and are genuinely there to enjoy life, they usually always respond accordingly with little perks.

The old "catching more flies with honey" approach WORKS!!!

I like bringing my own wine for dinner because I am not fond of the offerings on the ship, plus the way over average upcharge :eek:

I happily pay the 15.00 corkage for having a wine I really love and means something to me. I usually bring wines from areas and wineries I have visited, so it is part of the vacation and memories they bring along with them.

On most cruises, we have been charged for the first night or two, and then nothing after that.

We also love that sailaway wine!

Archived