Main or Late Dining?

We are booked on a Western caribbean cruise with our two teens (16 and 15 yrs old)

On our last 2 cruises we had main seating and it was fine tho a little rushed some days in port....

the kids are now older, does anyone have experience with 16 years olds and dining preference...main or late now that they are older?

Thanks

T

We are booked on a Western caribbean cruise with our two teens (16 and 15 yrs old)

On our last 2 cruises we had main seating and it was fine tho a little rushed some days in port....

the kids are now older, does anyone have experience with 16 years olds and dining preference...main or late now that they are older?

Thanks

T

Late seating for sure. My kids are 12 & 14 and have been going to the late seating since they were 8 and 10. It really makes things easier as you never need to rush to get back to dinner. It seems that the kids sleep in later and stay up later on the ship. Also, food is always available if anyone gets hungry before our seating.

Just got back from a DCL cruise about two weeks ago. My DD (11 yrs old) enjoyed the late seating as we had lots of time in ports. She also had another 11 yr old, a 12 yr old and a 9 yr old at our table. When we do a main seating it is too rused in ports.

With teens I would say late seating. We felt so rushed to get ready for dinner by 6pm on the western itinerary. Plus, I much rather be dressed and ready and get pictures and have a drink or two before you get bloated with food. :D 6pm formal night is a killer after being at the Cayman's all day. It was rush rush rush to be ready by 5:30pm to go down and get pictures before dinner. Cozumel you are usually in port until 7pm and early dinner is 6:30pm and late is 9pm just to give you an idea.

Also, your teens may want to just eat at the windjammer some nights and you would kick yourself getting early seating if that was the case.

I have also heard (but can't confirm this) that late seating the waiters are much more relaxed. Less kids, no worrying about getting everyone in and out for another seating...

If you do decide early dining, go and do a specialty dinner (I recommend Chops) the night you are in Cozumel. That is what we did and it worked great. We had reservations for 8pm.

Hope this helps!

Out of 11 cruises, only two of them have been early seating and we regretted it both times. We have taken our kids on 8 of those cruises (they are now teens, but started cruising at 6 and 9 years old) and they have always preferred the later seating as well.

It's a myth that there are fewer children at the later seating, we're always surrounded by children at dinner.

We are also cruising w/2 teens...13 & 16 & have late seating booked. My only concern was them missing out on some activities in the teen club. We never eat at home before 7 or 7:30 so the time isn't a problem & I could just see us all stressed out trying to rush around & get ready by 6 for dinner!

I am 23, and have cruised since I was 15. I have always had early seating, and enjoy it because it gives you the rest of the night free. I don't think I could wait till 8:30 to eat dinner. It really is personal preference, but I just wanted to give a different perspective.

As another poster said I would ask the kids what their priorities are. We tried late seating once with my kids and won't do it again. The were so itchy to get out of the dining room (which they loved going to) to get to the kids/teens activities. Even with early seating there are times that they left early so they could get back to the cabin and change before hitting their evening activities. With the teens stuff does start a litle later but it usually is underway by 9 or 9:30. If they aren't interested in going or don't mind going late go for the late seating. If they want to be involved in the teen activities I would stick with early.

We choose depending on the itinerary. We're going on a Pacific Northwest in a couple of weeks and we'll go to early seating. We know we won't be at a beach all day and tired from sunning & swimming, etc. We choose late seating for all our Caribbean cruises tho.

We've noticed that we eat more when we opt for late seating.... we get too hungry and end up snacking from somewhere on the ship a few hours before. Never have been hungry for the midnight buffets when we had late dining tho!

Archived