Radiance Questions

We are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas repositioning cruise from SD to Vancouver next month. It looks like any alcohol consumed will have to be consumed in the bars and at RC's prices. Therefore it becomes important to know just how outrageous these prices are. What does it cost for a domestic beer? For a rye and ginger? Has anyone sailed lately and knows this? Are the prices actually posted in the bars or since it all goes on your Seapass do you find out as a nasty surprise at the end of your trip?

Also my wife was planning to bring a mini-iron. It seems this is banned (for safety reasons... yeah sure......not to round up laundry business) Has anyone taken an iron and had it confiscated? What's the deal?

Another question. Our dinner seating is 6 pm, the exact same time as departure. If we want to be onboard to see the sights as we depart San Diego it would appear we have to dine elesewhere that night. Has anybody ever encountered this conflict in your travels? What if you show up 20 minutes late in the dininng room?

Thanks in advance.

We are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas repositioning cruise from SD to Vancouver next month. It looks like any alcohol consumed will have to be consumed in the bars and at RC's prices. Therefore it becomes important to know just how outrageous these prices are. What does it cost for a domestic beer? For a rye and ginger? Has anyone sailed lately and knows this? Are the prices actually posted in the bars or since it all goes on your Seapass do you find out as a nasty surprise at the end of your trip? You get a receipt when you purchase the drinks so there is no nasty surprises. The prices were cheaper than the bars at home, we drink vodka gimlets and they were 5$ each plus they add an automatic 15% gratuity on. I was just on the Brilliance a couple of weeks ago. You can also keep track of your seapass account on the TV, it should be available the Radiance.

Also my wife was planning to bring a mini-iron. It seems this is banned (for safety reasons... yeah sure......not to round up laundry business) Has anyone taken an iron and had it confiscated? What's the deal? Irons are BANNED, not a way to round up laundry business but for safety reasons. If they discover it, it will be confiscated and returned the last night. The pressing fees are half of the cost of dry cleaning and very reasonable.

Another question. Our dinner seating is 6 pm, the exact same time as departure. If we want to be onboard to see the sights as we depart San Diego it would appear we have to dine elesewhere that night. Has anybody ever encountered this conflict in your travels? What if you show up 20 minutes late in the dininng room? If departure is at 6 then Muster drill will be around 5:30 and in our experience they have pushed back the first nights dinner to later to accommodate the sailaway .

We are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas repositioning cruise from SD to Vancouver next month. It looks like any alcohol consumed will have to be consumed in the bars and at RC's prices. Therefore it becomes important to know just how outrageous these prices are. What does it cost for a domestic beer? For a rye and ginger? Has anyone sailed lately and knows this? Are the prices actually posted in the bars or since it all goes on your Seapass do you find out as a nasty surprise at the end of your trip?

Also my wife was planning to bring a mini-iron. It seems this is banned (for safety reasons... yeah sure......not to round up laundry business) Has anyone taken an iron and had it confiscated? What's the deal?

Another question. Our dinner seating is 6 pm, the exact same time as departure. If we want to be onboard to see the sights as we depart San Diego it would appear we have to dine elesewhere that night. Has anybody ever encountered this conflict in your travels? What if you show up 20 minutes late in the dininng room?

Thanks in advance.

I can answer some of your questions. All irons are banned because they are considered a fire hazzard. You are allowed to bring a steamer. Recently, they have been confiscating all irons which they can see as the luggage goes through the scanners. If an iron is spotted in your luggage, it it put in a seperate room, and you will be notified to come down and collect it, and remove the iron.

Sail away often occurs during the first dinner seating. It is your choice as to whether or not to stay topside and view the sights or dine in the dining room for early seating. It is strongly suggested that you not come late to dinner. The wait team will usually wait until everyone is seated before serving the entire table. So, you will have the entire table waiting for you to arrive before they can begin to place their orders. If you really want to see the sights during sail away, and you know that you will be very late for dinner, you may want to dine that evening in the Windjammer or in one of the specialty restaurants. It is considered polite to let your dining room wait staff know whenever you will not be dining there.

We sailed the Radiance the beginning of March. We found the drink prices to be very reasonable. Typical cocktail around $5.95, glass of wine $6.50. Not too bad in my book.

Irons are NOT allowed...period. Take along the Downey Wrinkle Reducer or use the ships pressing service, the fees are not that bad.

Try and be on time to dinner each night. They tend to wait on you so that the whole table is together and so if you are late, that can leave the other tablemates not too happy. We didn't have this problem as all 12 of us were there sharply at 6:00. Made for a delightful dining experience. Have fun!

I think the irons are a fire hazard like the others say. You can bring a steamer we did, but never used it.

On Navigator the first night dinner was pushed back 30min for 1st seating and 15 min for 2nd. We got to see sail away.

We didn't think the drinks were that outragous at all. About $5 plus tip which is pretty normal here in Boston too, so we were fine with the prices. Some of the specialty drinks were a lot more nothing normal, or Drink of the day.

Have fun

Don't be late to dinner--there's no reason to be late, and it's extremely rude!

Drink prices are better on the ship than at most bars on land. It depends how much you drink as to how surprised you will be at the end of your cruise!! You can check your account daily, if you wish.

Irons--a hot topic!!!! LOL In the past, there was nothing written prohibiting you bringing your own travel iron. The cruise brochure and docs simply stated that irons were not provided. Now, I understand they do have written regulations, but I haven't actually seen them myself. The folks on CC get really bent out of shape over this--I don't see how a curling iron or electric rollers, or heating pads are any less dangerous than irons. But, you won't really need one. Iron before you leave home, pack wrinkle-able clothes in dry-cleaning bags, and you won't have a problem. Once you are in the Caribbean humidity, ironing is a waste of time, anyway! EVERYTHING will wrinkle after about 5 minutes, anyway!

The prices we have paid for drinks while on our cruises have in fact been less than what we have paid while having dinner at a nice restaurant. We have no issues with the prices charged.

If your clothes being wrinkled is a concern pick up a clothes steamer they work just fine.

my I also point out the the bartenders pour great drinks---they are not cheap with the liquor----and as all have said they're cheaper than any hotel or nice restaurant----the drink of the day was $5.95 plus tip on our last cruise

PAul

Thanks in advance.

Howdy neighbour...Also from Halifax... We are also on the Radiance but we are on it next week ( a week from Saturday from San Diego to Hawaii). What cabin are you in? Is there anything you want me to have a look at for you?

Kim

Hi there! One thing I would be interested in if you are sailing from San Diego is the boarding time. Our docs stress don't get there before 3 for the 6 pm departure, but of course everyone here says get there much earlier. Would like to hear about your experience since it is the same departure port and ship. Also how they handle it if your departure coincides with the 6 pm dinner seating. Some people say they have delayed dinner at times. I would think whatever happens on your trip would also happen on ours.

Interested too in what they do with the luggage. Do you surrender it at check-in in an unlocked state or do they only ask you to unlock it if a scan shows contraband.

One other thing you may already know. When reboarding the ship at a port do you only need your seapass or do you also need photo id?

When do you return? We are leaving May 10. Hope you have a great trip and will be looking for your posts before we leave.

bring your seapass and a photo id when you leave the ship, bring a credit card too in case something causes you to miss the ship.

Don't bring an iron.

drinks on board aren't priced so high, but if you bring small bottles you could smuggle on a little something for your cabin. They do not post the drink prices but you can ask.

I never lock my luggage, I keep my valuables with me when boarding.

I'd stop by the table after muster to tell the waiter you'll be absent that night but you'll be there the next. That way they don't give your seats to someone else and you've been polite.

Enjoy.

The Radiance next Saturday is finishing a canal cruise in San Diego so she'll get in early and the boarding time should be what you'd expect in any port. (11:00 - 12:00)

In San Diego when the Jones Act is involved, like a one way from Hawaii or Seattle, the passengers must get off in Ensenada, MX and take a bus to S.D.. This makes for later boarding times in S.D. since the ship won't arrive until early afternoon. On the bright side the cabins are always ready! ;)

We're always told to take a photo I.D., but have never be asked for it when reboarding the ship. It's a very good idea to have it with you. On our last trip our balcony neighbors never returned to the ship. They had a scooter accident. Having an I.D. other than the ship's probably helped. The ship packed there belongings and delivered them to the hospital. They where flown back to the States for medical care. One to San Antonio and the other to San Diego. We hope they've recovered. P.S. - Never rental a scooter or moped! :(

Depending on whether the ship arrived on time, you can usually count on being able to board by noon here, but cabins are not usually available until after 1pm. They always have a buffet lunch available in the Windjammer from 11:30.

Carry your valuables and medicines with you in your carry on and do not bother to lock your luggage. And lastly, do not understand why an iron would be need for such a short cruise; if anything is wrinkled, turn the shower on hot water, hang wrinkled clothes on the line and close the bathroom door for an hour poof wrinkles are gone:)

Hi there! One thing I would be interested in if you are sailing from San Diego is the boarding time. Our docs stress don't get there before 3 for the 6 pm departure, but of course everyone here says get there much earlier. Would like to hear about your experience since it is the same departure port and ship. Also how they handle it if your departure coincides with the 6 pm dinner seating. Some people say they have delayed dinner at times. I would think whatever happens on your trip would also happen on ours.

Interested too in what they do with the luggage. Do you surrender it at check-in in an unlocked state or do they only ask you to unlock it if a scan shows contraband.

One other thing you may already know. When reboarding the ship at a port do you only need your seapass or do you also need photo id?

When do you return? We are leaving May 10. Hope you have a great trip and will be looking for your posts before we leave.

Are you leaving Canada on the 10th? I know we don't get back to San Diego till the 12th of May.

Laura

I presume you mean that you are sailing on the Radiance into San Diego? We are travelling to SD on the 10th but the ship doesn't depart until the 12th at 6 pm. If you are getting in that morning (what time by the way?) is that the normal turnaround time? Do they usually leave the same day that they return?

I presume you mean that you are sailing on the Radiance into San Diego? We are travelling to SD on the 10th but the ship doesn't depart until the 12th at 6 pm. If you are getting in that morning (what time by the way?) is that the normal turnaround time? Do they usually leave the same day that they return?

We get in to San Diego at 07:00am on May 12th. Yes they leave the same day they get in to port.

Maplemoose,

First there is on Iron ban on all cruise lines. It is a hazard, we bring a travel steamer and it works just fine.

We have never smuggled on alcohol, and have found the price of "booze" on a ship to not be horrid. Our last seven day cruise with tipping the proper amount and drinking as much as we wanted was less than 500.00.

You are sailing on IMHO one of the most beautiful ships I have ever cruised on. I wanted to bring home the Solarium.

Maplemoose,

You may want to check out Radiance May 12th sailing thread on the RCCL "meet and mingle" board. We have over 1000 posts and the thread is over 50 pages long. Just 3 weeks till we cruise. Can't wait:D

Anne

OK, how do I find it? I clicked on all the links I saw with meet and mingle but I obviously wasn't looking in the right place!

OK, how do I find it? I clicked on all the links I saw with meet and mingle but I obviously wasn't looking in the right place!

Here you go.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=345369&page=51

I will post from the ship to answer your questions. You will be getting on the day we get off. You will recognize me...I will be the one wailing and hanging on to the rail:eek:

What part of Halifax are you from. I live in Lake Echo.

kim

Here you go.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=345369&page=51

I will post from the ship to answer your questions. You will be getting on the day we get off. You will recognize me...I will be the one wailing and hanging on to the rail:eek:

What part of Halifax are you from. I live in Lake Echo.

kim

Hi Kim. I am from Clayton Park. Please don't spend your precious online Internet time posting answers to me! It will cause you more wailing when you get your bill! I know how expensive it is!

The link you included is about someone going to China! I'm not sure what your intention was.

One more quick question now. I posted this previously but did not get any replies. I was under the impression that you could take soft drinks on to the ship when first boarding without having them confiscated like booze. In fact this was confirmed by an RCCL rep at at a travel show recently. However, a recent poll on this board implied otherwise. Should I pick up my 2L coke bottles on the way to the ship or not? Thanks.

Hi Kim. I am from Clayton Park. Please don't spend your precious online Internet time posting answers to me! It will cause you more wailing when you get your bill! I know how expensive it is!

This is not a problem. We will be getting the cyber cabin kit so it is a one time charge unlimited ( dial up but it works fine)

The link you included is about someone going to China! I'm not sure what your intention was. This is the last page of your meet and mingle board. It just happens that the first post on the page was from a guy who is also planning a trip to China. If you click on page 1 you will get to the beginning.

One more quick question now. I posted this previously but did not get any replies. I was under the impression that you could take soft drinks on to the ship when first boarding without having them confiscated like booze. In fact this was confirmed by an RCCL rep at at a travel show recently. However, a recent poll on this board implied otherwise. Should I pick up my 2L coke bottles on the way to the ship or not? Thanks.

We have alway brought soft drinks on in our carryon and it has never been a problem. I think as ling as the seal is unbroken they will be fine.

Archived