Laundry question

Shir Hayam

DH and I will be doing a 10 night Galaxy cruise this June. We will then be driving from Civitavecchia to Venice where we will spend 5 nights. I'm trying to figure out the easiest, cheapest way to get laundry done at some point. I know the prices onboard for washing/cleaning are very high. Then we will be staying in a fancy hotel in Venice (courtesy of Starwood points), so there won't be any bargains there. Any suggestions from those of you who have done extended vacations in Europe would be much appreciated.

Sheila

I haven't found the laundry services to be high priced at all. You'd pay tons more at any hotel. I don't know if there are laundromats in Europe as I've never looked for one in all my trips there, but I don't know if you'd want to spend time washing clothes. You can hand wash dainties, but for other things, I've always used the ship's laundry.

I don't know if its available on every ship but on the Constellation last week they offered as many items as you could fit into a paper bag washed and pressed for $20. We managed 27 items and were very pleased but our cabin steward told us some people had managed 50! We thought it was a great deal.

Julie

Below is a link to the prices for laundry, I think you will find that they are not very high at all. They are very comparable to what I pay at home.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=00002j8FwVmjGi7wiYBanXC-rS4:1028etni0?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=566&pagename=faq_answers

My wife and I were in Venice 3 years ago, and we were able to find a nice little coin operated laundromat near one of the markets. Very convenient and reasonable. I'm sure you will be able to find one while exploring.

John

My wife and I were in Venice 3 years ago, and we were able to find a nice little coin operated laundromat near one of the markets. Very convenient and reasonable. I'm sure you will be able to find one while exploring.

John

OK, this is not helpful, but now I have a mental picture of someone exploring the side streets of Venice with their laundry bag in tow!:D Sort of like taking the clothes for an outing.

Lisa

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never run into any "bag" specials, but, then again, I've never really looked for them. I would prefer to get any critical laundry done before Venice if it's at all reasonably priced. But it's good to know that coin laundries exist in Venice - just in case.

Sheila

We spent 2 months on a land trip throughout Europe several years ago, and found laundromats everywhere. Just ask your hotel, and I'm sure they'll direct you to one.

As mentioned, the ship's laundry costs aren't all that outrageous. And if budget is a factor, then wash out things at night in your sink, such as underwear, socks, and blouses/shirts. Unless you spill something on your slacks/shorts/skirt, you can get several days wear from each item. Bring along some darker colors or items that don't show dirt as easily as white or light colors. Your dilema may be as easy to solve as choosing well when packing.

Mary

OK, this is not helpful, but now I have a mental picture of someone exploring the side streets of Venice with their laundry bag in tow!:D Sort of like taking the clothes for an outing.

Lisa

Another suggestion that many of us do is to have the clothes pressed or cleaned on board the ship instead of at home. This way it does not get messed up in transit.

Archived