How about every one offering 1 tip to fellow cruisers

john kaz

Who doesn't love to shop. Buy some items on the islands. I've boughten some of the best sandals to bikinis, on the islands. Best part, next summer, when your wearing them, and someone asks, "Hey, love you sandals, where did you get them?" You say, "Oh, on my cruise, I think there from Jamaica, or did I buy them in Grand Caymen." Not to be duplicated, Like from K-Mart or JC Penney.

Same goes for jewelry!!!!
Just have fun and have patience for some of the long lines you will endure. You'll have a few, Just MMOOOOOO, gets everyone laughing.

[quote name='Codfish']Take the time to meet your fellow CCr's on the roll call board and on the ship. There are some really nice people here. At worst you'll meet a freindly face to say hi to as you pass each other on the ship, at best you'll make friends for life.[/QUOTE]

Our group of CC members that went took the time to meet the others from our roll call ..... very cool ppl .... makes you feel like you are cruising w/ one big family .... am I right Shannon and Tina? back me up here ..... lol .... and it is also fun to see one of them duct taped to a chair ....LMAO .... Happy Cruisin' .....

Beth

• 11 months later...

I agree with the tip about bringing a good attitude. That should be #1. We took a pop-up laundry hamper on our last cruise and it was great. No trying to keep up with dirty clothes - they were all together. Also, along with an electrical strip, take a small nightlight especially if you have an inside room They get really dark. And if you have a digital camera, don't forget to bring a plug-in charger for those rechargeabel batteries or plenty of regular batteries.

Packing: If you are part of a couple, pack one outfit for each category in the other person's suitcase. example: daytime casual- shorts & t-shirt plus a swim suit; night time casual outfit including undies and shoes, one formal outfit including shoes and hand bag if possible and his tux shirt or dress shirt & tie, etc. Usually, if luggage gets lost it is only one piece. You would still have "some" clothes to get by with until your bag is found in most cases. Also pack dress clothes with plastic dry cleaner bags and on hangers. This really saves wrinkles and time.

Always put medications, camera, jewelry, documents and valuables; money & cc's in your carry-on.

I agree with the power strip, over-door hangar, night light and travel alarm clock. All are essential. Bring something to mark your door, so it's easy to find when you're sleepy. The doors really do all look alike :) Don't bring a ton of clothes. This is about relaxation and enjoying yourself. You can always buy another tshirt if you really need one, and it'll be memorable because it'll be one you got in an exotic location. Don't stress about anything. You're already doing better than 99.9999% of the human population when you're on a cruise ship - enjoy it while you have it :)

Remember that you will never see the people on the ship again so do things you would not do at home in front of co workers or your kids or your parents etc.. In other words let it all hang out. and have FUN.

:D That's what DH thought on our last cruise with RCCL. He really jumped into the Quest game and by the time it was over he had his shirt off, my bra, shoes and lipstick on and was carrying my purse. On the last evening they were showing the video of the cruise that was for sale and there he was on the big screen for all to see (and take home to show). Now this is a guy who is really conservative and would normally let it all hang out like that. However he'd had so much fun that he didn't even mind. I was amazed.

Go with a good attitude, and you'll probably have a great time...

I couldn't agree more! It seems that so many people go with unreasonable expectations.:eek: Pack your best attitude, and plan on having a great time. You might be surprised how well this works!:cool:

Take a small backpack. (Mine's a Kelty model, lot's of zippers and a soft lined pocket for the digital camera) As the father (see ATM) I am the designated "can you carry this for me dad" guy and I have the following in it (and have used all of them in 11 cruises)

* flashlight (Maglite AAA model works for years)

* small first aid kit (saved the day in Playa Mia Beach)

* generic Zantac saved us many times

* a small Mp3 player (with Jimmy Buffett... "It's 5 o' Clock Somewhere") :D

* pocket digital camera/ second battery and memory card

* small bills (versus the large ones that come after the girls shop)

* 60 minute LD calling cards for cabin steward and waiter

* a cheap disposable poncho for all cruisers (Cayman Island savior!)

* a Partagas cigar in a metal tube (sit near Fat Tuesdays in Cozumel, smoke slowly while your wife spends your bonus. Better therapy than a entire roll of bubble wrap) ;)

* a collection of what sounds good from the other people above

Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride.

Lee in Houston

Bring Lysol wipes and wipe down all the door knobs, phone, etc.

If your ship has shower curtains, bring a chip clip or clothespin to weigh it down so you don't have the "mummy wrap".

Don't overbook yourself with full day excursions every day - leave some time to just relax by the pool.

Have a little knowledge of alternative islands - such as if you're doing Western, do a little research on the other islands which aren't in your itinerary in case you get diverted. At least you'll have a game plan if you end up in Progresso instead of Costa Maya!

Don't miss the opening night show! A good CD will set the tone for the cruise and you'll be on the inside from the get-go.

OK oK This may not be a cruise tip, but it is a tip for fellow cruisers, well there young kids that is. Teach your kids early to like the Red Sox. Why you may ask. Because this way, they will never get use to (or probably see a World Series win in their life time) they will not ever know what it feels like to win a World Series, so they will never miss it. Now, do not get me wrong, I am a Sox fan from CT. Does it not get old to win, and win, and win. And you can always book a cruise in mid October without having to worry about missing your team in the World Series....

Okay, I realize somehow this thread got resurrected from the dead yesterday somehow, but you got to admit - this is pretty funny in light of their success last year. My Brother and nephews are and have been HUGE Sox fans forever and I was pretty happy for them. Good thing we booked our cruise with them in Jan - no worry now!

Take some Zip strips. I put them on suitcases or whatever you can. That would let you know if someone is snooping in bags. Never found it to be the case.

If you do that, make sure you have some scissors or a pen knife (and not of course packed in the bag with the zip strip seal)! I sealed mine and went back to my cabin late at night the first night - and no way to open the suitcase! Had to run up to the Pursar's to borrow some scissors, run down and cut, then run back up again to return the scissors, and back down ... I felt kinda stupid.

If you do that, make sure you have some scissors or a pen knife (and not of course packed in the bag with the zip strip seal)! I sealed mine and went back to my cabin late at night the first night - and no way to open the suitcase! Had to run up to the Pursar's to borrow some scissors, run down and cut, then run back up again to return the scissors, and back down ... I felt kinda stupid.

I put my nail clippers in an outside pocket of the suitcase. You're right, I came *real* close to packing them too. I bought these things for my luggage, I liked them a lot:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod1034829&CATID=100500&skuid=sku1034819&V=G&ec=frgl_813893

They looked a little neater than zip-ties, and I felt they were even less likely to be tampered with as at first glance they kinda look like a lock. I got mine at Target and think they were cheaper.

Pack your underwear in freezer bags....that way if they need to open your luggage for some reason....they won't hold your underwear up for everyone to see.

Put a piece of paper or a card in all pieces of luggage with name , address, phone number, and destination. That way, if luggage tags come off, they can open and see who it belongs to.

We take a medium size suitcase and pack it. Then we place it inside a larger suitcase . That way, we have an extra suitcase for souveniors for our trip home.

NOT TRUE :) On our very first cruise we saw two people we knew from work. One was my husbands old boss and the other a co-worker (works in a BIG factory) We had NO IDEA that they were going on the cruise too.

You aren't joking on this one. When my dh and I got married our honeymoon plans got changed b/c a hurricane went through the Keys and the houseboat we rented was badly damaged, so we had to cancel. We made new plans for the Orlando area. We visited Kennedy Space Center one of the days there and saw 4 people there from our very small town. We got married in January and this was in the middle of the week, too. We were so surprised. From that day on, we always keep on the "lookout" just in case, but still have a great time when we go on vacation.

Archived