RCCL Way Back When

I cruised twice on RCCL as a kid and can't recall the names of the ships we sailed on. Hoping for some help.

The first was out of Miami to San Juan, St. Thomas and Nassau in 1982 I believe.

The second was out of New York to Bermuda in 1990.

Any thoughts??

We did New York to Bermuda twice - 1985 and 1987 - both times on Nordic Prince. We did Eastern Caribbean in 1983 (our first cruise) on Song of America which was about a year old at the time.

Hope this helps.

For those of you fondly remembering Song of America, we were on a TA on Brilliance last November and in Funchal, Madeira, we were tied up with the old Song of America. She is now called Thomson Destiny of Thomson Lines(UK) doing Mediterranean and Madeira/Canary Island cruises. She still has the Viking Lounge in the funnel, the only one of the older RCCL ships that was allowed to retain the trademark after being sold. It was further nostalgic because our friends on board Brilliance OTS had made cruises on Song of America.:)

Could have been the Song of Norway, Nordic Prince or the Sun Viking. Those were the three original ships that started the company.

I still have a Song of Norway sweatshirt that my parents bought for me on one of their cruises. They sailed on Song of America too.

They would sail quite a bit on Holland America back in the 80's as well, but I think Royal Caribbean was one of their favorites.

Song of America was my first cruise when it was an almost brand new ship. What a great cruise that was! I actually won a little trophy for skeet shooting off the back deck of the ship.....can you imaging shooting a rifle on a ship these days?!!

I wish I could remember but we did a New Years Eve cruise on the Nordic Prince 12/1883 and we did the Caribbean. The next year 12/1984 we did the New years eve cruise on the Song of Norway. One of these was to the eastern and one was to the western. Whichever we missed the Bahamas for the second time.

RCI was much classier even if very glitzy. We had a great time on both.

Those tiny cabins were designed so you would spend your time out and about. We stopped cruising for a few years because DH had trouble with the food. We think it was when sulfites were being heavily used as preservatives.

For those of you fondly remembering Song of America, we were on a TA on Brilliance last November and in Funchal, Madeira, we were tied up with the old Song of America. She is now called Thomson Destiny of Thomson Lines(UK) doing Mediterranean and Madeira/Canary Island cruises. She still has the Viking Lounge in the funnel, the only one of the older RCCL ships that was allowed to retain the trademark after being sold. It was further nostalgic because our friends on board Brilliance OTS had made cruises on Song of America.:)

Actually the Sun Viking still has her Viking Crown lounge intact. She now sails as the Omar III for Asia Cruises. Very different look with the black hull but very nice interiors.

http://www.asiacruiser.com/eng/home/index.htm

My first cruise was out of Miami on the Song of America in 1981. My whole family went it was for my high School graduation(dating myself). We did the Bahamas,St. Thomas, Puerto Rico. It was grand in those days. Got me hooked on travel and cruising. Never forget my Dad and Grandfather on lobster night eating three tails!! Our waiter just kept them coming.

Good times!:)

Our first cruise was the Nordic Prince.............what a great ship and at the time we thought.........how nice, how beautiful..........and it was a great ship.........

Thanks for asking and bringing back some great memories.:)

My first cruise was on the Song of Norway out of San Jaun in 88. I still have the golf shirt (it may not fit now) and when we sailed on the Rhapsody last year we met the same Captain at the meet and greet.

Our first cruise was on the Sun Viking out of Vancouver for an Alaskan inside passage cruise in July of 1991. We thought it was so grand.:) Just look at how the ships have grown since then!

Nostalgia for this one too; she now sails as Island Escape for Island Cruises(UK) and spent part of this past winter doing coastal Brazil cruises.

We sailed on Stardancer when she still had car decks; we drove from San Diego leisurely up to Seattle and Vancouver where we spent a few days. Drove the car down to Ballantyne pier, right on to Stardancer and cruised back to LA stopping at San Francisco and Catalina. Soon thereafter the ship was drydocked here in San Diego where a Viking Lounge was added aft of the funnel, the car decks were removed and replaced with cabins and extra public rooms to take care of the added capacity. She emerged as Viking Serenade having been bought by RCCL and for several years made the 3 and 4day schedule now sailed by Monarch OTS:)

Archived