Oman and Nautica

Jancruz

We reached Oman this morning and we are going out covered from head to toe as requested even in the 97 degree heat!!

I am sitting on the computer in the library where all the furniture is being replaced..this is the most amazing cruise line..I personally thought the library looked great..but I will describe the new furniture when I return..

Also this library is so well stocked with new books..I am catching up on all my reading..the authors and best sellers on board are perfect..

I just love this trip and if I could do it again ..I would do it in a minute..

more later..I will go shopping and let you all know what I purchase..

Jan

Hi Jan,

Wish I was there, will be on an Oceania cruise in September. Our first Oceania, and we're really looking forward to it. I was wondering when was the last time that the Insignia was updated? Is it due a drydock? Please keep us posted on your trip and enjoy.

We were at sea all day today after and extremely hot and humid day in Oman yesterday..I will let Jack tell you about the city, I will talk about what I do best..shopping!!

In Salalah there is only one really good thing to buy and that is perfume..get your nose ready for lots of new smells of some really nice perfume..other than that I found everything else to have been made in India or China..so do your big shopping elsewhere..

We got off the ship about 10:00am and took a shuttle from the ship to the gate of the port where there were MANY taxis..Stu, who is great at negotiating got us a taxi with another couple for $40 round trip which we thought was a fair price..we got into his "new car" and found out he would not use the air conditioning and then as we neared the city the driver said it was $40 round trip if we were only there one hour..every hour or fraction after that was $20..needless to say when we got to the souk (shopping area) Stu paid the driver $20 and told him thanks but dont wait!!

Interesting how the souk is set up..1 street has tailor shops, 1 street has barber shops, 1 street perfume shops etc. so you have many shops selling the same thing (same price) in a row..

Dinner last night was in Polo and it was wonderful as usual..had the shimp cocktail, wedge salad and an unbelieveably wonderful filet..New on the menu is whole steamed lobster and I have really enjoyed that..

we will be sailing for 3 more days..so I will try to be back tomorrow..

Jan

Muscat is a marvelous vacation escape if you take advantage of the brand-new luxury hotels outside town, 3 of them all in a row in an area called Shangri-La. The new highway leads out of downtown to the hotels which perch on a gentle sloping hillside and you walk thru magnificent lobbies down to the white sandy beach area where you will enjoy bright sun and clear - yes, clear! - blue skies.

I enjoyed lunch on the outside patio at the Al Bustan Palace and it is one of my great souvenirs of my Nautica cruise last December. Cantaloupe and prosciutto, date ice cream with hot espresso poured over it in a brandy snifter.

I was caught completely by surprise by Muscat. My intention had been to stay on the ship because, after difficult tours in Egypt, I didn't want to be dragged thru another tired, dirty, old country. Muscat was the complete opposite of Egypt and a delightful surprise.

Several of the Nautica passengers took a downtown tour and came back to the ship disappointed. The tour buses dropped them off and said they would come back 4 hours later. There wasn't 4 hours worth of looky-loos to justify that tour. But outside of downtown, all homes and buildings are whitewashed, not just the one fronting the main streets as in other countries and there are huge, beautiful mosques to be seen.

If you have the pleasure of sailing out of Muscat at twilight, you will enjoy viewing the centures'-old forts on the hillsides which are lighted by large, multi-coloured spotlights.

I was disappointed in the hazy, unclean air in Dubai which is a city constantly under construction. Muscat was a fresh, well-run, safe city and I highly recommend it.

Ruby

Today (second day at sea out of four) we are having an old fashioned county fair on board..we each got $10 (with the Captains picture on it) and we can try to run it up on the games as high as we can to see who wins grand prize..there will be old fashioned booths on the deckfor us to play games and it sounds really like fun..it is from 4:30 to 5:30 today ..I will report in after it is over!!

The new furniture is in the library and it is quite interesting..the tables on each side are gone and in their place 4 comfy leather lounge chairs with footstools..I am in the library now and they are all taken and look great..maybe that will stop some people on board from putting their feet up on the couches..that is so tacky IMHO..

Jan

I failed to mention in my post re Oman that we were in Muscat, not Salalah.

Aussie Gal, I don't really think that answers your question to SagaRuby, who is a very interesting tablemate, etc. We had several conversations during that great 25 night trip on Nautica.

Saga Ruby,How far from Salalah would Muscat be and how long does it take to be driven there. It sounds a much better idea to there than to spend the time in Salalah with nothing much to do.

Jennie

Jennie, Oman is shaped like the state of California flipped over. Muscat is on the north end and Salalah is on the south end, as San Francisco is to Los Angeles. The city of Salalah is 1000 km from Muscat and would not be a day trip in any way.

Last summer I spoke online with a very hospitable professor of Engineering at Salalah College of Technology who was kind enough to tell me these facts. He also said that Salalah is "famous for its natural greenery year round." I tried to talk to him later but the email adddress would not work.

Enjoy Oman - I certainly did.

Ruby

Well the County Fair yesterday was wonderful..all kinds of fun games..including one where 2 lines of people sitting in chairs facing each other were feeding each other blue whipped cream..and of course they were blindfolded..all games were adorable..fishing in the Jacuzzi (for points) Wolfgang the chef had you blindfolded and tasting little pieces of fruit and you had to identify them..there was identifying the smells of thyme,cumin,cinammon etc..beat the dealer where the dealer spun the roulette wheel and whatever number his ball landed on you had to beat..(mine was eay, he landed on 3) darts for points..and many more..prizes were bottles of champagne and the Grand Prize was a bottle of champagne, dinner with the Captain and a free cruise..............................brochure..

Ray had us all laughing~~

This morning a fabulous bruch in the dining room..I had waffles.

We are still in the Red Sea and the weather is very HOT and HUMID..but seas are calm and cruising is wonderful..I am again in the library and it is full of people reading and working on the daily puzzles..

Off to a lecture now..FYI the beginning bridge class has over 60 people and they all love the teacher..

More tomorrow!

Jan

I was disappointed in the hazy, unclean air in Dubai which is a city constantly under construction. Muscat was a fresh, well-run, safe city and I highly recommend it.

Ruby

But we had a nice lunch down by the Creek!!! Hi Saga Ruby, I was just checking in to read Jan's report of her stopover in Oman, noticed your post and couldn't resist the read....You are so well researched and informative about the places you visit and I whole heartedly agree with your views on Muscat and Oman. The new Shangri-La complex is beautiful and after trying it out one weekend last month I can highly recommend it too:) ....JAF

Archived