Pp Credit When Upgrading At Pier???

We booked an oceanview cabin at the last minute. We leave in less than 2 weeks. We're hoping a balcony or JS becomes available. If this does happen and if we are lucky enough to switch categories at the pier, do we get our past passenger credit?

JMO, but I don't think they would deduct balcony credit from the upgrade prices. It is a fixed, per cabin reduced price if the upgrade is available. It has been such a long time that I have heard about anyone even being able to upgrade at the pier. Maybe someone else knows differently. It is an interesting question. :)

We booked an oceanview cabin at the last minute. We leave in less than 2 weeks. We're hoping a balcony or JS becomes available. If this does happen and if we are lucky enough to switch categories at the pier, do we get our past passenger credit?

I am interpreting your question to mean:

You booked an OV, and you don't get your balcony discount unless it's a balcony cabin.

If you can upgrade at the pier, will they take an additional $100 off the "posted upgrade price"?

Is that a correct interpretation?

I can't give you an answer from personal experience, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they do not. :)

I am interpreting your question to mean:

You booked an OV, and you don't get your balcony discount unless it's a balcony cabin.

If you can upgrade at the pier, will they take an additional $100 off the "posted upgrade price"?

Is that a correct interpretation?

I can't give you an answer from personal experience, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they do not. :)

Yep, right on, that was my experience. They also will not give you an extra cruise credit if you upgrade to a suite at the pier.

Yep, right on, that was my experience. They also will not give you an extra cruise credit if you upgrade to a suite at the pier.
Mike, that was always a really interesting question.

Some posters HAVE reported getting the extra cruise credit! (Even when it was a COMPLIMENTARY upgrade.)

Oh, and just to keep your hopes up. When I sailed Explorer last Sept, there were upgrades available at check-in. Sadly, the highest cabin available was a Junior which I was already in so I don't have a lot more useful information for you.

Mike, that was always a really interesting question.

Some posters HAVE reported getting the extra cruise credit! (Even when it was a COMPLIMENTARY upgrade.)

I got 2 cruise credits when I was upgraded to a JS. We booked a guarantee and got a JS.

We upgraded on the ship once on Enchantment of the Seas, to go from an oceanview to a JS. The Pursar's desk wouldn't talk to us about an upgrade until the ship had sailed (just in case anyone boarded late?). They offered us a key to go look at the JS, and we then paid full fare for the upgrade.

This was a March cruise, and there were quite a few empty cabins. This was the only cruise that we've been on that didn't have the Pursar sign up that the ship was full and no upgrades were available. If you're interested in an upgrade, check with your TA and see what can be done ahead of time and how many vacancies there are on the ship.

We upgraded on the ship once on Enchantment of the Seas, to go from an oceanview to a JS. The Pursar's desk wouldn't talk to us about an upgrade until the ship had sailed (just in case anyone boarded late?). They offered us a key to go look at the JS, and we then paid full fare for the upgrade.

This was a March cruise, and there were quite a few empty cabins. This was the only cruise that we've been on that didn't have the Pursar sign up that the ship was full and no upgrades were available. If you're interested in an upgrade, check with your TA and see what can be done ahead of time and how many vacancies there are on the ship.

Truluv: Please define *full fare* - you paid every penny that the cruise had been listed for online right before you sailed????

This surprises me (ok maybe it doesn't:rolleyes: ) but if you are paying for an upgrade, seems to me you should get the additional credit........

This surprises me (ok maybe it doesn't:rolleyes: ) but if you are paying for an upgrade, seems to me you should get the additional credit........

This surprises me also. I would definitely be calling the C&A department and having a talk:confused:

Well, what their continued explanation to me was that it wasn't a full fare but a pier upgrade for a reduced price.

Well, what their continued explanation to me was that it wasn't a full fare but a pier upgrade for a reduced price.

Sounds like a good corporate line:D .......and if it WAS reduced, that makes some sense..........but I'm not sure it is worth the effort to call or write C&A......

Interesting, when I got the upgrade for my Hawaii cruise in 2004, I tried several times with C&A and could not get them to budge.

I didn't even ask for it. I just got it. Just lucky, I guess.

I didn't even ask for it. I just got it. Just lucky, I guess.

I'm not sure booking a guarantee would fall under the same premise as trying to upgrade at the pier.........

but maybe I misunderstood your situation........regardless........we never want to question a possible error in our favor........:rolleyes:

Last Sep. Labor Day cruise on Mariner, I treated my mom for her birthday. I booked a balcony guarantee. Awhile after final payment, I got a note from th T/A that I had been upgraded to a complimentary JS. Why, don't know. I am a diamond member. Maybe they took pity on me... just kidding, mom and I had a great time! It was her 70th bday treat/

I also noticed on line that I was given two credits for it.:)

I don't know if this is a good analogy or not, but I've paid full price for first class air fare, I've been bumped up to full class, and have paid a $75 at the gate fee to be upgraded. Regardless of how I paid for the first class seat, I was always treated to the same amenities everyone else had.

One time I pulled out a magazine, in coach class, and someone left a full throw up bag, (that must have been old) and it spilled all over my shoes. After one attendant gave me some towels and air spray, I had to hold a blanket over my lap and stick the other end in the other seat, cuz it stunk so badly. :mad: As the plane was full my Mom and I couldn't relocate. Finally a head stewardess came back and said, would you follow me please. Yup, first class, with many apologies, and a $200 voucher for future travel for Mom and I. That was with Delta, and I didn't even ask for it.

Long story but...I think they should give the full credits or amenities when you are in the particular category.

Just think, some people on our cruise will pay $1000 more for their cabins than we did because of timing, but we each receive the same amenities for the class of cabin we are staying in.

My .02

Welllllll, since I'm hearing all these wonderful stories of some folks getting their extra cruise credit, I have put in another formal request for review with C&A and will follow-up with another phone call after I hear from them. This is 3 years old (this month), but we'll see if the story has been changed.

I'm not sure booking a guarantee would fall under the same premise as trying to upgrade at the pier.........

but maybe I misunderstood your situation........regardless........we never want to question a possible error in our favor........:rolleyes:

This was in response to Merion Moms post of some people getting 2 credits for upgrades they didn't pay for.

A guarantee what? You can book a guarantee an inside, outside, balcony, suite.

I booked an ocean view guarantee on 3 day monarch.

Ok what if you are on an 11 day cruise and due to weather or some other reason, you spend another night at sea.

Do you get credit because it turned into a 12 day?

lol. Good question. ;) :D

I don't know if this is a good analogy or not, but I've paid full price for first class air fare, I've been bumped up to full class, and have paid a $75 at the gate fee to be upgraded. Regardless of how I paid for the first class seat, I was always treated to the same amenities everyone else had.

One time I pulled out a magazine, in coach class, and someone left a full throw up bag, (that must have been old) and it spilled all over my shoes. After one attendant gave me some towels and air spray, I had to hold a blanket over my lap and stick the other end in the other seat, cuz it stunk so badly. :mad: As the plane was full my Mom and I couldn't relocate. Finally a head stewardess came back and said, would you follow me please. Yup, first class, with many apologies, and a $200 voucher for future travel for Mom and I. That was with Delta, and I didn't even ask for it.

Long story but...I think they should give the full credits or amenities when you are in the particular category.

Just think, some people on our cruise will pay $1000 more for their cabins than we did because of timing, but we each receive the same amenities for the class of cabin we are staying in.

My .02

Your a good sport. I would have added my own barf bag to that!!!!:eek:

In Dec. 2006 we upgraded at the pier from an inside room to a balcony on the Rhapsody. We paid $459 per person for our inside room. The balcony rate two days before sailing was $1099 per person. When we upgaded at the pier the cost to upgade to an outside room was$300 per room and to upgrade to a balcony was $400 per room. No other discount was accepted. This the only time we have seen an upgrade be available. Jumped at the price. That made the cost for our balcony only $649 per person for a seven day cruise. Good luck.

Archived