All Things Mariner Of The Seas

a quick question, I am writing a review of our 15-April-2007 cruise on the Mariner. A beautiful ship, but absolutely the worst food in 11 cruises. Is this the forum for the completed cruise reviews? I found so many previous reviews in Cruise Critics helpful to me in navigating around this large ship.

Thank you,

Was this the last saying before she went into Drydock? Hopefully that's why the food was bad? Sorry to hear the food was not up to par...we have never had a bad meal on RCCL. Hope it didn't ruin your cruise

Was this the last saying before she went into Drydock? Hopefully that's why the food was bad? Sorry to hear the food was not up to par...we have never had a bad meal on RCCL. Hope it didn't ruin your cruise

oh no, not at all. Its a beautiful ship, lots to do and see. We were annoyed at first but got used to it as the week went on. The food is a big part of a cruise, especially if you have been on several as we have, so our expectations were higher. I think there was 1 or 2 more cruises til drydock, but that's still not an excuse for the food severed that week.

:D This was such a great idea that ChristieNJ had for the Explorer that I decided to start a Mariner thread. So lets here from all you cruisers. Past cruisers, cruisers to be, present cruisers, lets here your stories, ideas, questions, comments, and share those pictures people!!! I hope everyone enjoyes!!!!:D

Glad I could be of service! :p This ship does sound great too. I'll just have to book ANOTHER cruise just to find out!! ;) Enjoy your thread!! :)

I will never forget on that Innagural sailing, everything smelt sooo new, the towels were full, the robes were brand new......

That was cute! You reminded me of that line in Titanic:

"The china had never been used...the sheets had never been slept on..." :p

Ok I'll stop invading your thread now. :o

1) What is "Quest"? I keep seeing this but have no idea what it is... It can be fun but also can be very adult, has been known to have nudity.

2) any secret places to lounge? Any specialities of the spa not to be missed? Sevral places around the ship. It depends on who finds them first but for sun the heli pad area is good.

3) What is the "mystery dinner"

Mystery dinner have not seen it on many ships.

I was on the April 1st, 2007, sailing with my DH and three kids. We all had a great time. It was my 4th RCCL ship and my favorite so far. It started with the happy crew. All the service people were even better than the usual outstanding RCCL service. The cruise director, Graham Seymour, was GREAT. He was on Navigator last year, so I'm not sure how long he's been on Mariner. He was my favorite cruise director yet. The ship was beautiful and, for better or worse, we barely saw the kids. What a great ship!!!:D

LowCountryGal- I saw cabin 7692, JS aft balcony cabin but was wondering if you caould compare that balcony to 7688 or 7388...I have had both the corner afts but never a JS...

Love, love, love this ship! I just can't get enough of her!

Rose, I'm going to nominate you to Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Concierge !!! :D

I just ran across this thread and saw your posts. I remember that you were the first person to post on our June 4,2006 cruise thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=199130&highlight=2006

That was a great cruise with a great group of CC's.

Happy Sailings to You and your Family.

Jeff

I can't comment from personal experience re: Quest, as I have never participated. There are numerous threads that can explain it better. It's an adult game (no children) that is wild & crazy.

As far as lounging places, the helipad offers a quiet and beautiful view -- often a teenage make-out area at night though. I like Ellington's way up top (Deck 14) at night, it's magical. The Meet & Mingle is usually held there in the early afternoon on the first day at sea.

Murder mystery dinner -- again, I've never done that. It's an interactive dinner. Reservations are needed, it's done at Portofino speciality restaurant.

Don't know if that helps any! Good luck!

Happy Sails!

LowCountryGal- I saw cabin 7692, JS aft balcony cabin but was wondering if you caould compare that balcony to 7688 or 7388...I have had both the corner afts but never a JS...

Love, love, love this ship! I just can't get enough of her!

Hey Kruz,

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you anything about these cabins. I have never had a corner aft cabin, never been located aft at all, nor have I ever stayed in a JS.

I snap photos of cabins I would like to have during disembarkation! This way I can muse about them at home.

As you well know, the corner aft cabins have the largest balconies for that grade. The junior suite gets you a wider room, upgraded bathroom, and sofa closer to the balcony instead of the bed, and of course.....2 cruise credits with C&A!

I have a few photos of a JS balcony that I can email you if you'd like -- then you can compare from your own experience with corner aft balcony.

My email is listed in my profile if you want to contact me for photos.

Like you, I love that ship too!

Don't know I've helped you any! There are sure to be posters on this thread that can compare for you from their personal experience in those cabins! If not Kruz, you'll just need to book an aft JS and be our resident expert!! :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Rose

Rose, I'm going to nominate you to Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Concierge !!! :D

I just ran across this thread and saw your posts. I remember that you were the first person to post on our June 4,2006 cruise thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=199130&highlight=2006

That was a great cruise with a great group of CC's.

Happy Sailings to You and your Family.

Jeff

Hey-yy-yy Jeff!

How wonderful to see you! Long time! How's Beth?

Mariner concierge? Hans, that honor is all yours!! :D YOU were the one that started that Roll Call thread and were hanging 'solo' for about 3 months til I chimed in. Soon afterwards, that thread was on fire with all sorts of lively chatters pre and post cruise See what YOU started??

I still savor last June's cruise aboard the Mariner! What a great group we had at our Mingle! Dixon (Taminator) helped preserve those memories with his excellent photography and setting up the Flickr site for us to compile our photos! Oh the laughs we had and what a pleasure to bump into Mingle acquaintances all during the cruise.

I wish we were doing the Eastern with you this year. We are doing the Eastern the exact same week, but in 2008. I've looked into the pricing and if the kids are out of school before Memorial Day (that holds true for us!) you can save a bundle by cruising in May vs. June. It's amazing how much difference one week can make with respect to price! I'll be interested in hearing about the Eastern, since we haven't done that route since 2004. I'll also be interested in knowing how many teens are aboard a late May cruise vs. early June like we've been doing.

We tried the Radiance class this past Dec, it was ok, but not for us at least at this point in time while we are still traveling with a teen. Our experience was that the Radiance did not offer the teens as much as the Voyager class ships do, and that made a big difference for us! So we are VERY glad to be back!

Keep chiming in here!

Have a great cruise! I'll look for your review!

Rose

Thank you! I figured that they probably did, but I have only seen a few pics of the 2nd and 3rd levels and they only showed small tables. Is one level better than the rest or is it pretty much the same no matter where you are?

Well, we were on the 1st level on the Voyager, the 3rd level on the Mariner and would like to be on 2nd level this time, but you really are whevever they put you - I guess you could request, but we never do. Once you arrive on the ship, go straight to the dining room to find your table - if you don't like it, go see if you can change it. They may accomodate you - if they can. We have always been happy with the arrangements.

Hi Y'all !!!!

Well, I am glad to hear that she is out of drydock. Guess we are not getting flat screens.

Not that it really matters anyway.. Never in the room to watch it enough to care.;) So what do you fellow mariner lovers think about the rumors of our Lady in White, moving out of PC and being replaced with a Freedom or larger ship? I have mixed emotions on this.

For starters, we live 1 hour from port so it would make a new ship easier for us to get to and try.

Second, I really would be sad to see her go. She was my first ( and you never forget your first:p )

Oh well. Things change and the world won't stop because of it.

Toodles,

Blake

We LOVED our Mariner cruise. We were in one of the family oceanview staterooms, all six of us, it was perfect for us and our young children. We're trying the Freedom this time. You can view our Mariner pictures by the link in my signature.

Lisa, I loved looking at your pictures -- your kids are adorable!

We'll be on Mariner again next month. (It was also our first!) I would be sad to see her move, but I guess it would force us to try something different. Port Canaveral works well for our family, because my parents live about an hour away, so when we cruise, it's easy to tag on a few days at either end to visit with them.

We also live about an hour from the port. We love Mariner. I too will have mixed emotions if they move the Mariner and replace her with Independence as rumors suggest. I think Freedom class ships are too big and the cost is more also. I think Mariner is the perfect size.

As mentioned if they put in a Freedom class in addition to Mariner, that would be fine, but somehow I doubt that will happen. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Katie

The staff Captain on Enchantment told me that they are trying to figure out how to put the Mariner on the West Coast. He said the problem they are having is there is no place to dry dock a ship the size of the Mariner on the West Coast. I think they are trying to work with the Navy in San Diego on that one. He did say they want to bring a bigger ship to PC as business is good.

Lisa, I loved looking at your pictures -- your kids are adorable!

We'll be on Mariner again next month. (It was also our first!) I would be sad to see her move, but I guess it would force us to try something different. Port Canaveral works well for our family, because my parents live about an hour away, so when we cruise, it's easy to tag on a few days at either end to visit with them.

Jules815,

We are also from Chicago suburbs, closer to the WI line. My in-laws lived in Titusville just until recently. I feel like we've lost our "2nd home!!"

Jules815,

We are also from Chicago suburbs, closer to the WI line. My in-laws lived in Titusville just until recently. I feel like we've lost our "2nd home!!"

You might not live too far from me then. We're in Cary. :)

The Mariner in Port Canaveral is great for those of us who want a bit of Disney before we sail.

What's funny is that last Nov. with Disney, we took our first, last and only cruise. (HA -- little did we know we would get hooked) I just looked at the video I took at the sail away party. I am panning off the side and there's this big ship not too far away. I narrate, "Wow that ship looks big, what is it?" I zoom on the name, "Hmmmm Mar -- Mariner---Oh Mariner of the Seas, Wow it's big!"

Little did I know I would be booking a cruise on that ship 6 months later!:eek:

The Mariner in Port Canaveral is great for those of us who want a bit of Disney before we sail.

What's funny is that last Nov. with Disney, we took our first, last and only cruise. (HA -- little did we know we would get hooked) I just looked at the video I took at the sail away party. I am panning off the side and there's this big ship not too far away. I narrate, "Wow that ship looks big, what is it?" I zoom on the name, "Hmmmm Mar -- Mariner---Oh Mariner of the Seas, Wow it's big!"

Little did I know I would be booking a cruise on that ship 6 months later!:eek:

LOL!!! Thats hilarious!! :D You'll have a great time!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Mariner December 16th. Can anyone tell me how the rooms compair to Carnival. We have an Balcony room on deck 7. I want to say it's an Ocean View Delux or something like that. Are the rooms bigger than a walk in closet??

Hi I have a couple of questions. I forgot if the Mariner has a mini fridg? And have the beds been changed to the new bedding? I see there are no flat screen TVs but like someone said...who's in the room long enough;)

Ronrocks, yes a balcony room is bigger than a walk in closet!:) I find there was plenty of room for 2, and actually found it easy or roomier than Carnival, not sure why they say the dementions are less!

Thanks for this thread it'll help get me thru till Jan.

MAO

Archived