Which cruise in Europe?

Hello,

My husband & I want to do a european cruise next summer. Ideally, we'd like to do one that's longer than 7 days but shorter than 14. It'll be my first time in Europe so we're taking apprx 15-18 days to do a cruise and land vacation (before/after or a little of both.)

It seems like there are a lot of different options but we'd like to go from ports where we can fly non stop to/from LAX. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We're pretty flexible on which ports to visit...we're both pretty active so we wouldn't mind doing lots of excursions.

If it were a perfect world -- I'd like to be able to see London as well as Paris on our way to/from the cruise. Can this be done without exhausting ourselves and our budget?

Speaking of budget, what's a good figure to have in mind just for the cruise portion (in a balcony?)

Sorry, lots of questions but I thought I'd turn to the experts first.:D

Oops, I forgot to also ask -- what time of year would be ideal? We originally thought June but we're pretty flexible on that.

Thanks!

We did a 12 day Med cruise on the Golden Princess last year and had a great time. We left from Barcelona, saw Monte Carlo, Livarno (Florence/Pisa), Naples (Pompeii/Herculaneum/Capri), Athens, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Istanbul and ended in Venice. We had a great time on this cruise and then stayed an extra 3 nights in Venice. Once you are in Europe there are low cost airlines similar to SEAL that you can use to travel or there are also very good and fast train service.

If Paris is a must then a cruise that starts or ends in London might be the ones to check out as then you can take the train to Paris after the cruise.

We did our cruise last year in July and it was extremely hot. In a lot of countries in Europe they get a month's vacation and sometimes whole areas will be shut down in either July or August when everyone takes their vacations.

Most European cruises with American companies (HAL, Princess, Celebrity) are 10 to 14 days. Costa and other european cruise companies offer shorter one week cruises mainly in the Med.

One way to research cost is go to an online cruise site like *****.com and use their search feature to check out different cruises.

Have a great next cruise.

Hello,

My husband & I want to do a european cruise next summer. Ideally, we'd like to do one that's longer than 7 days but shorter than 14. It'll be my first time in Europe so we're taking apprx 15-18 days to do a cruise and land vacation (before/after or a little of both.)

It seems like there are a lot of different options but we'd like to go from ports where we can fly non stop to/from LAX. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We're pretty flexible on which ports to visit...we're both pretty active so we wouldn't mind doing lots of excursions.

If it were a perfect world -- I'd like to be able to see London as well as Paris on our way to/from the cruise. Can this be done without exhausting ourselves and our budget?

I noticed you are looking for more than 7 days but we did 7 days Barcelona - Marseilles- VilleFranche(Nice,Cannes,Monaco/Monte Carlo) - Livorno(Pisa/Florence) - Civitavecchia(Rome) - Naples(Capri,Sorrento,Pompeii) - Day at Sea - Barcelona and liked it. We had flight tru London and on the way back we spent day in London and really enjoyed it. It's not too far from London to go to Paris and can be done.

About $$. We don't have huge budget so we really were trying to find lowest price for everything.

Our flight was 570 round trip from Boston ( It's 1140 for two)

Inside cabin $720 X2 = $1440.

Tours

Ship tours Marseilles $40 X 2 = $80 4 hours tour.

Ship tour Monaco/MonteCarlo $55(I think) = $110

Livorno (Pisa/Florenc) - private tour with 4 other people with www.driverinrome.com (with Academi Museum) $270 for two with tips.

Civitavecchia(Rome) - private tour with 4 other people with www.driverinrome.com (with Vatican Museum) around $260 for two

Naples - we really wanted to go everywhere but were dead tired so sailed to Capri( I think $30 round trip) and went on small boat around Capri with Blue Grottos ( Laser Capri tour company) $34 Euro Loved it!!! In the afternoon we went to Naples and had city tour on double decker with narrations. $18 X 2.

Ship tour Barcelona city tour and transfer to airport $37 X 2 = $74 (Hotel next to airport around $100 night) I would loved to stay in Barcelona around Las Ramblas for longer time but we were limited in time and $$.

On our way back we visited London $100 roundtrip on Heathrow express (25 pounds per person) and 30 pounds ($60) city tour on double decker bus with narrations.

All in all it was around $4500 .

Keep in mind land portion of Europe is very costly as any decent hotel/restaurant will be expensive. (at least for us) For the same accomodations(if you find them) in London/Paris you'll be paying $250 night compare to $160 (Marriott and such) here in US.

We traveled alot in Europe and thankfully we have friends living in Germany (right next to Belgium/Holland and even France) and with all breakfeasts/dinners at their home we usually spend around $3000 for the trip(with air in the fall).

Good luck!

For longer cruise than 7 days take a look at Brilliance of the Seas(Royal Caribbean), also Celebrity. We have seen Star Princess docked next to us in Barcelon(10 days itinerary).

(Sorry for errors ;) didn't have any time to do proof reading, and English my second language)

Try looking into easyjet for cheap airfare between Paris and London, it may be cheaper and faster than the train. As for hotels in Paris, you can find less expensive ones. They are not top quality but they have a bed and bathroom! We stayed at a hotel in Paris for about 80 euros (~$100) per night and it really was fine. This was in December so I don't know what the high season prices are, but it is possible to find cheaper hotels. As for London, we stayed with friends there so I can't comment on hotel prices, but everything in London is very expensive so I would assume hotels are also. I can't comment on costs since our cruise is August 18 (12 nights), but I have estimated about 1200 euros (~$1500) for off shore excursions, not including what is spent on the ship and the cost of the cruise and airfare were about 2800 euros (~$3500) for two people.

Hope that helps!

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for the extremely helpful responses.

wwinfl91, Thanks for the tip -- unfortunately, I couldn't find very many cruises out of London (only 1 and it was out of our budget). Btw, how did you like the Golden Princess? We are doing our first Princess cruise in Dec and want to book an open cruise to take advantage of the shipboard credit.

Tatka, did you feel like the 7 days was too short? It seems like you guys had a very active trip on a reasonable budget. Thank you for posting the breakdown of your trip. Which ship were you on?

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for the extremely helpful responses.

wwinfl91, Thanks for the tip -- unfortunately, I couldn't find very many cruises out of London (only 1 and it was out of our budget).

I saw one on Royal Caribbeans site that left London, sometime in late May I think it was and was on Legend of of the Seas.

We had a really good time on Princess. We are scheduled to sail on the Island Princess in October for a Hawaiian cruise. We enjoyed the presonal choice dining and felt the Golden was particularly well designed in that it never felt like you were on this enormous ship. There were lots of places where you could sit and enjoy yourself.

Did you check for Med cruises leaving or ending in Livarno or Genoa? I think Costa and maybe First European had 7,8 and 10 day cruises in the Med that left from and returned to there. You would then be relatively close to the Italian French border with opportunities to then go to Paris.

Just a little more information. Another cruise line to check is MSC cruise line. It is another Italian cruise line. Both it and Costa sail from both Genoa and Savona, which is evidently close to Genoa.

You might also check cruises that start in Venice. A lot of cruise lines seem to start and end cruises there.

here's how I selected my 2004 itinerary -

1) we were on Royal Princess last summer & we liked the intimacy of a smaller ship (1200 pax) and wanted a Med. itinerary for 2004 which the Royal was offering

2) we didn't want the heat of summer (July/Aug) so hoped that Sept would be not too hot & humid (temp charts showed it 70s & low 80s). We didn't consider May/June b'c of other commitments.

3) we didn't want to get near Greece b'c of the Olympics this year

4) we were concerned Turkey wasn't safe enough so we eliminated all itineraries with ports of call in Turkey

5) I liked the idea of starting in London (shorter air hop over the pond) rather than Barcelona or Rome or Venice

So... we selected the Royal Princess for 4 September. And, as a bonus, we got a lower deposit rate for booking onboard plus a shipboard credit to boot!

Re cruise lines, we've traveled on Carnival once b4 (no thanks); HAL - YES; NCL (only if the itinerary and/or price is unbeatable); RCI (acceptable alternative if ship isn't too big and price is much cheaper than X); X - YES; Princess - YES (if ship isn't a mega liner)

For costs, we have an outside (not a balcony) and are on a 12 day cruise.

Cruise Costs $4,900.00 (2 ppl)

Transportation (Gatwick to London Hotel) $100.00

Hotel no charge (using rewards points)

Food London 3 days x 2ppl $360.00

Excursions London 3 days x 2ppl $180.00

Excursions - Ship 12 days x 2ppl $1,400.00

Cruise Tips 12 days x 2ppl $250.00

Transportation (Port to Rome w/another couple) $100.00

Hotel - Rome 2xRome (1ni reward pts; 1ni $305) $305.00

Food Rome 3 days x 2ppl $200.00

Excursions Rome 3 days x 2ppl $150.00

Transportation (Rome to airport) $60.00

Spending Money - food & souvenirs $75/day x 12 days $900.00

the breakdown for our excursions while on the ship -

City Country Excursion Operator Price Total

London Gbritain Palace private $24.25 $48.50

London Gbritain Mews private $8.50 $17.00

London Gbritain Ceremony of Keys private $ - $-

London Gbritain Theatre - Mouse private $32.75 $65.50

LeHavre France Honfleur private $50.00 $100.00

Vigo Spain Santiago private $90.00 $180.00

Lisbon Portugal Highlights Princess $44.00 $88.00

Cadiz Spain Legendary Seville Princess $162.00 $324.00

Casablanca Morocco Rabat Princess $39.00 $78.00

Gibraltar Highlights private $30.00 $60.00

Barcelona Spain Highlights Princess $34.00 $68.00

Cannes France Scenes Princess $99.00 $198.00

Livorno Italy Sampler Princess $84.00 $168.00

Livorno Italy Accademia private $17.50 $35.00

Rome Italy Excavation private $12.00 $24.00

now we're talking about a trip to Venice in 2005. Still looking at ships and itineraries but have it narrowed down to 3 (Celebrity, Oceania, & Holland America). Here's our logic for our next cruise -

1) We want to cruise into/out of Venice! (into preferred for the WOW affect).

2) We want a smaller sized ship (X Millie @ 1950 pax; Oceania @ <700 pax; HAL @ 1300 pax) vs. a larger (Golden Princess @2600 pax) [Royal is being turned over to P&O in May 05 so it will not be plying European waters in '05 for Princess]

3) we want different ports than we'll experience in 2004 (Greek isles, Croatia, Naples, Nice)

4) want to revisit ports that had a lot to see in '04 (Rome, Florence) since we won't see it all the first time around!

5) want fall 2005 and thinking that October might be better temp wise than September

6) want to be in port on days where the museums are open - not sure if I want to be in Rome on a Sunday or not....????

Since starting my research, we found out that Venice streets flood in late October so we moved up our date from October to September (or maybe even April if we select Oceania). As far as comparing prices of each line, for an inside with air included - Celebrity prices out to $237pp/day; Oceania is only a few bucks more/day at $244pp/day; and HAL is the most expensive at $273pp/day. However, they're all in the same ballpark so I wouldn't choose on price alone but have to factor in which has the best itinerary for us as well as the best dates.

good luck with your choices;hopefully this will be helpful to you.

We always work out our itinerary first and then look at the ships. With Europe we have always been with HAL as everything has slotted into place, such as the itinerary, the right time of year and the length of the cruise. We will not do a cruise under 13-14 days. It is just now worth the distance of flying for us.

We did the Baltics a few years ago and HAL had a wonderful trip leaving from Harwich and ending up in Copenhagen. That was in August and the correct time for that part of the world.

We liked the idea last year of sailing from Copenhagen to Rome. This was a great cruise with most interesting ports and we had fantastic weather in September.

This year we will be doing the Black Sea from Athens and ending up in Venice. Our cruise starts on the 3rd October and we are on a smaller ship. We needed to go in October due to a big family birthday at home. We will be seeing interesting ports and I will have my dream come true of sailing into Venice. What more could one ask for!

Jennie

Tatka, did you feel like the 7 days was too short? It seems like you guys had a very active trip on a reasonable budget. Thank you for posting the breakdown of your trip. Which ship were you on?

We were on Splendour of the Seas.. which is beautifull (even though not newest ship). We were not very impressed with their food. It was ok but nothing very special... Celebrity food would fit more for such a romantic cruise. ;) But I think I am making more out of it than I should.

Length of the trip? I think it was kind of short (I understand you gotta spend more than 1 day in each of Rome,Florence, Naples and French Rivira...but for that you have to do land vacation) , but also I am glad we didn't do 12-14 day cruise which would include Greece also...we would be very tired! Even after only 7 days of this very port intensive cruise I felt like I needed second vacation right away. Maybe it just me...but after somepoint I can take anymore information! I think Greece deserves special visit or cruise.

I would also enjoy a little bit longer stay in Europe but I have only 2 weeks (10 working days) of vacation a year!

wwinfl91-- thanks for help -- I'll be checking Costa today. Have a great time in Hawaii:D

usavvy2 -- oh my goodness!!! Your post is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for breaking down your method and costs. I just love how instrumental this board and members are when it comes to cruise planning! It's funny but your criterias (minus 3 & 4) are very similar to what we're looking for although I'm not too opposed to a longer flight into Rome or Venice. We're probably going to be using UAL miles so it would be ideal to find an itinerary that we could work with UAL's flights.

Aussi Gal --

What more could one ask for!
I hear ya! I know that which ever ship/ports we select -- we'll have a wonderful time too. Have a good trip -- it sounds awesome.

Tatka --

Even after only 7 days of this very port intensive cruise I felt like I needed second vacation right away.
That's what I was afraid of with a cruise that's too long. Since it'll be my first time -- I'll probably want to do *everything. But I also like leisure time on my vacations too.

I cannot thank you guys enough. All of your info is very helpful. I think we're trying to decide something by this week so we can put down a deposit (especially after that announcement from Celebrity/RCI?) . I'll be sure to come back to post which one we ended up booking.:)

We have done several European cruises on various lines. They keep getting better each time!

Our last two have been on HAL and we have three more cruises booked on HAL, two of them in Europe.

Select the itinerary you like and see what cruiselines go there. You will find many lines travel similar routes.

We prefer HAL for many reasons - great ambience, interesting itineraries very good food etc.

Check your TA and the internet agencies for the best price. See if your regular TA can match or at least come close to the best price you find. There's a lot to be said for the more personalized service.

We enjoy having a balcony on any cruise, but no matter what cabin category you are in, everyone has access to the same food and entertainment. The exception is Cunard's Queens , which have separate dining venues depending on your cabin category.

There are no bad itineraries in Europe, we have found. Our last eastern Med cruise was 12 days and the time just raced by!

Cruising is a great value in Europe. You pay in US dollars for your shipboard food, accommodations, entertainment and transportation while visiting many countries in which the high-priced Euro is the currency. (Only a few years ago .85 US cents bought one Euro, now it's closer to $1.25 US for one Euro.}

Save your money and start dreaming of a great European adventure!

I want to add that we prefer crusing in Europe in May or June or in Sept. or Oct. July and August can be very hot in Europe - oppressively so last summer. We also find that Europe is somewhat less crowded when school is still in session in the US.

Oceania Cruises has great European itineraries, and they offer free airfare. That made a great difference for us, since we aren't on a main route. I've read that they will deduct something from the price of the cruise if you don't book air with them. Their website is http://www.oceaniacruises.com. You'll find an area on this board about Oceania.

Oceania Cruises has great European itineraries, and they offer free airfare. That made a great difference for us, since we aren't on a main route. I've read that they will deduct something from the price of the cruise if you don't book air with them. Their website is http://www.oceaniacruises.com. You'll find an area on this board about Oceania.

I've checked this site and feel that with time on hands and carefull research their (even 2-for-1) can be easily beaten. I understand though that itinerary they have aren't roundtrips so airfare might be expensive to find on your own but still it's possible.

I checked Regatta , and it looks like a great ship for people who prefers smaller and intimate ships.

When I checked on October 2004 for similar cruises (Med with oceanview) I found that HAL charged 1199 to 2069 per person for 10 - 12 night cruises, and RCCL was at 2199 for 12 nights. We paid 1699 for both of us (2 for 1 sale) including free airfare, for an 11 night cruise on the Oceania Regatta. So I'd say they are pretty competitive.

When I checked on October 2004 for similar cruises (Med with oceanview) I found that HAL charged 1199 to 2069 per person for 10 - 12 night cruises, and RCCL was at 2199 for 12 nights. We paid 1699 for both of us (2 for 1 sale) including free airfare, for an 11 night cruise on the Oceania Regatta. So I'd say they are pretty competitive.

Category Brochure Fare Two for One Fare

OS $13198 $6599

VS $11198 $5599

PH $7598 $3799

A $5198 $2599

B $4998 $2499

C $3998 $1999

D $3598 $1799

E $3398 $1699

F $3198 $1599

You may want to check your credit card bill, it should be $1,699 EACH.

In my analysis for cruising the Med in 2005, an inside with air included

• - 9/19 Celebrity prices @ $229pp/day (includes pd cruise air @ $1100pp)
    - 4/25 Oceania at $244pp/day (includes the "free" air)
    - 9/24 HAL at $273pp/day (includes pd cruise air @$979pp)

so YES, Oceania IS comparable to Celebrity's pricing in the example above. (However, I DID NOT price an Oceania cruise in September 05 so there may be some disparity there.)

Serves me right for visiting the boards while I should be working, CruiseJunky! I started to gove the price for both of us, then changed the number to per person to compare it to what I'd already said. Of course, I forgot to change the per person part in my hurry. So, yes, we paid 1699 per person. When insurance, taxes etc. were added in, it came to 2,000 per person just about exactly. So, for an 11 night cruise it comes to 181 per night. Per person:)

Serves me right for visiting the boards while I should be working, CruiseJunky! I started to gove the price for both of us, then changed the number to per person to compare it to what I'd already said. Of course, I forgot to change the per person part in my hurry. So, yes, we paid 1699 per person. When insurance, taxes etc. were added in, it came to 2,000 per person just about exactly. So, for an 11 night cruise it comes to 181 per night. Per person:)

You got a good deal. Oceania has some great itineraries. Enjoy your trip.

Archived