water levels on the Danube

amd1234

Hello, I just read a thread from Steamboat and I am concerned about the water levels on the Danube. We are leaving May 30 and start our River Cruise from Nurenberg. Steamboat you mentioned Germany is having a drought and now I am worrying about the river levels..:eek: We are cruising the Legendary Cruise on the Danube leaving from Prague ending in Budapest. Anyone taking this cruise??? How is the weather that time of year?? Steamboat thank :) you for all your knowledge...Ann

Ann,

It all depends on the weather during the next few weeks. Right now we´re in the lower 80ies which is very unusual for April (and May). The river levels on the Danube are still o.k.. I haven´t heard of any restrictions regarding navigation. But noone can tell you anything about the river conditons or the weather by the end of May.

I´m booked on an Elbe river cruise out of Dresden leaving May 26th. And the river conditions there are even more difficult as there aren´t any locks and dams. There it´s already pretty low and we´re getting close to the point they have to stop navigation.

Usually you should have 60ies up to 70ies in May and getting warmer in June. Usually you should be prepared for some rain. But I doubt this year is a "usual" year.

steamboats

We just returned on the 28th from a Vantage river cruise on the Danube from Vienna to Bucharest. The river was fine but there are some concerns for later in the summer if rain doesn't occur. It was unseasonally warm during this trip with many days being in the 80's. Our last day in Bucharest, it did rain. Hopefully, there will be more on the way. This was a fantastic trip!

letsgo39,

Sorry, still no rain!!! The Danube river is low but still fine.

I´m more concerned about my Elbe river cruise in 3 weeks!! On May 1st there was the traditional steamboat parade in Dresden. The river was down to 96cm. They opened two dams in the Czech Republic and the water level went up to 165cm for the parade. It´s down again to 96cm with a forecast of 90cm for tonight. This is the water level even the steamboats are getting into troubles as there´s not enough water anymore at the landings. Cargo ships can´t go with heavy loads anymore and the Elbe river only has 20% of the usual river traffic right now.

At least our sky is cloudy right now but no rain yet.

steamboats

We sailed the identical itinerary last August and had the opposite problem. The water level was high and the ship had to take on water ballast to submerge to a point where it could get under the bridges on the Rhine/Danube canal. Our cabin window, on the bottom deck, was 50% underwater as we sailed along! Once we made it through the canal to Regensburg, the ballast was jettisoned and we were above sea level again. We had cold, rainy weather for two days, including the Saltzburg excursion, so a lack of rain isn't all bad!

Leaving for the airport at Dulles (DC) in another hour for our Uniworld European Serenade itinerary beginning in Vienna and disembarking in Amsterdam. Haven't seen anything here in the past few days that'd make we worry about river levels, thank goodness!!! Yaaaaaay!!

...Karl

Just returned from Budapest - Vienna - Budapest.

When sailing from Budapest to Vienna the depth under the keel was 20 cms.

We had some heavy rain in Vienna, at at the time of leaving yesterday (11/5/07) water levels were fine.

Boat was Johnann Strauß - sister ship to the Bolero which is chartered by Gate 1.

• 2 weeks later...
I am concerned about the water levels on the Danube.

Ann,

We just got back today from an excellent Uniworld Vienna to Amsterdam cruise. The portion of our cruise from Vienna to the Danube-Main-Rhine canal went just fine on the Danube portion. Of course, Steamboat has better info I'm sure. I think I heard they're being cautious about the Danube later in the season if they don't start to get rain.

This was our 13th cruise, the second with Uniworld. This one was even more terrific than our first Uniworld cruise. I'll try to post a review once I get my internal clock re-adjusted back 6 hours.

Enjoy your cruise!!

KarlS,

Glad you enjoyed the cruise and that you are happy with Uniworld, I am looking forward to your review.

Was the weather pleasant, and how about the river levels are they still in need of rain?

It is good to have some reports from Uniworld passengers, I have read a few not so good comments about some other river-boat companies.

Thanks for your input.

Was the weather pleasant, and how about the river levels are they still in need of rain?

We had really nice weather. During the two weeks, we had one overcast day (but it didn't rain until we were back aboard and underway at dark), and one all-day chilly soaking rain in Bamberg. The other days were sunny with blue skies; temps were all over the scale... from pleasantly cool to downright warm. Our last day, from Dusseldorf up to Amsterdam, it was so hazy and warm you'd think it was weather directly transported from the pictures of LA's gunky air. In some places, you couldn't see from one side of the river Rhine to the other. Pretty gross. Couldn't tell if it was just resulting from all of the heavy industry or an abnormal condiition. No complaints from us about the weather.

The wheat and hay crops looked good the whole trip, and in some places they were already into their hay's first cutting, but the sugar beets and corn crops looked badly stunted in many areas because of the lack of rain.

I'll defer, as always, to Steamboat's reports on river conditions. :)

you are happy with Uniworld

We had our first river cruise with Uniworld on River Duchess back in April 2006 on their "Tulips & Windmills" itinerary, Amsterdam to Antwerp, and it was an eye opener. It was such a pleasant cruising experience compared to ocean cruising on ships of mid-range size on our other dozen cruises. This most recent cruise, also (only by coincidence) aboard Uniworld's River Duchess, was an even more satisfying and pleasureable cruising experience. The ship is still spotless, housekeeping/linens/beds/towels excellent, the food selection, variety, and presentation very very good, the dining room staff and dining room manager the most experienced and pleasant we've ever enjoyed; the hotel manager and cruise manager were absolutely the most accommodating and eager-to-please of any cruise we've ever been on. The local guides for the walking tours at every stop, included in the cost of the cruise, were again personable, knowledgeable, and easy to understand. (Uniworld uses small radio receivers with earpieces for every person on the walking tours at each stop along the river, so the local guide can be heard without shouting and while walking). Uniworld really does take responsibility for everything, except, (according to our hotel manager), the weather, which he graciously reminded us was "our" responsibility. ;)

We've never, ever, been lured into booking a follow-on cruise while still aboard a cruise, but we did this time, for another Uniworld cruise, on River Queen, for next May on its Rhine-Moselle itinerary. It'll stop at some of the other nice cities/towns we sailed past on this most recent cruise.

The Uniworld cruise experience, at least in our opinion, has the very best of every facet of the personal attention a "boutique hotel" experience can muster. Every staff person professional, courteous, happy, and willing to go way beyond what's necessary, all through the cruise. We were pleased to see many of the same staff, including the second captain, many of the dining room staff, and the executive chef, from our cruise on the same ship more than a year earlier. They all must be getting excellent ratings from passenger end-of-cruise surveys.

We love Uniworld so far. Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

...Karl

We too enjoy Uniworld. We did their Christmas Market cruise and their Russia cruise: both were great. In a few weeks we will be on the River Queen cruise you booked for next year.

What was that about booking a follow up cruise? I have not run into this on river cruises. Any special incentives, price breaks, etc., and can the reservation be transfered to our TA.

Yes, there are incentives--money off the cruise, best cabin available (not suite), and you are able to use your own TA. You give them a deposit and take the paperwork to your TA. We did it and would do it again. Pat

What was that about booking a follow up cruise? I have not run into this on river cruises. Any special incentives, price breaks, etc., and can the reservation be transfered to our TA.

In our situation, there was a $200 per person discount for booking aboard the current cruise, another $100 per person "prior cruiser" discount, and for the month of May, another $100 discount per person, for a total of $400 off (maybe list price?) per person,... $800 off per cabin. I figured I'd get home and check what the "early booking" discount was in this year's catalog, to compare that with the total off each passenger for the upcoming cruise. The no-brainer is you have 30 days in which to review, change, cancel with no penalty. And yes, you can choose to either use Uniworld directly or your favorite/past cruise agent for the advance booking.

We just returned on the 28th from a Vantage river cruise on the Danube from Vienna to Bucharest. The river was fine but there are some concerns for later in the summer if rain doesn't occur. It was unseasonally warm during this trip with many days being in the 80's. Our last day in Bucharest, it did rain. Hopefully, there will be more on the way. This was a fantastic trip!

Dear DD@Sea:

We're on Vantage's Grand European -- Amsterdam to Bucharest -- at the end of June through end of July.... We're on the brand-new River Discovery, in a junior suite.

We do lots of ocean cruising, but this is our first RIVER cruise.

Can you -- or anyone -- tell us more about Vantage, particularly the new ship?? Website says the junior suites have bath TUBS. Can anyone confirm?

THANKS,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

Phoenix, AZ USA

Ditto. I am so sorry. I got carried away.... :o

But I WOULD be grateful to hear if the WATER LEVELS ARE UP (??) -- as our cruise starts June 27 in Amsterdam and continues down the Rhine and Danube through the end of July at the Black Sea.

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

I would also like to know about the water levels. Steamboats will be back soon so she should be able to answer that question.I have a few web sites that show water levels but I don't speak German so I am at a loss as to what they say.:eek:

On a recent river trip from Amsterdam to Budapest, the waters were low. The river banks and canal sides were high and dry. The first eight days (April 28- May) on the Rhine and canals were not bad. Europe had been having an unusually long stretch of dry, warm weather. When we got to Vienna there was one day of steady but light rain. This got the Danube up higher as had been a concern on my River Vessel. The waters were turbulent and debris filled. I guess that you can monitor the daily weather reports on the various online sites and see how the rain is doing?

Archived